What other toylines do you collect?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

What other toylines do you collect?

Gobots/Machine Robo etc.
9%
G. I. Joe/Action Force
12%
M. O. T. U.
4%
Marvel or DC figs
9%
Lego
23%
Thundercats
2%
Ghostbusters
1%
Star Wars
13%
Convertors
2%
Other
27%

Total votes: 128

Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I used to collect Master Grade gundam models and the 1/100 Seed Destiny line, but dropped it.

At the moment I'm trying to round up a Macross collection from Yamato. Only thing is, those 1/60 jets cost around 200 dollars each when factoring in shipping.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

I found some old pics of stuff I had in the last two or so years propped up on my desk. Enjoy:

Green Lanterns:

Heroclix:

Bubblegum Machine F4 Figures:

Black Manta:

Aliens and Predators:

Various Star Wars stuff:

More ML stuff:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
slartibartfast

Re : What other toylines do you collect?

Post by slartibartfast »

holy cow 'zeeks ! nice house !
Originally posted by Clay
I also have most of my Legos from when I was a child.
Yeh, I am the current guardian of the family heirloom. I add to it from time to time, but most of my contribution has consisted of rescuing stuff from friends' bins.

*pride*

As far as collections go, I like to go laterally, going for a pick'n'mix style... It's a principle that works better when applied to books though. For example, my collection of #1s is steadily growing, but that's off-topic.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Generally, my parents have a "well, it's yours, do what you want with it" attitude to my childhood stuff, with one exception - the Lego is never, ever to be sold. And I tell you what, it never will be. If I ever get drunk enough to have kids, they're going to be brought up on the stuff. No toy in the world with that much to teach.
takara_destron
Protoform

Post by takara_destron »

I used to collect Doctor Who figures (I have most of the Dapol ones) but now I'm strictly a Dalek collector.
Have a few bandai Godzilla figures too, but not really enough to call it a "collection" at the moment...

Recent Aquistions: Movie Voyager Autobot Ratchet, BW Transmetal II Megatron
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
the Lego is never, ever to be sold.
The unspoken heresy !

I'm dead proud of my task of "keeper of the lego". Y'know, "eldest son gets to be king, youngest son gets the lego". I'm sure it's written in stone somewhere.

Yeh, the lego is teh sacred.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Generally, my parents have a "well, it's yours, do what you want with it" attitude to my childhood stuff, with one exception - the Lego is never, ever to be sold. And I tell you what, it never will be. If I ever get drunk enough to have kids, they're going to be brought up on the stuff. No toy in the world with that much to teach.

You and me both, Kid.
I can't tell you how many times my Dad has warned me to never EVER sell my Star Wars stuff. By far, my collection of the vintage stuff eclipses all other collections, including Doom, TF's, and everything else. I have giant plastic crates in the attic that take up half the attic space, and I am to NEVER touch it. I've often wondered why he gets so defensive about the Star Wars....maybe because it was such an integral part of my childhood and perhaps the only bond I ever really had with him? Dunno.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

You know - I really admire you guys for holding onto your/other peoples' Lego. I failed, I'm afraid, but only due to under-handed tactics by the parents :rant: All I did was go to school like any other 12 y-o and return home to find my dad proudly presenting me with a £10 note. I was not very happy, but there was nothing I could do, except take the dosh.

I mourned my lost Lego. Heck, I still mourn it now... :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

@kremzeek... HOORAY ALIENS AND PREDATORS!

@ rest... i have a 65 lb box of lego bricks and various parts... me and my niece assemble large cities... and then my lego monstrocities wage war and level said city!

i agree: the lego must never be sold- the lego is sacred- believe upon it, for it is good...

ummm, ignore that last part... if you would...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

No toy in the world with that much to teach.
I feel much the same way about language/text/writing/code. The next step would be to actually learn how to use graphics packages to create from scratch, or draw in more than a perfunctory way...

Everybody should have something creative to go alongside consumerist pursuits.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, kids especially need to be taught early on the value of creativity, be it with pen, paintbox or Lego. Personally I find the general decline of Lego (what stuff is avaliable is often inflexible kit stuff based on what's on the telly/in the cinema) to be a worrying sign for kids everywhere, especially as it hasn't simply been shoved aside for another similar thing.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Speaking of Legos, Maju found a Doom figure, so I looked at some of the other stuff on this site:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=157248

pretty good stuff.

Cliffy, as a Lego Conoisseur, how was the Doom figure made (in your best opinion)? I'm assuming he did a custom color job on an existing figure from the Lego Line. Maybe Darth Maul? Dunno. I would love to attempt one of my own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Face, I think, is a custom...

