"Oh God, not more GI Joe pictures!"

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Funny thing about Destro - I thought the pre-credits chap was laughably bad.
Not only was it awful, but it doesn't even have any bearing on the film. It gives backstory to the mask that Cakebastard's got knocking about, even if it's nothing that couldn't be handled in exposition... but he doesn't even end up donning the mask. Instead Stealth Reveal Cobra Commander just randomly decides to give him a metal face. I don't think he even bothers giving it any "you're proud of that mask, why don't we give you one of your own" supervillain bullshit.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The sheer amount of stupid decisions they made making the film is just flabbergasting. I'm not sure if they'd gone the other way it would have made it great or anything, it's too badly acted, directed, edited and plain ****ed from the base level due to nobody involved wanting to make a GI Joe film, instead preferring to take the money and make some random shit... But there would have been some positives, y'know? You could have said "I thought the bit where the Baroness has been stringing Duke along for the last reel and then turns on him once her arse is out of the fire was great, shame about the rest of it" instead of "Shame about all of it".

The most annoying thing about the bowlderising of the Baroness is that for something based on a kids' toyline, G.I. Joe was always pretty good to the female characters - they're usually portrayed as fairly capable and independant for the most part (I read somewhere that the Marvel comic actually had a fair few female readers for largely this reason).

Dammit, I want to buy Red Shadows now. They're farking expensive too...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well, I just bought the DVD set off Amazon. And Resolute. And preordered the new release of the animated film.

Bugger.

But at least I haven't bought Rise of Cobra on Blu Ray yet. Sadly this will happen eventually. It's really annoying knowing that I enjoyed a film with zero redeeming features. I just did. If only I knew why, I'd be happy.

The running flip bit with the accelerator suits is straight out of Ironhide in Mission City, too.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:Well, I just bought the DVD set off Amazon. And Resolute. And preordered the new release of the animated film.

Bugger.
Sorry.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, I thought it was supposed to be a twist Rex turned out to be the master villain. Was I the only one fooled by him turning out to be Cobra Commander?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Well, I thought it was supposed to be a twist Rex turned out to be the master villain. Was I the only one fooled by him turning out to be Cobra Commander?
Cliffy & Me wrote:"I honestly thought Cobra Commander was meant to be Dr. Mindbender for most of the scenes he was in"

"So did I. Apparently the guy in the bunker whose experiments he saw (that turned him evil) was meant to be Mindbender"

"Stealth Reveal Cobra Commander"
I think it's a fair bet you weren't alone in it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

What's the difference between Flash and Zap?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ooops.

So, the basic difference is one has a laser and one has a bazooka? Awesome.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Recent buys:

Dragonfly with 25th anniversary Breaker (or Sgt. Breaker if you happen to be a lawyer), and Ye Olde Wild Bill seeing as the 25th version won't fit in the damn cockpit. Still, Olde Bill half-inched his successor's fancy removable jerkin anyway.

Cover Girl. I'm low on tanks, so she's got a motorbike for now.

Forward Observer Post, missing some bits and modelled by 25th Anniversary Dusty (who ****ing rocks).

25th Anniversary Barbecue, now with the dexterity to really swing that fire-axe.

Beach Head trains the Rawhides in his usual calm fashion on a couple of bits of some outpost set.

25th Flint tackles the Cobra Missile Base.

CLAW!!!

Cobra firing range with 25th Crimson Guards. Make your own joke.

Image Image

Cobra Surveillance Port.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Holy crap, Barbecue cut off some guys head!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Some people were asking where Shockwave first appeared.
It actually wasn't in any Transformers comic. Shockwaves first UK comic appearance was in 1989 within the pages of The Incredible Hulk Presents which was a 12 issue run. The Action Force (later renamed GI Joe. The Action Force) strip was actually a reprint of the US GI Joe: Special Missions story.
Shortly after this. Shockwave appeared as a figure in the UK along with Spearhead and Max, Muskrat etc

The original Shockwave came in a blue SWAT uniform along with a silenced machine gun, backpack and knife.

I also seem to recall an awful retina burning green repaint version later on as well (Before the V2 Firefly figure).

There have been 46 different versions of Snake Eyes (not counting the various V1 international versions repainted as Cobra agents)
In Brazil, his head was recolored and used to create Cobra De Aço and the entire mold was used with a silver Cobra logo to create Cobra Invasor. The figure was also available without the Cobra logo as O Invasor. In Argentina, Snake Eyes was recolored in red and silver and released as Cobra Mortal and as a different version of Cobra Invasor.

