Old Lego Castle set

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

Old Lego Castle set

Post by Ackula »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... b8fdc3499c

My step son found this set at a yard sale a few weeks ago, loose in a cardboard box of various 80's Lego parts, with tattered instructions. Today we sorted all the pieces out finally, and rebuilt it. We also added some pieces from a more modern Castle set that he had pieces of, to kinda freshen it up and customize it a bit. I'm pretty proud of what we threw together, it really made me nostalgic for the old Castle sets from my childhood, I actually had this exact same set growing up.

Here are a few pictures below, just click the link at the beginning of the post to see them all. :)

Ackula

Post by Ackula »

We also recreated this old Castle set using instruction scans we found online this morning, we slightly modified it to hold the knight's helmet as well, and made a few small modifications. :)

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is the first one based on the Castle Draco set? Actually, not sure if that was the set name, or what me and my brother named the thing... the one with the blue/black knights like those on the left battlements? I was always more on the side of the red/blue ones with the gold-trimmed lion logos, they were TEH HARDCORE. I also strongly remember massive excitement when crossbows were added to the Castle range, especially as they were dark grey (again, very rare at the time). I always did alright out of Castle - my brother was mad about it and spent all his pocket money on the stuff, but he always needed someone else to play. Especially as he always insisted on being the Forestmen and I was left with a couple of castles and forty-odd knights, men-at-arms and archers.

Nice stuff, anyway, cracking find too - plus good on you for getting you boy into Lego - not just because I like Lego, but because it's a good toy for kids to be into. Might cost you, though ;)
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Cliffjumper wrote:Is the first one based on the Castle Draco set? Actually, not sure if that was the set name, or what me and my brother named the thing... the one with the blue/black knights like those on the left battlements?
It is actually called "Black Falcon's Fortress" ;)
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6074-1

And the carriage we built is a highly modified version of this set...
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6022-1

With the Fortress we just added pieces from one of the more modern sets that was a Dwarf Mine, I bought it for him a couple of years ago but he wasn't really into it. He has always been into Lego's, but only now has he shown an interest in Castle stuff.

He actually loves any of the old school stuff, he is crazy about the old Space sets too, which there were a few in the same box that he bought at a yard sale. Historically speaking though, he has mostly been interested in the City and Lego Racers stuff. I'm hoping this new enthusiasm for Castle will continue though, I've had a blast sitting around building them with him this weekend, despite all the post-op pain I'm still feeling. We also built an awesome catapult today, I might get some pics up later today ;)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I think that was the first castle I put together myself as a kid. My first Lego Castle set was the Black Monarch's Castle, but my dad and grandfather built that one for me. It's also the only one from my childhood that I haven't put back together. Largely because so many of the pieces are missing and Bricklink is incredibly unwieldy for noobs.

I was really, really into the Castle Legos and I have a pretty cool setup under my train table.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Yeah, I showed the pictures of your Castle stuff to my step son and he is remarkably jealous! He is just now showing interest, but I was exclusively into the Castle stuff as a kid. Some of the newest Castle sets look very cool as well, he already wants me to get him some, but the prices are insane.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ackula wrote:It is actually called "Black Falcon's Fortress" ;)
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6074-1

And the carriage we built is a highly modified version of this set...
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6022-1

With the Fortress we just added pieces from one of the more modern sets that was a Dwarf Mine, I bought it for him a couple of years ago but he wasn't really into it. He has always been into Lego's, but only now has he shown an interest in Castle stuff.

He actually loves any of the old school stuff, he is crazy about the old Space sets too, which there were a few in the same box that he bought at a yard sale. Historically speaking though, he has mostly been interested in the City and Lego Racers stuff. I'm hoping this new enthusiasm for Castle will continue though, I've had a blast sitting around building them with him this weekend, despite all the post-op pain I'm still feeling. We also built an awesome catapult today, I might get some pics up later today ;)
That Castle set (6074, I think - can't be arsed going to check my set) was known as Castle Draco in the UK. Worldwide, it does bear the more prosiaic 'Black Falcon's Fortress'. in assembling my castle collection, I've been suprised to learn that the US/Canadian sets actually have the set's name on the box.