General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Good bunch of figures there. I wonder if they'll remain at the £2.50 RRP..?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I like that set! Half of them would be a nice fit with my Castle stuff, and even the ones that aren't are pretty cool and unique.

I've actually really missed these, since I'm not a fan of the Simpsons ones at all and the Movie ones didn't have much to interest me. Hopefully they get out here in time for Christmas!
Sades

Post by Sades »

We went to the LEGO store, then stayed up until 3 AM building the Dragon Mountain set!

1. His actual facial hair wasn't "Wizardy" enough, I guess. They had to add a beard...?

2. Her crown is a bit lame, but I love her hair. *girly squeal*. It's definitely an improvement over the hair girls in LEGO sets from the 90's had.

3. I love the little details! Mousey has a hole in the wall to hide in.

4. It's like they KNOW me!

5. Dragon Mountain, complete! My only complaint is that I think it's too small. WHERE'S MY BAD GUY CASTLE SET, LEGO?!?
Attachments
IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg
IMG_2615.jpg
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I had more pictures because we're dorks. Here!

1. Our Castle sets together.

2. I like turtles horsies.

3. Gratuitous shot of my minifig collection.
Attachments
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2636.jpg
IMG_2635.jpg
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Sades wrote:5. Dragon Mountain, complete! My only complaint is that I think it's too small. WHERE'S MY BAD GUY CASTLE SET, LEGO?!?
I don't think they've made a decent "bad guy" castle since the Trolls' Mountain Fortress five years ago. Which is a huge shame IMO, because even though the "good guy" castles are cool, they're all kinda samey. Once you've got one or two, there's very little motivation to get others, at least for me. The bad guy sets have a lot more variety in design and colour, but the line is so small now that they rarely get any interesting sets. :(
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I bought a second Dragon Castle set off of ebay (cheap as chips without the minifigures) and mashed the whole lot up into a triple tower of dooooooooo......m.

For the whole 2013 line, I've bought multiples of some sets and just bulked it out with my own wibbly imaginings

OOh Sades and Hound you totally have to check out the Castle section of Lego's website as there's some super-fun little animated shorts that build up into a cute little story.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/1320/TgF9yJ.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img909/3618/cB0Gtf.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img912/7999/d5prDu.jpg

Anniversary gift from the Mrs.

Love that they went with something different costume-wise for Magneto, even more that it's Erik the Swinger.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Daily Mail is doing another Lego giveaway which may affect House Prices:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/prmts/a ... -toys.html
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up Space Miner, Spooky Girl and Hun Warrior whilst in Colorado.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Picked up Space Miner, Spooky Girl and Hun Warrior whilst in Colorado.
Hey! I live there!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

It was really nice. All things being equal, I'd love to move there.

Love that the Space Miner is basically LEGO Bruce Willis.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Bunch of mini-figures from Series 12:

Glam Rock guy, Pizza Guy, Pig Suit Fella, stun dart crossbow lady, sexy winking genie lady, wizard (with awesome spangly cape), drill miner guy, the atilla the hun type fella, gamer and the jester.

So I am now in that awkward place of nearly having the full set, and will likely end up with duplicates of all the above until I go mad and get fed up and cave into to paying silly ebay prices to complete the set. Hooray!

Also picked up Lego City 60032 which is the entry level set from the new arctic theme.

Its a really cool snowmobile thingy towing some grey mineral encased in ice. Its a great little set, and much better than the usual City Police / Fire themed guff you get at the £5 price point. Highly recommended :)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Skyquake87 wrote:Bunch of mini-figures from Series 12:

Glam Rock guy, Pizza Guy, Pig Suit Fella, stun dart crossbow lady, sexy winking genie lady, wizard (with awesome spangly cape), drill miner guy, the atilla the hun type fella, gamer and the jester.

So I am now in that awkward place of nearly having the full set, and will likely end up with duplicates of all the above until I go mad and get fed up and cave into to paying silly ebay prices to complete the set. Hooray!

Also picked up Lego City 60032 which is the entry level set from the new arctic theme.

Its a really cool snowmobile thingy towing some grey mineral encased in ice. Its a great little set, and much better than the usual City Police / Fire themed guff you get at the £5 price point. Highly recommended :)
Just cheat and use the bump codes if you, like me, don't have a moral compass when it comes to those things. Defeats the purpose of blind bags though. But it saves a TON of money.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ah, I'm rubbish with those. Plus, I don't think there's a sadder sight in this world than a bloke hunched over a dump bin fingering toys. I see these guys older than me doing this, and when you're in a toy shop and see this it just looks creepy as f**k.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Wish they'd stuck with the barcode as an indicator. Those were a piece of piss to read.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That implies they want you to easily be able to tell what you're buying. I don't think they do.
Skyquake87 wrote:Ah, I'm rubbish with those. Plus, I don't think there's a sadder sight in this world than a bloke hunched over a dump bin fingering toys. I see these guys older than me doing this, and when you're in a toy shop and see this it just looks creepy as f**k.
I saw a couple doing that at Walmart last weekend. I grabbed a handful from the bins they were digging through without even giving the bags a cursory glance. Sadly, they reacted like nice, normal people, making a friendly joke instead of erupting with hilarious nerd-rage. I was disappointed. :(

