• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2016-03-09, 10:05 PM   #21
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
But what I can't imagine any of them actually going through with letting them get slaughtered by the DJD, because then they're not Autobots any more, they're Decepticons
That's assuming any of the crew actually knows about the DJD involvement. Tis possible Getaway made that call on his own

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-09, 10:10 PM   #22
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
That's assuming any of the crew actually knows about the DJD involvement. Tis possible Getaway made that call on his own
which is my own train of thinking: a counter-mutiny to the coup Getaway staged when everyone clocks on to just how big a Pandora's box he's opened. My very long term betting on this is that I'd say two from Getaway, Megatron and Rodimus don't survive until the story but in order for the MtMtE to have somewhere to go post this, Megatron and Rodimus have to survive

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-09, 10:59 PM   #23
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that Getaway and the rest genuinely believe the DJD will only take Megatron and leave everyone else. Either that, or Getaway is under the impression he's called in the Galactic Council but the DJD have intercepted the transmission.

It's early days yet, though. We haven't actually heard any of the other crew speak yet so I'm happy to wait and see on this point. I agree that Getaway's become a great villain. In contrast to the rest of the fandom, who are all like 'he's so creepy', it just makes me like him more!

Regarding the backup strip, the whole 'viewing the past as a ghost' thing is very similar to something that crops up as a throw-away idea in the comic series Transmetropolitan. It's probably just coincidence but it's rather nice.

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-09, 11:08 PM   #24
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
I've seen it suggested elsewhere that Getaway and the rest genuinely believe the DJD will only take Megatron and leave everyone else. Either that, or Getaway is under the impression he's called in the Galactic Council but the DJD have intercepted the transmission.

It's early days yet, though. We haven't actually heard any of the other crew speak yet so I'm happy to wait and see on this point. I agree that Getaway's become a great villain. In contrast to the rest of the fandom, who are all like 'he's so creepy', it just makes me like him more!

Regarding the backup strip, the whole 'viewing the past as a ghost' thing is very similar to something that crops up as a throw-away idea in the comic series Transmetropolitan. It's probably just coincidence but it's rather nice.
On the one hand, Getaway saw first hand what the DJD are capable of on the alternate Lost Light, but an intercepted transmission to the Galactic Council sounds almost like plausible deniability

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Old 2016-03-09, 11:25 PM   #25
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

There's always the other explanation that Getaway knows exactly what's happening but is just that much of a bastard.

Which only makes me like him more, to be honest.

But that would require some convincing lies for the rest for the crew - plausible, perhaps, for a known charmer.

SMITH
Old 2016-03-09, 11:30 PM   #26
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I keep coming back that I can't buy any of the crew, even Atomiser, willingly sending Megatron's fan club into the hands of the DJD. I just can't. And it wouldn't surprise me if Getaway did in fact keep that detail a secret OR massaged the truth a little bit when disclosing it

When's the next issue out?

Old 2016-03-10, 01:02 AM   #27
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

I want a Titan Wars Getaway!

SMITH
Old 2016-03-10, 01:58 AM   #28
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
I keep coming back that I can't buy any of the crew, even Atomiser, willingly sending Megatron's fan club into the hands of the DJD. I just can't. And it wouldn't surprise me if Getaway did in fact keep that detail a secret OR massaged the truth a little bit when disclosing it

When's the next issue out?
Yeah, this is the thing I'm having a problem with. Its possible the crew don't know whats coming but... they would want megs dead. That's a key point to this. They cant just maroon him.

Also, the crew go after the warped signal which (I think) is sent because the DJD attack the necrobot - which means Getaway is ok with that.

Just don't seem quite right. Need more info...

But that aside, as issues go, its bloody good stuff. The sense of dread with ravage searching was excellent and Getaway is just brilliant. The best villains are justified and bar his overall decision to involve the DJD (and he must be aware that they destroyed the alt lost light so cant be trusted) Getaway fully explains his anger. Who knew "bop" had it in him. Also, for all the criticism of how Roberts wrote Rodimus as a fool - the pay-off was worth it!

As for these bots standing against the DJD, don't forget they don't have to win in a straight fire-fight. That's rarely how these things go. They have a lot of the necrobots tools to help them. I know this is a cheesy example but they could set a huge detonation off and escape through the necrobots portals that he used to move about. Heroic stories always involve a small bunch of goodies taking on seemingly unbeatable odds.

Must agree with those worrying about a reset. Roberts does seem to be pushing that this is going to cause a major shake up in the MTMTE story and maybe dying of the light refers to the lost light no longer being a part of the story (for now) and the next few arcs will involve Team rodimus chasing the lost light. And maybe they will link up with the scavengers. There's lost of possibilitys and if he avoids the reset Roberts will have set him self up with a fresh scenario to plot for the next 50 issues.

