The Complete Big Dave

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

The Complete Big Dave

Post by Cliffjumper »

Code: Select all

http://rs573.rapidshare.com/files/364608191/The_Complete_Big_Dave_2000_A.D.cbr
Manchester's hardest man takes on Saddam, has a threesome with Di and Fergie, wins the World Cup from the Nazis and retakes Tenerife from the cowardly Spanish.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ohhhhhhh lovely, I'm going to have to find the time for this, according to the Thrill Power book most people at 2000 AD are more than a bit embarrassed by this (and a lot of their early-late 90's attention seeking stuff like B.L.A.I.R. 1, effectively Dave only lasted as long as he did thanks to the press inches he got) and the creative team were annoyed that basically no one got it was a piss take rather than a serious statement of intent.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, if anyone did fail to get that it was satire, they'd be pretty thick - the thing's so broad it's amazing it fits on the page.

The following seriously gives away major "WHAT THE ****?" moments...
SPOILER! (select to read)
I mean, Nelson Mandela resurrects a strangely-vague England legend with his voodoo magic. Big Dave glasses Terry Waite for letting him down. Princess Di sucks off a taxi driver. Saddam Hussein uses a gay ray on allied troops. The Spanish mention how cowardly they are every time they speak.
How on Earth did anyone take that seriously?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote: How on Earth did anyone take that seriously?
no idea, but they were probably the same people who sat down to watch that Brass Eye special a few years later and got all upset by it.

[With Brass Eye I could never decide if the "Fooled" celebrities were back peddling cowards or genuinely dense, "Why yes, I really thought someone had invented anti-paedophile gloves and am shocked and dismayed at being used like this by this filth"].
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Just idiots. Morris would have shipped them if they'd been back-pedalling. There are various claims that various celebs were in on it, but it just tends to be whoever liked them claiming it - e.g. people who think Tommy Vance was a legend say he knew it was a setup.

I do think that the celeb sections were probably a more tightly scripted than it originally seems, and it's worth noting that Morris isn't seen by most of them. They're just reading off an autocue without much of it going through their brains (though Phil Collins can barely keep a straight face - I think more because he thinks it's stupid rather than because he's twigged).

Chances are most played the PR percentages - yes, this sounds stupid, but I won't tell these people who've turned up and asked for my help against this new drug in case they go around telling everyone I'm a twat who doesn't care about this sort of thing. Still doesn't excuse them getting caught, though.

FWIW, I've always considered the celebrity bits to have very limited rewatch - the show's at its' best when it's sending up current events programmes a la the Day Today (the best bit is the prison report by Libby Schusht - "Why haven't you polished the moustache?", "Don't actually do it, where's your self-recockingspect?").