General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I'm still waiting on official Sharpe Lego.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Surely kids would just end up cutting themselves on it?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Warning may contain sharp objects and Yorkshire accent not suitable for small children.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Not sure exactly why, but I can't stand customised Lego parts, or physical modification of parts (like that old page with figs done as superheroes and they've got bits cut off and glued on and painted - what the Hell is the point in that?). I'm all for heavy duty customisation of anything, even some uber-rare Gokin or whatever. But it just rubs me the wrong way with Lego - it's Cheating, I suppose, and it kinda misses the point IMO.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Lego bling.

I don't quite see the point myself- I think it's cool, but a part of me is going "so what happens if he loses the parts?"

Obviously he's going to make an effort not to, but... well, they be tiny, yo.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I was never into custom parts either, though I have a shield painted red because it was all scratched to hell. I usually always go with whatever true parts I have and make it look as close as possible to the character I'm goin for. I think I've done quite well making representations of characters from some Weis & Hickman Dragonlance novels.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think the problem for me is where do you stop, y'know? Why bother putting time and thought into a good model that properly works - get more or less there, then cut bits off, repaint them and glue some others on. Good work, ****o, have a bun. Lego's basic restrictions are good because you have to use imagination to get the stuff to work for you.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Fluff me!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Er, on topic ( a little bit!) . I have a few of these blind packed mini-figures. I like 'em, although I've given up buying them now, after my fourth Caveman in a row! I've got the forestman, ninja, zombie, skater boi, caveman, cowboy & magician.

I also have duplicates (1 of each) of the skater boi, caveman, ninja & magician if anyone wants to trade. i do actually want the cheerleader, if someone has her and doesn't want her!

The barcodes are all the same on mine, which I bought from WHSmith (where they are £1.99). There's a second series due in September featuring a mexican with sombrero and maracas! i quite like that Lego have thought to get in on the collecting craze, but at £2 (£3 in some places), you're not actually far off buying a small City set or something.

In other news, I've rather liked Lego's recent sets. I bought a load of City stuff last year and the level of detailing and complexity is impressive. I really like the farm stuff (they have pigs and cows!). Since about 2005, they seem to have been getting back to what made the range great in the first place, which means less of the 1990s/early 2000s 'three bricks builds the kit' nonsense.

I had a look over the Kingdoms stuff, and it looks alright, but a little bit 'Knights Kingdom'. I'll be sticking with my '80s Castle stuff!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:Surely kids would just end up cutting themselves on it?
Ha! I still have a Lego inflicted scar on my right thumb! I got it one Christmas Day in the late 80's / early 90's when building the big white & yellow soldier's fort from the Pirate line.

Is it too late to sue do you think?
Wreck and Rule!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Come to think of it I've only ever seen them in WHSmith and not TRU or The Entertainer. It did feel odd standing in the shop feeling a bunch of plastic bags for a cowboy though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

electro girl wrote:Come to think of it I've only ever seen them in WHSmith and not TRU or The Entertainer. It did feel odd standing in the shop feeling a bunch of plastic bags for a cowboy though.
:lol: I caught myself on doing just that! Worse, I couldn't tell what was in them anyway, so I just ended up looking weird. And it was hot. So I was sweaty whilst feeling bags of lego.

um...none of that is sounding good in any way... :(
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Has anyone been getting the new series 2? I'm loving some of these minifigs. We were able to find the Vampire, Witch, Pharoah, Safari guy, The Spartan, the Mexican, and the Mime. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh - there aren't many places round here that do them, sadly, but we've got the karate champ (trophy = win), the rock star, the safari dude and about six withces (that's getting a bit annoying, truth be told).
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Yeah I feel a lot of witches and cops. Those seem to be the most common around here. You can always tell a witch though by feeling the package for a few seconds, honestly. The pointed hat is a dead give away. The vampire is the one that has been a headache to find, we had to go through two brand new boxes that were just placed on the shelves, to find only one! I had a copy of the UPC code for that one, because I knew how hard it was supposed to be to find. The rest I was able to find by touch alone, luckily at Target they are in the back of the store and there isn't a ton of people staring at my family as we blunder through all the minifig packages feeling them like weirdos. :lol:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Biggest problem here is most places seem to have them behind the counter - £3 and pocketable is a shoplifter's dream - so no touchy touchy :(
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Yeah, that sucks. They are at the check out counter at TRU here, but Target has them in the very back of the store with the seasonal Halloween stuff, they obviously think they would make great trick or treat basket gifts, which they would. I was a little shocked to find them back there myself.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

They have wave 3 of these guys out, so we made a family trip to the Lego store (seriously, a Lego outlet store = pure awesome). So I felt around in the little packages for an elf (Lord of the Rings style, not the Santa Claus style). That little dude is awesome!