"Oh God, not more GI Joe pictures!"

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:That's one of my favourite issues
Bwuh?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oh. That's a bit freaky if you haven't got that far.
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/frontline/frontline17.shtml
I'd say spoilers, but that's basically the plot.

No, shit, don't read the full summary, it spoils the best bit...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So my hylarious notion for a one-photo gag is essentially the entire plot of a Joe issue?

I'd be surprised, but the cartoon did give us that Viper joke episode, so anything's possible...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, pretty much. It is a good joke, to be fair.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well it's one of mine, so blatantly.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Finally got my HAL today. Here's a pic of all my G.I.Joes, taken with the crappy camera on my phone. Impressive, I know...Image
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I don't give a toss about the lack of harness, Dusty rocks. Yesyes.

Shame the BAT can't store three weapons in his backpack, though nice of them to put a hole in the underside for the spare hand. Shame he can't actually hold the big ****-off missile launcher, though.

Serpentor cool. I don't know about feet pegging into the Air Chariot when it arrives, I had a difficult enough time getting the bloody stand into the hole under his foot. Can't grip his scepter very well either.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with Montezuma's Skeleton. Kitbash it into a Lowlight? Airtight? Footloose? Some weapons for Grand Slam? Pass.

Anybody want a (presumably) R1 DVD release of the Arise Serpentor mini?

Oh yeah, nice pic Hound.

[EDIT] Correction! The BAT can hold the missile launcher! It's just he can only hold it in the "spare" hand, as opposed to the one the packaging style wants you to have it in. Some simple limb and attachment switching later et voila! Is done.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Dusty is awesome - I had a hell of a time getting his tunic skirt bit and backpack straps on (I'm guessing it was already on yours, seeing as you bought the set rather than the odd figure from a factory thief), but I can't envision any real reason to take them back off, so...

What I'm trying to work out is why his name is an anagram of some Hasbro designer, but IIRC they just used the designer's name in the cartoon...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

No backpack straps at all, as due to some Hasbro glitch only the later releases of the set actually included the harness. Or something. Basically, most of them don't. Yay. Helmet skirt thing was already attached, though.

Took some effort (by effort I mean my penknife) to get his helmet off as it was on too tight and at a stupid angle. Love that, whilst the goggles come off, they actually do sit comfortably on the helmet rather than falling off the moment you touch them (I'm looking at you, stupidhanded Viper).

Far as I can ascertain, the character's filecard was always Tadur... cartoon reversed it because, er, no idea really. Making a big deal of addressing a character by their filename only works when it is actually their filename. Bonkers (in a Dizzee Rascal stylee).

Have just caved and bought a Croc Master and some Lampreys (along with a Paraviper, just to see if he's not shit once you take all the silly accessories off him).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yay I have RARE DUSTY. Sorry, not his towel, the actual bottom of his tunic around his waist - it's technically removable, but as I say not sure why anyone would bother. Was initially slightly gutted the goggles can't be worn, but it's a fair trade-off for them fitting on his head. I also can't remember the guy ever slapping the things on regardless of what was going on.

Maybe the name in the cartoon is a cunning second-level codename? It's about the only reason I can think of for his real name being broadcast worldwide at the drop of a hat... Despite the massive cop-out I love "Traitor". Because it's full of Dusty. He's uber-cool on the few occasions he gets used in the Marvel comic, too.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I like to think of it as "a secret tip-off to the viewer that he hasn't really defected because he hasn't given Cobra his real name". Though I think the twist being obvious probably undermines that.

But then they did leave Steeler, Grunt and Clutch in the AU, so who knows.

Ah, the little beltskirt thing. Yeah, that was already attached.

Where do people stand on buying something from a seller on eBay, then getting a note through saying "sorry, it's out of stock"? Normally I'd be tempted to NF, but they didn't take my money. But then it was listed and said more than 10 available. But I've bought other stuff from them that I have paid for and hasn't been shipped yet...

I've emailed asking if it's coming back, but no response as yet.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Urgh, it'd piss me off quite a bit, I will say that - you list it, you should have it baring the occasional "shit, it's been in a box for a month and now I've got it out to send it turns out a bit's crumbled" freak accident. TBH, ebay's ludicrously buyer-biased system means you should be able to make the guy squirm a bit... The only thing to think about would be "Are you going to want something else off him in the future?"...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Maybe. I'm going to at least wait until I've received the stuff that I have paid for. My endgame really depends on what he says in response to the "well are you getting more?" question.

Not naming names, but it was the batch of five Paratroopers from a faraway land. He has pulled the listing though, so at least he's not still roping people in. It's possible he just genuinely overestimated how many sets he'd got. Or did a private sale and I nipped in before he had the chance to delist it. Still not on, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ahhh, I know the one - it's where I got my Paras from, couldn't work out why the thing had switched to Ended in my Watch List. If it's any help with the stuff you've paid for, I've had two batches of figures off him with few problems.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Oh, I don't envisage there being any problems with the ones I've ordered (five Eels and five Air Troopers)... if he was a crook he'd have taken the money and not said anything. I'm just wary of getting into an argument with him before the ones I have paid for get sent.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ooh, 20something figures collected today. Yarrr.

Fun facts!

The Crimson Guards have the most useless holsters ever.

The Vipers are officially ****ing awful. Not only are their hands rubbish but the goggles fall off their head if you so much as look at the buggers. Shame. They look cool, but they're completely useless on a practical level. The v19 Air Trooper version is marginally better, but not quite there.

The actual Air Viper, however, is ****ing awesome.

Doc is cool.

Gung-Ho has a rather loose right leg and Roadblock's display stand. Wacky. Ne'er mind.

Lookee picture!

Ignore the big space in the middle - there is more stuff on the way to fill that up. Oh yes.

[EDIT]
Just to give an idea of scale...