Next issue is going to be a long wait.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 11:01 AM   #29
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Hang on a second: the nudge guns are New Institute tech, right? But the one Getaway had only had two charges. Who's been making copies of the charges? Presumably someone on board must have the scientific know how and oh god it's Brainstorm, isn't it?

Old 2016-03-10, 12:37 PM   #30
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Possibly perceptor. Brainstorm is on the rod pod (poor guy, he actually did try to kill megs)

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 02:37 PM   #31
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Possibly perceptor. Brainstorm is on the rod pod (poor guy, he actually did try to kill megs)
Or Chromedome...

Old 2016-03-10, 03:20 PM   #32
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

****ing Highbrow.

SMITH
Old 2016-03-10, 04:27 PM   #33
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
also, remember the Nudge Guns remove memories, so why couldn't Getaway have coerced someone to make more of them then simply use the gun on them to remove the memory of the coercion?

Old 2016-03-10, 06:42 PM   #34
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I still think the nudge guns are a terrible plot device. Someone needs to use one on Roberts to make him forget he invented them.

That aside...

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about the Getaway twist. I mean I really like the twist but I couldn't help but thnk that its a stretch that so much of the crew backs him - and what they effectively do to the Autobots who are trapped along with Megs is incredibly barbaric when you think about it. I'm amazed Hoist and Blaster go along with this. I think I might have bought it more if it had of been a character who was there from the start and had built bonds from the beginning. Certainly I could buy them wanting to sacrifice Megs but the idea that they would sell a fairly sizable party to the DJD is... hmm.
It does seem like a bit much, doesn't it? There hasn't been a word of dissent in two years from the crew, but apparently they're all super secretly pissed off that Megatron is there and are all (aside from the main characters) completely willing to go along with a mutiny? That seems like a leap. I mean, there's a wide spectrum of actions between "doing nothing" and "sending the entire command crew to die", particularly when the "to die" list includes popular crewmembers like Nautica, Skids, Rung, Velocity, etc... I mean, if 90% of the crew are on your side, surely there's a more productive, less dramatic way of resolving things? I mean they very nearly tossed out Rodimus from the captain's chair strictly by a vote. If you've got the support just do that again and have the new captain toss Megatron in the brig until he can be executed.

And like you say, there are way too many reasonable and/or decent Autobots left on the Lost Light for this to make any sense. Blaster, Hoist, Hound, Grapple, Huffer, Siren, bigshot diplomat Crosscut and many more. Which makes me assume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Or, is Getaway lying out his arse and the betrayal is the result of selective memory re-editing on his part? Will the memory triggering device on the Necrobots planet be used to put things right?

Let's hope not.
He probably is. And given some of the speculation we've had about his character in the past, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was doing Tyrest's bidding in the process. After all, he very much wants to find Cyberutopia himself and would be very motivated to stop the Lost Light's quest in its tracks by feeding the command crew to the DJD. And considering Tarn's got an army of revanchist Decepticons in tow now, I'd expect the Lost Light itself to be in the crosshairs pretty quickly as well. I wouldn't be surprised if, however this arc ends, they need to rescue the rest of the crew either from Deathsaurus's clutches or Tyrest's before they continue on with the quest.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me from this issue hasn't actually gotten much attention I don't think: Velocity's suggestion that Megatron's "reform" is entirely the fault of the Autobots feeding him mind-altering drugs. The fact that neither Ratchet nor First Aid nor Rung ever even mentioned the possibility of side-effects to him implies pretty heavily that either they're incompetent (and we know that at least the first two aren't) or that they're complicit in something pretty awful, presumably at Optimus's behest.

A pretty good issue overall, though not nearly as action-packed as the hype made it seem. It's just the start of something, rather than a big event in its own right like I'd been expecting. Which all in all is probably a good thing.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 06:49 PM   #35
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
He probably is. And given some of the speculation we've had about his character in the past, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was doing Tyrest's bidding in the process. After all, he very much wants to find Cyberutopia himself and would be very motivated to stop the Lost Light's quest in its tracks by feeding the command crew to the DJD. And considering Tarn's got an army of revanchist Decepticons in tow now, I'd expect the Lost Light itself to be in the crosshairs pretty quickly as well. I wouldn't be surprised if, however this arc ends, they need to rescue the rest of the crew either from Deathsaurus's clutches or Tyrest's before they continue on with the quest.
Now this I can buy, and the point about the entire crew being off about Megatron and keeping it quiet feels too much like a long con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The biggest thing that jumped out at me from this issue hasn't actually gotten much attention I don't think: Velocity's suggestion that Megatron's "reform" is entirely the fault of the Autobots feeding him mind-altering drugs. The fact that neither Ratchet nor First Aid nor Rung ever even mentioned the possibility of side-effects to him implies pretty heavily that either they're incompetent (and we know that at least the first two aren't) or that they're complicit in something pretty awful, presumably at Optimus's behest..
Megatron having a change of heart, picking up the Autobot sigil, his trial and desire to be redeemed all happened before he was given the captaincy of the Lost Light and as such was given a lifelong course of Fool's Energon to keep his strength in check. It could be argued, sort of, that his erratic behaviour after coming on board can be traced to the drugs, but not all that happened before (his actions in Dark Cyberton and issues 28-30

