Still no Thundercats movie, but new tv series...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Still no Thundercats movie, but new tv series...

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sam Register? Got to be a hoax.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

This might be old news, but it's a nicely tenuous link.

Cry little sister: Thundercats writer murdered.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sades

Post by Sades »

As always, my first thought is "I hope this doesn't suck".

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/may/27 ... ictim-hom/

Leo?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hmmm, he looks a bit like an orange Panthro.

... with glasses.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Anyone else following the show? Very impressed... as the art suggests it tends to be somewhat anime in flavour, but not to its detriment.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Denyer wrote:Anyone else following the show? Very impressed... as the art suggests it tends to be somewhat anime in flavour, but not to its detriment.
It's really been great. I'm not really a fan of most anime design aesthetics, but they've found a nice compromise where the designs look "Japanese" but the animation direction, storyboarding and budget distribution is extremely "Western".

The pacing is a little... strange. There'll be two standalone episodes that are great with world building and character introductions, then one episode that races at superspeed to get the overarching plot forward in 22 minutes, then another "breather" episode. A bit of a rollercoaster in the narrative.

Still, I'll take this approach over a completely standalone done-in-one series that has no direction or a soap opera serial where things progress so slowly you don't even notice when something important happens.

And I've really been digging all the updates of the Thundercats mythos (cheesy 80s cartoon though it was, Thundercats was one of the most consistent with its back story and in-universe elements). Mumm-Ra being a techno space conquerer I'm not completely sold on yet, but I'm getting there.

Great show. And very expensive-looking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I guess it could be a bit jarring for kids, but I quite like the fact you don't know what a new episode is going to bring to the table.

Tried rewatching a few episodes of the old series a while back, and had to give up... great intro, great theme, but bloody hell the plots were thin. On the other hand, the UK comics (especially the annuals) managed to flesh out not just backstory but the characters.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:great intro, great theme
Not seen the new stuff yet, but the original's got to be the best title-sequence/theme tune combo of anything, ever. Thunderbirds 2086 is close, TF: Prime, the dub of Zeta Gundam and The Prisoner are there or thereabouts, but Thundercats' opening just gets me psyched every time.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Blimey, for a second there I thought Halfshell had returned from his secret mission in deep space.

The trailers I've seen for the new Thundercats look fine, but not so crotch throbbing I've felt the urge to track it down. With the original I always thought the ideas were better than the execution. Apparently the UK DVD's have what became the Thundercats Ho! "Movie" multiparter in a weird order as well, broken up by other episodes.

But yeah, it's the theme tune that made it. Lets face it, as kids the whole show could have been that on a loop for 22 minutes and we'd have been happy.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I saw the toys at a Wal Mart last week sometime. I kinda like them, and once I can I'm gonna check out some new Thundercats. It can't be any worse than the original at least.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm really enjoying the new Thundercats cartoon. Its basically a very smart remix of the old cartoon. The animation is excellent, the writing is solid and impressive and the acting is great. The only thing that lets it down?

Rubbish theme tune and a really weedy 'Thundercats-Ho!' - much the same as the 2002 He-Man cartoon in that respect, with the modern 'I have the power!' failing to pack the same punch as the original.