Comic recommendations for a newly enthralled novice?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

On the back of this topic, I just re-read The Ultimates, and my Christ it's brilliant, especially the second volume where it just keeps topping itself every single issue. What I wouldn't pay for a Transformers comic that took that sort of approach and was anywhere near as good, honestly.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Won the full set of Ocean on eBay for 50p (including postage!), and they arrived today. Look very pretty, so even if the story doesn't translate so well for comics, I think it's easily worth the money. (It cost the seller three times as much to post it! Bet they're regretting doing free postage on it now...)

:clap:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Last time I tried (admittedly a little while ago), ebay made it compulsory for books, magazines and comics to have free shipping.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cliffjumper wrote:Last time I tried (admittedly a little while ago), ebay made it compulsory for books, magazines and comics to have free shipping.
That's mental - remind me never to sell books on eBay.

That said, there are a few coming up with additional postage charges in a quick search for Ocean. I wonder if there's some weird cut-off or rule somewhere for the type of seller?

Anyway - I do feel a little sorry for the seller of my set of Ocean... But if it were me, I would have put it up starting at the cost of postage in this case!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Though IIRC apparently you can get round the postage thing by classing the books/comics ect as something else.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Actually, thinking about it, Sar listed some books recently and was able to charge postage, so they must've relaxed it in some categories at least... Mind, back issues especially are very much a buyer's market in the UK.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cliffjumper wrote:Mind, back issues especially are very much a buyer's market in the UK.
If that's the case I can see myself getting well into this comic lark!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Well, finally finished reading all the recent Marvel Cosmic stuff leading up to the Thanos Imperative - I am absolutely hooked! Still, I'll either wait for the Thanos Imperative paperback next year, or look for cheap copies on eBay (is there anywhere else worth looking for cheap comics?).

Moved on to Nextwave - just finished the first issue, and don't think I've laughed so much reading anything in a long time!

:lol:

Man, I have been missing out all these years! Comics are GREAT!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm following up on many - particularly the zombie stuff to begin with (awaiting I, Zombie #1 and The Walking Dead Compendium 1 in the post).

:cheers:

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

So, read the first issue of I, Zombie and am totally hooked - great stuff, and quite offbeat! Looking forward to reading the rest (although issue #2 was difficult to track down at a reasonable price, I got one in the end).

I was also very pleased when my neighbour's son knocked at the door last weekend with copies of The Thanos Imperative in hand - that was one heck of a mind-blowing and epic ride!

Also finished Nextwave - definitely the funniest thing I have ever read!

Ocean was also cool - it is extremely different in terms of pacing. It's pretty clear it was intended as a film - it's almost like a storyboard with speech bubbles (now and again...). Grand ideas though, which I would have thought only appear in novels and the rare intelligent space opera.

I am continuing to enjoy how cheaply you can pick up comics off eBay - I see this becoming a longlasting and enjoyable hobby. I don't know how I missed it all these years!

And, as a bonus, it is acceptable to my wife!

Wooooo!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's definitely a hobby that works better if you've got friends you can physically lend stuff to / borrow from.

Although the sometimes silly prices things go for on eBay (usually from relatively new members who haven't worked out how much paper costs to post, so there is a bit of a risk sales won't be honoured) is a bonus... got ex-library copies of the first four collected volumes of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men for something like ten quid a year or two ago...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Denyer wrote:It's definitely a hobby that works better if you've got friends you can physically lend stuff to / borrow from.

Although the sometimes silly prices things go for on eBay (usually from relatively new members who haven't worked out how much paper costs to post, so there is a bit of a risk sales won't be honoured) is a bonus... got ex-library copies of the first four collected volumes of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men for something like ten quid a year or two ago...
Wow - sounds a good deal!

Yeah - I can see this is something which works better with the possibility of exchanging stuff. Nextdoor neighbour's son has certainly been very helpful for this! All I could do was lend him some manga and the Marvel Dark Tower books, but hopefully it'll become a less one-sided relationship! He's lent me a few Ultimate X-Men books just now as well, which I've dipped in to - not getting a huge amount of depth from them, but they're good for action and nifty art at least.

I also have an old school friend who loves his Marvel stuff in particular across in Edinburgh, and a colleague who's well into comics (based way down in South Englandshire unfortunately, but we meet up sometimes - he tried to get me in to comics earlier in the year as it happens...) so there are opportunities...

Otherwise, I guess you are quite limited in what you're exposed to, and in what you can actually afford to buy. I gather you have to have a gazillion friends if you ever hope to keep up with the bigger Marvel picture without selling your house!

Also items on eBay.