I used to have a V1 (Stalker version), V2,V3 & V4 Snake Eyes. V4 being the worst painted in black,silver,red and bright blue and coming with bright orange weapons.
The V1 Snake Eyes (then known as Stalker in the UK) came with a 4x4 called the SAS Panther. The SAS Panther was a repaint of the GI Joe Vamp vehicle.

Original Marvel comics Snake Eyes background story:-

In the Marvel Comics' continuity Stalker, Storm Shadow, and Snake Eyes served together in the Vietnam War in a LRRP (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol) unit. Also serving on their LRRP team were Ramon Escobedo, Dickie Saperstein, and Wade Collins. While Snake Eyes served in combat, he always carried a picture of his twin sister with him in his hat for good luck. While on a mission, the LRRP team walked into a valley and stumbled into an encampment of North Vietnamese Army (NVA) soldiers. A firefight ensued, with Ramon, Dickie, and Wade all being killed (Wade Collins actually survives, and later joins Cobra, becoming Fred II of the Fred series Crimson Guardsmen). The rest of the team was able to make it out of the valley and to an LZ. As a helicopter arrived to pick up the surviving team members, the pursuing NVA opened fire, blinding Snake Eyes and severely damaging his vocal cords. Concerned for his friend, Storm Shadow went back for Snake Eyes. Running through heavy enemy fire, Storm Shadow was able to get Snake Eyes safely aboard the helicopter. Upon returning home from the war, Snake Eyes met with Colonel Hawk, who informed him that his family had been killed in a car accident (which coincidentally involved the brother of the man who would eventually become G.I. Joe's arch-foe, Cobra Commander). After some soul-searching, Snake Eyes went to study the ninja arts with Storm Shadow's family, the Arashikage Clan.
Snake Eyes’s ability to quickly learn skills especially impressed Storm Shadow’s uncle, the Hard Master. Over time, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow became sword brothers, and unintentional rivals for the attention and favor of the Hard Master, who liked pitting them against one another to test their considerable skills. Though Snake Eyes often attempted to throw matches in order that his friend should save face in front of his family, the Hard Master was aware of Snake Eyes' ruse, and knew him to be the true victor. During one of Snake Eyes training sessions the Hard Master expressed his desire for Snake Eyes to take over leadership of the Arashikage ninja clan instead of his nephew, Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes refused, and the Hard Master continued with the lesson. It was at this point that Zartan (hired by Cobra Commander) mistakenly killed the Hard Master instead of Snake Eyes. Zartan used an arrow he stole from Storm Shadow, implicating him in the murder of his uncle. Storm Shadow chased Zartan, who was able to escape in a helicopter piloted by Firefly. With Storm Shadow believed responsible for the death of the Hard Master, the Arashikage ninja clan dissolved and Snake Eyes returned to America, where he took up residence in the High Sierra Mountains.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Christ, the quality difference between the originals and the 25ths is staggering, isn't it?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Just a bit, yeh.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I'm glad to see that, for all the engineering enhancements they've made (moveable ****ing ankles!) Hasbro still haven't worked out that those black hoses are shit.

I remember now why so many of my old toys backpacks have traces of bluetac on them...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup, Barbecue's is already splitting, having been bent at 90 degrees at the backpack attachment... Winningly, their solution seems to have been to simply leave the thing off Mainframe altogether. Eh.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Actually, that's a plan. Off comes Barbecue's hose, away into the accessories bag with Roadblock's gun stand (he can barely hold the thing as it is) and ammo strip.

Now, figuring out how to get them onto the stands without looking like twats or falling over.

Barbecue, Mutt, Roadblock, Bazooka and Hawk, for the record.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Eh, I just don't use the stands TBH - you get more variation that way, and most of them have pretty good balance. Plus some of them have weird crap written on them... I get the trademark thing, but can they really not legally put the proper names on the stands?

But then I have most of them standing on an oil rig, so...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I think I may have to file them away, yeah. At least for the Joes. They give a bit of stability if you can get the positioning just right, but otherwise feh.

My Cobra troops will likely retain theirs to aid in the uniform rank and file formation I'm planning on. I'm building an army. An army I say!

Incidentally, if anybody in the US might happen to stumble across the Night Watch boxset in TRU... *whistles innocently*

[EDIT]
To make it relevant to the thread title...

Roadblock looks like he has learning difficulties.