What was the first anime you ever saw?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Sailor Moon was my first taste of Anime
Heh heh...I bet it was... ;)

R.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

It depends on how you define Anime. Speaking of which, how do you define Anime?
Denyer

Well...

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Unicron
It depends on how you define Anime. Speaking of which, how do you define Anime?
My definition would be anything that's drawn and filled with block colour, as opposed to CGI... whether motion or still...

Some people would probably disagree with that and say it was predominantly a Japanese term, though.

I think only "Manga" and "Hentai" are registered trademarks, though.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Don't dis Sailor Moon! Sure the dub version is complete crap and mutilated beyond recovery but the Sub version is where it's at. When you think about, Transformers was the first "Anime" I saw. Now I know Transformers is an American show, but, the drawings and animaton were done by Japanese people so I consider that Anime, and it looks like Anime, so TF was my first.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Err I saw sailor moon years ago and remember loving it:o

Its fu nny any girl I know into any sort of anmie (as in japanese originated cartoons Denyer:p ) allways loves sailor moon most.
Bombshell

[comic book guy]Most Idiotic Comment Ever[/Comic Book Guy]

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Redstreak

Heh heh...I bet it was... ;)

R.
*Smacks Redstreak*
Garand

Post by Garand »

Originally posted by Jetfire
Its fu nny any girl I know into any sort of anmie (as in japanese originated cartoons Denyer:p ) allways loves sailor moon most.
My lab partner in PC Daignostic and Repair prefers Tenchi.. I regret ever gettign her startied on the subject..

My first anime, discounting Transformers, was Voltron. I used to watch those animes they shows saturday morninga on Sci-Fi
Evil Magnus
Protoform

Post by Evil Magnus »

The first anime I remember watching would have to be during the early 80's watching the Force Five series; Space-Keteers, Danguard Ace and 3 others that escape my mind.
Then I got my first real exposure to anime many many years later (early 90's) with Dominion Tank Police and Akira.
Djar][aCho
Protoform

Post by Djar][aCho »

anime beeing japanese cartoons?
dengard ace, Yamamoto, Robotech-
there were others but i think they were american versions of jap shows.
but yamamoto back in 79 :D
that was the good stuff :-)
although now i would have to say robotech would be my fav in retrospect .
did you know there is more mercury in the average ocean fish than in a rectal thermometer? would you eat a rectal thermometer?? well i would!! :-)
Dead Pool
Protoform

Post by Dead Pool »

I'm not the biggest anime fan, so the first one I saw was Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie. Can any anime fans tell me if this movie was good or not in your opinion? Because I found it to be pretty cool.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

First Anime

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

The first anime I saw was Bubblegum Crisis, shortly followed by maybe about the first half of Akira, both for a computer animation class about 5 or 6 years ago.
Hang on to your ego.
Evil Magnus
Protoform

Post by Evil Magnus »

Dead Pool
I can say clearly that SF2 animated was great in all aspects except for one tiny thing HUGE FEET.
I loved the concept of a Evil Ken, trying to destroy the Good Ryu! That was the true ultimate fight! Ken dominated Ryu! Altho Ryu was much stronger, Ken showed the dominance in that battle! Ryu only won because of Ken's help, Ken set up Bison as Ryu delivered the final blow! Ala la SF alpha!

Good call on a great anime! Only one thing missing. A story line! Too fast to short, to flashy.
Sades

Memories...

Post by Sades »

Ooh, first Anime, eh...

... Hmm, I'd have to say Astroboy. I've very clear memories of watching it on tape when I was but a little Sadie... back when it was just another cartoon... still one of my favorites. :)

I also remember watching Galaxy Express 999 a little later in life... I've still a preference for that particular style, true classic...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Halfshell

Pedants, we are under attack! Scramble!

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Some people would probably disagree with that and say it was predominantly a Japanese term, though.
We're back on "Definition vs Popular Usage" are we?

Oh good... I do so enjoy that argument :rolleyes:
LordSixshot
Protoform

Post by LordSixshot »

Originally posted by Dead Pool
I'm not the biggest anime fan, so the first one I saw was Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie. Can any anime fans tell me if this movie was good or not in your opinion? Because I found it to be pretty cool.
Okay, so I am not a huge anime fan or anything, but I love that film. Vega rules.

I think the first anime I ever saw was My Neighbour Totoro. Yay Cat Bus.
They did play him. Not much happened.
angloconvoy

Re: Well...

Post by angloconvoy »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer

My definition would be anything that's drawn and filled with block colour, as opposed to CGI... whether motion or still...

I think only "Manga" and "Hentai" are registered trademarks, though.
In Japan Manga just means comic apparently. Anime is just what the japanese call animation, but in the west has taken on the meaning of that specific type of art in the Japanese style.

And Deadpool, in my opinion street fighter 2 movie is a great anime, well drawn well animated. Can't really fault it.

Oh, and the first anime I ever saw was Akira when it first came out in england. Confused the hell out of me, but I absolutely loved it
Ultra Magnus
Protoform

Post by Ultra Magnus »

space battleship yamato and robotech/macross
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers.
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

If you count transformers, then that's it. If not, it was probably Voltron, or if it comes to extremes, then it's Dragon Ball Z (I love that cartoon. It's my third favorite right after Transformers, and Simpsons).
Redstreak
Protoform

Street Fighter 2

Post by Redstreak »

I personally enjoyed it also; much, much, better, I can't emphasize enough how much better it was than the live action version. It made use of the characters in a far more believable way, and it was animated to a T. I nicknamed the final fight between Ken and Ryu "The Wrath of Ken". Course when I played the game, that was also my term of choice when Ken went on a killing...er, winning spree.

R.