Wound up getting genie girl, the dinosaur hunter and pig suit guy. Still a ton more I'd like to get. Actually, wouldn't mind getting duplicates of the hun, wizard, princess, swashbuckler, prospector, Valkyrie or goth. I should grab a handful the next time I'm out shopping...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Skyquake87 wrote:Ah, I'm rubbish with those. Plus, I don't think there's a sadder sight in this world than a bloke hunched over a dump bin fingering toys. I see these guys older than me doing this, and when you're in a toy shop and see this it just looks creepy as f**k.
I didn't say it wasn't creepy, it just might save you some grief in the long run. :)
Denyer wrote:Wish they'd stuck with the barcode as an indicator. Those were a piece of piss to read.
I've been getting the Halo Mega Bloks Micro Figs lately, which are stamped with an alpha-numeric code. Easy as hell.
Warcry wrote:That implies they want you to easily be able to tell what you're buying. I don't think they do.
Agreed. I suppose they're still getting $ either way, but having to buy a bunch just to get the whole set is definitely in their favor.
Warcry wrote:I saw a couple doing that at Walmart last weekend. I grabbed a handful from the bins they were digging through without even giving the bags a cursory glance. Sadly, they reacted like nice, normal people, making a friendly joke instead of erupting with hilarious nerd-rage. I was disappointed. :(

Wound up getting genie girl, the dinosaur hunter and pig suit guy. Still a ton more I'd like to get. Actually, wouldn't mind getting duplicates of the hun, wizard, princess, swashbuckler, prospector, Valkyrie or goth. I should grab a handful the next time I'm out shopping...
I was at Target last night doing just what that couple was doing - looking closely at the bump codes. One of the workers walked by and asked if I had 'found everything OK'. I'm sure he knew what I was doing since I was also using my iPhone for reference. Ended up not getting anything anyways since my birthday is coming in 2 weeks and my wife might lynch me if I bought something at this moment. The Space Miner, Pig Suit Guy, and Wizard all look very interesting to me. However, I might just go blind at it soon since there aren't any figs that really turn me off in this round. Except maybe the buccaneer - I already have 3 of the Musketeers from a ways back, I don't need another, slightly different one.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:That implies they want you to easily be able to tell what you're buying. I don't think they do.
Can't have an indicator for retailers without the rest of the world knowing about it too.

I don't think scalping's such a big deal now, the collectible minifigs are just business as usual for LEGO.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:Agreed. I suppose they're still getting $ either way, but having to buy a bunch just to get the whole set is definitely in their favor.
I suppose it really depends on what you're looking for. They get more money out of buyers looking for the complete set, perhaps, but you'd have to think they're killing the army-builder market. How many people would buy five or ten space marines/Huns/conquistadors if they knew up front what they were getting?

Though the bump codes and the secondary market probably alleviate both scenarios to some extent, at least for more hardcore fans of the line.
ganon578 wrote:However, I might just go blind at it soon since there aren't any figs that really turn me off in this round.
Yeah, same here. Aside from maybe the pizza guy, I can't say that anything in this wave isn't cool.
Denyer wrote:Can't have an indicator for retailers without the rest of the world knowing about it too.
To a certain extent, sure. But what percent of buyers do you suppose know or even care about the codes? I see lots of kids and adults buying the things on a whim, grabbing them from a box near the checkout, etc. And I frequently buy them as Christmas/birthday gifts for my younger relatives without even thinking of checking what's in them. It's possible to figure out what's what, but they go to a lot of effort to keep the casual buyer from doing so (and even the more informed buyer, really, since they got rid of the unique barcodes).

I think it's a bit silly, personally. I mean if all else fails, you can usually tell what's in the package just by feeling the pieces inside. And they can't exactly stop that, unless they insist stores keep them behind the counter like cigarettes...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I don't really mind the blind bagging. Its hard to begrudge something that's aimed at kids and is - I would imagine - something to be traded in the playground like stickers or whatnot.

I haven't really the patience (or time, tbh) for faffing about with bump codes or bar codes. I can always sell the duplicates on if need be. Or give them away (I think my girlfriend is genuinely impressed with the duplicate glam rock guy I gave her), if I'm feeling that way out.

I do think Lego are missing a trick by not selling the licensed mini-figures as a separate figures - people go nuts for all those Marvel/ DC/ Star Wars things and they could probably get away with selling them on a clear blister for £5.