League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier discussion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:As a curiosity, is there any word on which of the myriad copyright violations caused it yet? Was it Jimmy for being just like the one in the books?

If Jimmy=Bond then probably not, Gildrose/EON (depending on if it's more of a book or a film rip off) tend to be fairly hot on this sort of thing and own the rights internationally so if it's OK to prink in the US it probably wouldn't be that much of a deal worldwide, either they did a deal (possible as Moore seems happy to not only call the character Bond directly in interviews but claim it's very much the Fleming version) or it's just vague enough to slip by.

I haven't read the Black Dossier (or indeed the second trade) yet, but I found this thread at a bond forum I occasionally browse interesting:
http://debrief.commanderbond.net/index. ... 53467&st=0

No idea if the complaints of the dissatisfied are valid or if it's just fanboy whining though, I suspect it's a case of Moore being extremely hard on the character but at the same time doing it great.

Oddly enough Moore's views on Doctor Who (that basically everyone after Hartnell was a borderline paedophile and the show was pretty much always shit) tend to be treated gleefully by fans.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, Bond is slightly more of a vicious bastard than in the books, but not by much. I suspect the problem from the fans is more due to the fact that he's actually a bit rubbish.

Actually, if there is a character throwing a spanner in the works, a tenner says it's someone minor who's only in it peripherally.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Actually, if there is a character throwing a spanner in the works, a tenner says it's someone minor who's only in it peripherally.
Which is the sort of thing I can believe Moore doing deliberately just to create something to have a fight about.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wonder if it was the Fast Show reference? Only just noticed that :o
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Having read that James Bond thread, I find it wonderful that there are fanboys who think Alan Moore deliberately made Jimmy to piss them off. That's marvellously conceited, the idea that the entire work was dreamt up in order to put the boot in on a few whining little bitches. This one chap, though, is a walking continent of common sense - the character has the potential in the given circumstances to be a complete cock. I wonder if somewhere there's a board where Robertsons fans are bitching about the thing as well.

Dalek or anyone else, if you're having trouble getting to read the thing, PM me. The "anyone else" bit only applies to people I don't think are pricks, btw.
Terome

Post by Terome »

As a curiosity, is there any word on which of the myriad copyright violations caused it yet? Was it Jimmy for being just like the one in the books? I'm hoping the same thing doesn't clobber Century..
DC, by all accounts, has a legal department that honestly doesn't have anything better to do than to be ultra-cautious about every scrap of material that passes through the gate. Some of the stuff that isn't allowed in Fables is pretty mystifying, considering the kind of thing that South Park gets away with. Some drunk fellow at a comics convention once told me that DC now practice an editorial policy that instantly dismisses any pitch that includes historical figures or pastiche pieces, probably as a response to 'League.' The pitch for something like 'Planetary' would not even be looked at today. The mind boggles at how they manage to shoot themselves in the creative foot at almost every turn.

On the James Bond note, it feels weird to dip into other people's fandoms. You could change a few nouns around and those people on the Bond forum could easily be discussing All Hail Megatron.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Part 2 of Century seems to have slipped to an end of 2010 or 2011 release. Bollocks.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Perhaps the title refers to the publication schedule?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Ran into the chap who runs Knockabout Comics at the London Book Fair ... he said something about next January and then sighed.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Still, on the plus side, at least the end of Planetary has been collected. Cheap, too, online from Forbidden Planet.