Lego Blacksmith Shop

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Lego Blacksmith Shop

Post by ganon578 »

Here's a cool set that I have never owned, but found instructions online for. Originally I thought it was some sort of European only set, but later found out that it was a custom Brickmania set built by Daniel Siskind in 2000. There were only 23 sets made; I found the instruction scans on Brick Factory. I modified a few things to jive with what parts I had on hand (see the tri-color roof...). Enjoy!!!

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nice! I've a real hankering for grabbing down all my sets from the attic soon... My problem with MOCs, though, is that so many parts are tied up in models already, and I find buying parts... tedious, TBH. I'm fine doing stuff on LDraw - http://counter-x.net/lego/customs/index.html (still proud of the oil rig :p) - but lose my way after that and just tend to spend my time and money trying to create as many grand prix cars as possible or recreating the characters from Twin Peaks, Biggles, the Rocketeer or anything else I've been watching recently.

Space is the big problem, because I /have/ to get the whole town down and set up, which is basically one large room filled.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Nice! I've a real hankering for grabbing down all my sets from the attic soon... My problem with MOCs, though, is that so many parts are tied up in models already, and I find buying parts... tedious, TBH. I'm fine doing stuff on LDraw - http://counter-x.net/lego/customs/index.html (still proud of the oil rig :p) - but lose my way after that and just tend to spend my time and money trying to create as many grand prix cars as possible or recreating the characters from Twin Peaks, Biggles, the Rocketeer or anything else I've been watching recently.

Space is the big problem, because I /have/ to get the whole town down and set up, which is basically one large room filled.
That oil rig is sweet. I go through swings of Lego building. Recently I've been obsessed, so I've made progress on custom sets. I'm gearing up for our move into a house in the next month or so. We will finally have a basement (currently in an apartment) which my wife says I can claim as a man cave. So I'll have some space for Lego creations. It's an exciting time all around!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

that's really cool! i've been having a lego phase myself (again) got some of my exo force down from the attic. i love these (mainly because they are worthless and therefore very cheap to buy off of ebay - perhaps the only lego sub theme that hasn't held its value!) and their crazy hair! There's a City bank set due out later this year which i have my eyes on. its been really great to see some non-emergency service stuff in the city range again. rather than hijack this thread, i might just start one of my own :) nice to see the inside of that blacksmith shop, i'd always wondered what the interior looked like.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'm fine doing stuff on LDraw - http://counter-x.net/lego/customs/index.html
I still maintain that that old-timey church is one of the best small building designs I've ever seen. I love how it's small enough to fit in with Castle sets or the old Town ones, without looking obviously 'downsized' like a lot of designs do.

The sad thing is, I don't think you can get all the knight parts in the old dark grey. Which is weird when you think about it, because you'd think statues like that would have shown up a set somewhere.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Cheers - the statue was more a way of sprucing up the picture, and would be the sort of thing made up a bit more ad-hoc in the event - probably simplified in black or something. I think it helps that people see a lot more different size churches than a lot of castle-type buildings - it can be a small-type chapel if you've got honking big castles around, or a church-church in a town full of buildings slightly larger than a truck...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Any idea if LDraw has got 3x1 tiles in the inventory yet? It was fairly recently (this year, I think) I tried, and was surprised at the absence, before finding out they'd only been released in 2010.

The other thing that's odd is LEGO don't appear to do a corner version of the 65 degree 2x2x2 slope... am I just missing something?