Old 2016-03-10, 06:58 PM   #36
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Megatron having a change of heart, picking up the Autobot sigil, his trial and desire to be redeemed all happened before he was given the captaincy of the Lost Light and as such was given a lifelong course of Fool's Energon to keep his strength in check. It could be argued, sort of, that his erratic behaviour after coming on board can be traced to the drugs, but not all that happened before (his actions in Dark Cyberton and issues 28-30
I was thinking more about the recent bout of pacifism, and the depression and self-doubt that came before that. The decisions that took him to the Lost Light were made before the Fool's Energon (I think? Maybe he was already on it when he was behind bars?) but his personality has shown more than one drastic change since then. He's barely the same person that he was at the end of Dark Cybertron, and you really do have to wonder...

It definitely makes me look back on the first conversation he had with Ravage and see it in a different light. Ravage seemed pretty certain that Megatron was acting completely out of character then. Maybe he had a point?

If nothing else it'll be a source of tension when he runs up against Tarn.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 10:02 PM   #37
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

I don't have a lot to say at the moment, but consider my interest rekindled.

And hey, it may have taken 50 issues, but Rodimus' character arc finally reached its logical conclusion -- that being mutiny, of course

Still, a nice swift kick in the status quo to shake off this arc fatigue that's been hanging over me for awhile now.

A few minor quibbles here and there, mostly towards some of the shown (or assumed) mutineers, but there's genuine tension here. Exciting stuff.

May weigh in later.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-10, 10:31 PM   #38
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Also, is it possible for a book to become too narratively dense? Because I'm getting the sense that there's almost too much going on in the background that a real palate cleanser is needed

Old 2016-03-11, 05:49 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

On the betrayal, it actually reminded me a lot of the mutiny two parter in season 4 of Battlestar Galactica (even down to the charismatic bullshitter leading the revolution being let out of jail by the supporting characters who've joined him).

In both cases the turning point is the Captain making the choice to form an alliance with the villain that has attempted (with a lot of success) genocide against the heroes, but there's also a cumulative factor of the quest not feeling like its getting anywhere and erratic leadership (Adama basically constantly does what he thinks is right and tried to overthrow both the President and Cain when he didn't agree with them, it's no wonder those below him think "Mutiny" is the default way of dealing with things)n which plays into it. And even though a lot of those secondary characters had been liable allies, their betrayal felt like it made sense in the wider context.

Plus of course, despite what Zarak tried to claim, not everyone was on his side, just enough of them. I suspect we'll see the counter-revolutionaries amidst the LL crew next issue.

Like Red Dave Prime I did wonder if Season 3 was going to be chasing the stolen Lost Light, but as Roberts doesn't like it when people point out Red Dwarf similarities, would he really be that blatant (the destruction of Starbug the Rod Pod does feel like a "We're not going to go down that road" statement).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-12, 10:03 AM   #40
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
I want a Titan Wars Getaway!
I don't know if it's fully confirmed or not, but you are getting one. If I'm not mistaken it's a Chromedome [aka Dead End] retool/repaint.

On the issue itself, I do believe that much like RID 50, it was a taaaad overhyped. Unlike RID 50, where that was the culmination of a story, this one is a clean slate; this is the set-up for the upcoming issues.

On a personal level, I can't help but feel sorry for Megatron; as soon as he has made peace with the world and is happy, BAM, he's reminded that nobody really likes him and bad people are out to get him. If anything, I am curious as to how this did not happen earlier, considering his legacy.

Lots of mysteries on this one; what happened with Censere; who sent the signal, and who sent the second signal? I don't believe that he was set up by Getaway as well.

If anything, it would make sense for the DJD to be waiting in the only building on the planet, instead of wandering around nowhere. Surely they would have left at least one person with all the high-tech stuff there.

Megatron also insisted that Tarn would not harm or bother with neutrals, and they even saved Nickel. So perhaps the outpost was attacked by the Galactic Council, and that's who Getaway sold our bots to, and Tarn just beat them to the ground moments before our bots got there?

I am also wondering about the mutiny of the crew; I do not think that the crew know that the team is in danger. Considering that Bluestreak [and pretty much everybody else] risked their lives to save Swerve a few issues ago, I'm not sure that they know [or even Getaway knows] they're sold off to the DJD.

Convenient Ultra Magnus injury; can't use the teleport switch to Tyrest.

I wonder if he'll get "withdrawal" symptoms just as they're about to be executed, and brutally murder the DJD, swiping Tarn's cannons, sparing the Autobots due to his connection with them, and then leave on solo.

Is this going to be a 6-parter?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote