"Oh God, not more GI Joe pictures!"

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ahh, no, got it... Not exactly pop-on pop-off, though.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Hey! Talk more about the great picture I took!!!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Very tanky. Well done Hound. Yay Steeler. Et cetera.
Cliffjumper wrote:I love it when stuff turns up on the same day and you just get overload.
Conversely nothing came today and I'm sad. :(
Hound

Post by Hound »

I should be getting the HAL today and hopefully the weapons for my Hardhead today too. Yay!

I'm torn on whether or not I should get the VAMP and Clutch next or like 3 or 4 of the figures instead.

I'm planning to get all of the '82 figures and vehicles and stop there. It all depends on whether or not I can stop or whether or not i need to get a HISS tank, a Skystriker, the Wolverine and the WHALE.

I so wish that I'd been able to get that USS Flagg from that one guy a couple years back.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hound wrote:I so wish that I'd been able to get that USS Flagg from that one guy a couple years back.
Mmm. Flagg. Seriously, can you imagine trying to post one of those nowadays?

Just found a loose 25th Cutter for $10 shipped. Nice. Not sure if the hook and handle are held together by string or not, but for a bit of string I'm really not fussed. Saves me having to buy one of those boxsets and break it up.

Huh. If I can track down a Grunt, I'll have all the original thirteen Joes in 25th form. Well, once the others arrive, obviously. Not sure how that happened so quickly.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'd love to own the Flagg, but seeing as I doubt it ever came out here the shipping alone would be insane. What I must look into is what sort of boats came out in The Corps - for quasi-realistic stuff I'm not so fussed about brands, I'd love a patrol boat for Shipwreck to putter up and down rivers in

A tip for the Skystriker is you need display space for the thing - it's a beautiful toy, but just huge to the point of actually being quite difficult to do much with it. I've barely touched mine, but then that might just be because of the embarrassment that is my shitty Ace.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I've just been through and worked out exactly what and how many Cobra generics I've got on the way. I'm actually scared.

I won't say a number now, I'll just wait until they're all here and post a pic. Yay? :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Heh, awesome... I find my "won" section alone pretty terrifying.

I've taken a punt on the updated Airtight, having found one at not too extortionate a price... It was just kinda gnawing at me. I'm hoping that with the silver goggles left off and the possibility of maybe jury-rigging the original's backpack might have results, especially if he's a little bulkier like the G2 figures and looks a bit closer in size to Barbecue... If not, I'm sure I can sell him for enough to cover getting the little pipe I'm missing for the original.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Heh, awesome... I find my "won" section alone pretty terrifying.
I don't think it's fair that they tally up how much you've spent. :/

What's the difference between the regular 80s figures and the "G2" stuff?

Sidenote: Stubborn patience and refusal to be extorted pays off! My eminently sensible losing bid that I put in on a Best of the 80s DVD Pack resulted in me being emailed a second chance offer this morning. Result!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:What's the difference between the regular 80s figures and the "G2" stuff?
The G2 stuff takes a bit more variety in body proportions and the like, but without improving the articulation. If you can find ones that weren't in screwed-around colours they look passable alongside 25th figures, but very much as a 'for now' space-filler. About the only one that really fits that particular niche is Cover Girl - most of the better ones are of the likes of Cobra Commander, Flint, Roadblock, Tunnel Rat, Destro, Scarlett and so on who have since been superseded by the 25th stuff.
Sidenote: Stubborn patience and refusal to be extorted pays off! My eminently sensible losing bid that I put in on a Best of the 80s DVD Pack resulted in me being emailed a second chance offer this morning. Result!
Nice one!

Today's arrivals:

Wolverine tank for Cover Girl... Missing the top for the launcher-thing, but it stays on anyway. And it is Canadian, on the off-chance Sades is still out there persevering.

Armadillo with Steeler. Very cute, quite inspired to keep an eye out for cheap RoC Steel Panthers for an army of them... Great thing is the bucket-cockpit seems to find just about any type of figure. Steeler himself is a bit meh, only the head and webbing being different to Breaker - might have to get the tan version after all (especially as it's close to the Sunbow version). The webbing's a bugger, tending to drift so the pistol is smack in the middle of his chest rather than under the shoulder.

I like the mid/small sized vehicles - they might lack the detail and realism of the larger ones (there can't possibly be space on the Armadillo for all the machinery necessary), but they're a lot more fun.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:About the only one that really fits that particular niche is Cover Girl
Ah, the DTC one? Not sure on the floppy hair. Plus she seems to be only for the rich. Typical model.

Have this evening taken a step on a slippery slope - buying original figures for characters not covered by the 25th range. Cover Girl, Jinx and Zartan's siblings.

As you say, the two Joe girls are tiny anyway, so can probably get away with hiding away in the back. Plus I find the notion of the former model being the short dumpy one to be quite funny.

The main problem is that now I'm tempted by the notion of Convention Big Lob. To nearly round out the movie recruits. Boo!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The vintage stuff has a certain... daintiness to it that's quite endearing - something about the finish and uniform nature appeals. The G2 stuff falls between two stools, lacking that sort of vintage charm, while not as dynamic as the 25th gear. The vintage stuff displays alright next to 25th figures as long as you place them alright - Cover Girl looks fine next to Breaker, not so much next to Bazooka.

I seem to remember Jinx is tiny in continuity anyway - she's not a bad fit with Falcon or Beachhead. She starts off as a teenager in the comic before rapidly aging between issues too...

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Awh, he looks like he's drunk and trying it on.

So realistic!

ZOMG
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You'll be onto Ironblood next, you watch. I'd have one myself, but in my mind he's Cobra Commander, and I've got one of those.

And yeh, I spent ages trying to get them into a sort of friendly, understated hug, but that was about the only one where he doesn't seem to be sexually assaulting her. If you've not got Falcon yet, he has Flint Hands :( Shotguns just don't seem to work on the 25th stuff - because the rest of the figure looks so natural, you can't get away with the one-handed use like you could with the older stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote: Armadillo
Did that name get reused for a character for does that tank actually out rank Flint and Beachhead?

And is it me or does the name Z Force imply they're a bit shit?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Did that name get reused for a character for does that tank actually out rank Flint and Beachhead?
There's a tank called The Armadillo.

Later there was a character called Armadillo. Came packed with the Rolling Thunder, iirc.
And is it me or does the name Z Force imply they're a bit shit?
It means basically the same thing as The Ultimates, so take your pick.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ugh the Comic Pack Dreadnocks' accessories are awful.

Points for making the hose that connects Torch's acetylene torch to his backpack out of plastic rather than black hose, but it would help if it were long/flexible enough to actually get anywhere near his hand in a sensible position whilst plugged in. That's staying holstered/unplugged.

Ripper has groovy Jaws of Life, but they won't stay clipped onto the backpack and I have no clue what use the hose is meant to be. Hose and jaws to be filed. Shame. :/

Plastic's too rigid for them to stand straight on the stands, too. The unpegged leg just levitates up off the flat surface.

Crimson Twins are funky, though. Even if they can only just hold their guns (a common problem through the line, I'm noticing).

Air Trooper's cool, too. Shame he can't hold his standard rifle in his left hand whilst the aerocannon is plugged into the right. Two helmets and shaved head FTW.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I do find I'm switching in a lot of older weapons on the 25th figures - the handles tend to be fatter and wedge in a lot better. Plus practically no-one can hold their mini holster pistols...

Got Scarlett today, and she doesn't seem to be able to hold anything. Silly cow.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I got teh funky GI Joe greenshirts in the post today as well. Four weapons apiece. Four! Knife, pistol, machine gun, rifle... blimey charlie. Shame the variance in heads is offset by three different helmet designs, leaving it hit and miss as to getting the ****ers to stay on. Shame only the knife and pistol can be holstered and you need those silly translucent elastic bands for the machine guns to stay in place.

When Beachhead arrives, look forward to "hilarious" captioned photos of him drilling them and the threat that they'll need to do better than that if they ever want their own codename. Haha. So funny. :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

That's one of my favourite issues, just because Beachhead is such a hard bastard... The bit where he points out they are going back for the one they lost but in an awesomely logical way is a great pay-off. The one where he's in charge of an obvious fan-favourite team of reservists (Mercer, Cover Girl, Tunnel Rat, Low-Light and Jinx IIRC - oh, for that one getting a 25th comic pack...) is pretty good as well.

EDIT: The original box for that set is weirdly similar to the half-arsed photo-comic I haven't bothered lettering, which is basically just Firefly beating up all of my Joes.