Sam's Club exclusive Universe Deluxe five-pack - OUT

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

TFVanguard wrote:But, still, by all means, be a complete prat over something this minor. It's really worth the Internet Hatred that Transformers fans are known for.
Considering you are a Transformer fan, aren't you yourself contributing to the hatred?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

secretcode wrote:Considering you are a Transformer fan, aren't you yourself contributing to the hatred?
I'm not contributing to the hatred by being a Transformers fan.. I've contributed to it by being an asshole. But at least I can admit that much. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TFVanguard wrote:I am once again amazed at the fairness and generally adult-manner in which some moderators handle themselves. It's no wonder that TFArchive enjoys the rich and expansive growth that it has.
But, still, by all means, be a complete prat over something this minor. It's really worth the Internet Hatred that Transformers fans are known for.
You said something, you got called on it. Get over it and stop trying to blame the world at large for everything. If it's so terrible here, there's an easy option open to you, after all.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Yes, I have to say I don't bother posting at places I consider to be full of knobs. Seems the simple solution.

Does the way the toys are laid out in the box look a bit odd to anyone else?
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Yeah. Prime looks like some weird Lugnut-former, being so short. Blurr and Runamuck are fine, but Longrack and Buzzsaw...WTF?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Yeah. Prime looks like some weird Lugnut-former, being so short. Blurr and Runamuck are fine, but Longrack and Buzzsaw...WTF?
Yeah, Prime looks kind of squatty in the photo. And I think it's funny (as someone stated earlier) that Blurr and Runamuck are having a slap fight.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

ganon578 wrote:Yeah, Prime looks kind of squatty in the photo. And I think it's funny (as someone stated earlier) that Blurr and Runamuck are having a slap fight.
Yeah, whoever designed the packaging for this set really didn't seem to care all too much about the presentation. It's busy, and they seemed to go out of their way to put the toys in the worst ways possible. This was probably a rush-deal, though, which makes me wonder if - other than prime - there really were a lot of the 'homage' figures left over from Cybertron.

And, as for the site... I don't consider TFArchive to be "full of knobs", it's just that there are a few, and they happen to be staff members. :P It's not that being wrong is a problem, and I was wrong about the tech-specs (I'm old, dammit), it's the pretty clear riding in order to push me to quit.

This, of course, since I am old and cranky, has the end result of making sure I stay just that little bit longer.. each time. :P
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TFVanguard wrote:it's the pretty clear riding in order to push me to quit.
Methinks you flatter youself. You made an inaccurate comment, this then got countered with sources, what with it being inaccurate and all. You then insulted the person who corrected you, it would seem largely because they corrected you.

Incidentally, someone being staff doesn't mean they can't correct you when you make an inaccurate comment, and claiming some sort of staff oppression just makes you look like a bit of a fool.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Methinks you flatter youself. You made an inaccurate comment, this then got countered with sources, what with it being inaccurate and all. You then insulted the person who corrected you, it would seem largely because they corrected you.

Incidentally, someone being staff doesn't mean they can't correct you when you make an inaccurate comment, and claiming some sort of staff oppression just makes you look like a bit of a fool.
Can we just keep this thread on topic? I asked for info, someone gave info, maybe wrong, maybe not, but it's all corrected now. Either way, this thread is about the pack, not about staff or others being right or not, and it doesn't have to turn into a pissing match.

On the packaging note, as quickly as this thing looks like it's slapped together, you also have to remember that someone gets paid to design this packaging, and most likely has a degree in packaging engineering. I need this job. That way I could continually pack things goofy and retain my career.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

ganon578 wrote:Can we just keep this thread on topic? I asked for info, someone gave info, maybe wrong, maybe not, but it's all corrected now. Either way, this thread is about the pack, not about staff or others being right or not, and it doesn't have to turn into a pissing match.
I'm addressing points that have been bought up. Things need to be kept straight, and people can't just be left to make up whatever they like and go uncorrected.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

ganon578 wrote:Can we just keep this thread on topic? I asked for info, someone gave info, maybe wrong, maybe not, but it's all corrected now. Either way, this thread is about the pack, not about staff or others being right or not, and it doesn't have to turn into a pissing match.
I admit, I blurred Lazerbeak's bio... It's been a bit. At any rate, both Longrack and Buzzsaw were meant to be "Beast Era" homages while Runamuck and Blurr were meant to be "Generation One" homages.
On the packaging note, as quickly as this thing looks like it's slapped together, you also have to remember that someone gets paid to design this packaging, and most likely has a degree in packaging engineering. I need this job. That way I could continually pack things goofy and retain my career.
What's sad is that to get the job we're talking about here, you honestly do have to have a degree in graphics and design of some sort.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'm addressing points that have been bought up. Things need to be kept straight, and people can't just be left to make up whatever they like and go uncorrected.
That's fine, and it's done. NOW can we stay on topic?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup.