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x115 - hood, probably repainted (not up to date on more recent stuff)
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/522 - cloak

Rest is fairly common-or-garden. Can't place the torso, but I doubt he'd customise a sticker with a random logo on there. There's plenty of stuff that'd make a passable Doom torso from various lines.

EDIT: Torso - http://peeron.com/inv/parts/973ph5

EDIT II: http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3626bpx340 or http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3626bpx307 might make a passable off-the-shelf head.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

OMG's, thanks Cliffy.

I actually went out to a few toy stores tonight to look in the Lego sections. KB was pitiful. Target the same. Then I went to TRU... Holy Crap! (/Peter Griffin)
So, I saw this one Star Wars set that had Obi Wan in it. I figured "Oh what the hell. I can will maybe blow 20 bucks on it, send the actual Legos to someone who would appreciate them, and just work on the figure itself."

Then I saw the price tag.

F**K ME HARD WITH A CHAINSAW!

$99.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet baby Jesus, I didn't realize they were so expensive. Of course, this was a rather big set.....I think it was like the republic gunship or something.

Anyways, I will shop around, maybe hit a few flea markets and see what I can't drum up.

Anywho, I just wanted to say thanks again for all the info, Cliffy. At least now I know what I can look for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Sorry for the confusion there, Zeeks.

Anyway, anyone know of a good way to make a human to hang with my TFs? I'm thinking of making me...
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not like this.

http://transfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Echowarrior
http://www.worlds-worst.com/worldsworst ... ry/ech.jpg

It depends which TFs. G.I. Joe stuff is in scale with larger items, just about.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Look at me ! I have five heads !!1!
Personally I find the general decline of Lego (what stuff is avaliable is often inflexible kit stuff based on what's on the telly/in the cinema) to be a worrying sign for kids everywhere
Originally posted by Kremzeek75
F**K ME HARD WITH A CHAINSAW!

$99.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet baby Jesus, I didn't realize they were so expensive.
Erm, this reminds me of a vague point I was thinking of making. I [sort of] followed the lego®/megablok battle [news link] and I seem to remember thinking that this was going to be the end of lego®, and the market was going to be flooded with dirt-cheap buckets of bricks made by companies like "ogel" or "elgo". I think that the people at lego® were thinking the same thing. So they panicked and aimed high, going for the prestige of licences, older age groups, and really wierd bricks-that-won't-look-anything-like-the-ordinary-ones-that-all-those
-parasite-companies-will-be-importing, which put their costs up. It's OFFICIAL LEGO® people ! Star Wars lego® is the REAL deal !

I really liked the idea of lego® shops, the ones where you could buy bricks by the gram. Just buckets and buckets of loose lego® and a scoop. heaven. I can't find them on the internet, but I'm pretty sure I didn't dream about it... I seriously thought about opening one a while back. I still think about it from time to time.
Originally posted by Clogs
You know - I really admire you guys for holding onto your/other peoples' Lego.
:)
I mourned my lost Lego. Heck, I still mourn it now... :(
:(
Originally posted by Maju Garzett
Anyway, anyone know of a good way to make a human to hang with my TFs? I'm thinking of making me...
http://www.globalchange.com/clonlink.htm ?

I remember johnny quest figures being slightly smaller scale than action force, if that's any help.
Originally posted by Denyer
Everybody should have something creative to go alongside consumerist pursuits.
oo, you pessimist.

I can't wait to get my new XO laptop :)

edit : edited to edit stuff.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
I really liked the idea of lego® shops, the ones where you could buy bricks by the gram. Just buckets and buckets of loose lego® and a scoop. heaven. I can't find them on the internet, but I'm pretty sure I didn't dream about it...
There used to be a shop in the Bullring in Birmingham. The last time I was in the shopping centre it was just pre-Christmas and terribly packed, but I couldn't find the outlet at all. I used to like wandering round the seriously over-priced stuff and then I'd buy a Bionicle or two at reasonable cost (the Beloved had banned me from the pic'n'mix so I had to compromise, yes?).

You can buy loose Lego; it's still advertised in the Lego magazine, but it's expensive. Scraplet1 is a member of the Lego Club and we both have on-line accounts, but we're rarely talking pocket money here anymore - unless other kids are getting more pocket money per month than ever before!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Is that Bull Ring shop not there at all? That's a shame. It would have been Mecca to Cliffy...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I'm in Brum for a PCS Seminar at Five Ways on 7th November - it finishes at 4pm so I'll probably go have a stroll round the Bullring before I catch the train home...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]