For my part... no interest in buying the set, TBH. Generally unattractive moulds in poor colour schemes - Supercon Prime is okay, but it isn't like his original deco was miles off anyway.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Cliffjumper wrote:For my part... no interest in buying the set, TBH. Generally unattractive moulds in poor colour schemes - Supercon Prime is okay, but it isn't like his original deco was miles off anyway.
Well, it's still an opportunity to get "Classics" Blurr, which is a decent-looking homage if not exactly the best toy out there. But, really, it's hard to imagine anyone wanting Armada Prime that doesn't already have at least ONE version. The other three figures.. eh... Rumamuck isn't the 'same' without his partner. Buzzsaw is effectively a non-entity.. and few people in the States or Canada would even know who Longrack even was.

Granted, I suppose if it had been a set of more 'in demand' characters and molds, everyone would be bitching about that too.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Yup.

For my part... no interest in buying the set, TBH. Generally unattractive moulds in poor colour schemes - Supercon Prime is okay, but it isn't like his original deco was miles off anyway.
As I keep looking at this set, my want for it declines. I actually think Blurr is the only one worthwhile. I originally wanted Runamuck in there too (I used to have his G1 version), but he looks quite clunky to me. And the more I look at Buzzsaw, the more his colors are borderline horrid. Is this set only going to be listed as "Universe"? Or will it also be listed under "Classics Series" as the other Universe releases have so far?
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

ganon578 wrote:As I keep looking at this set, my want for it declines. I actually think Blurr is the only one worthwhile. I originally wanted Runamuck in there too (I used to have his G1 version), but he looks quite clunky to me. And the more I look at Buzzsaw, the more his colors are borderline horrid. Is this set only going to be listed as "Universe"? Or will it also be listed under "Classics Series" as the other Universe releases have so far?
You know, I was looking for the "Series" tag myself, and didn't see it. It should be squarely pegged as "Cybertron Series", like the Big Lots Legends were... but, who knows anymore.

And, yes, the Side Swipe / Oil Slick / Treadbolt / Runamuck mold is god-awful. I never understood why we got so many different figures of that toy, to be honest. (Runamuck remolds the head, and swaps the minicon for a Cyberkey, but, still...)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah. It's an awful mold, but I feel an unusual optimism about it, since looks like an improvement over the original*. That and I do think the purple repaints were a vast improvement over Armada Sideways (aka the biggest dink in transformers). I do hope they eventually repaint the mold in white just to have an update of the Beavis and Butthead of transformers.

Blurr is an awesome mold, and I definitely tracked him down when they remolded him for Cybertron. Echo@his fitting into classics perfectly.

I really like the Hoist mold, and (while I don't know shart about the Japanese BW characters) the remolded head looks pretty good, plus they fixed the minicon gimmick that wasn't (the shovel arm had to be manually lock locked on the Armada figure every time you wanted to make the minicon useful. with the planet key they moved the locking mechanism so the key actually does something).

Buzzsaw is probably the coolest incarnation of the mold. Headsculpt is an improvement over Cyclonus and they managed to give him a front that hides the tank gimmick, but still allows it to be functional.

Supercon Prime has always been one of the better Prime molds. I've got the Armada release, Nemesis Prime and Ultra Magnus.

All in all, I'd say that if you don't have any of the molds it's worth getting.

*Having only pictures to compare him to my guess is that the G1 version is about as articulate as a Throttlebot (much love to them (I made a point to grab the 4 I didn't all ready have (got Chase as a kid and my brother gave me the blue one when he gave me his toys)), but they really have no articulation), and the Cybertron version moves his arms.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

TFVanguard wrote:You know, I was looking for the "Series" tag myself, and didn't see it. It should be squarely pegged as "Cybertron Series", like the Big Lots Legends were... but, who knows anymore.
You mean Prime, Soundwave, Hot Shot and Leo Prime?

Who came in 2007 Classics-esque packaging and were sold as "Cybertron Collection"?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Daltimus Prime

Post by Daltimus Prime »

It`s not like classics 1 didn't give us beast wars. Remember LOC Leo Prime? That was Lio Convoy in Classic form. So these could be the G1/BW versions of these characters. Also, the "Dawn of Future`s Past" BotCon toys included Cyber Keys done up like the golden disks. Same could probably be said for the Cyb OP/Crumplezone 2-pack. Call Cyb Prime G1 Prime, the find a random green generic from G1 (like one of the extra 2 constructions from "Five Faces of Darkness" or the green Shockwave`s) and call it Crumplezone (Kinda like what they did with Acid Storm).
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Nevermore wrote:You mean Prime, Soundwave, Hot Shot and Leo Prime?

Who came in 2007 Classics-esque packaging and were sold as "Cybertron Collection"?
Yep, those guys.