• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2014-03-28, 07:14 PM   #41
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK
Smile Pre-emptive Auto Assembly 2014/Super Pre-emptive 2015 Thread

Okay folks, time to slooooowly arrange this for this year.

Who's going, how long are they staying, -where- are they staying, if for more than a day, etc

Time to get that accursed 1 pound or so debt off my back after a year, dalek!

Me and my sister will attend, although I am not sure if I'll be there during early Friday or just go Friday night. Full weekend for both of us. Will 99% be staying at the Hilton hotel this time.

Will know full details on whether I'll be in from early Friday in the coming weeks, damn A level results weekend!

Denyer? Dalek? Anybody else?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.

Last edited by Sades; 2014-04-11 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Well, it's true >.>
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-28, 08:02 PM   #42
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Got a weekend pass, so I'll probably stick around for some of the Saturday evening. Unlikely to come back for the Sunday unless anything particularly different's scheduled.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 12:10 AM   #43
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Red face

One of these years, whoever goes will have to put up with us!

But not this one.

If those awesome coasters come back I want like 50 of them.

EDIT: We've decided on 2015. Don't know if we're going to bring the young'un or not at this point.

When do the tickets usually go on sale? I want to buy them early so we can't back out.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook

Last edited by Sades; 2014-03-29 at 02:49 AM.
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 09:02 AM   #44
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

One of these years I'll show my face at AA. It would be good to put some faces to (false, internet) names. Not sure about this year though. When is it and how much? /toolazytogoogle

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 10:43 AM   #45
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

http://www.autoassembly.org.uk/auto-...cket-bookings/

Is it just me or have they not put up booking for one-day passes? Might be opened nearer the time, as they try hard to get pre-booking to underwrite costs. Having said that, I don't think they've ever actually sold out of on-the-day tickets.

9th and 10th August at the Hilton in Birminham, anyway -- next to the NEC.

Quote:
When do the tickets usually go on sale?
Seem to start taking bookings for the next one just after the event.

Old 2014-03-29, 06:47 PM   #46
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

I, too, would like to attend an Auto Assembly one year as it seems to be the most efficient way to meet up with other Archivers. I don't think it'll be a financial possibility this year, though. But I do have questions about costs once I get over there, such as:

How much are hotel rooms?
How much does transit on the trains cost?
Will my bank card work, or will I need to exchange monies?

Etc., etc.

Basically, the price of the plane ticket has remained stable around $1000 for the past five years, but I don't know how much I'll need budgeted for once I get over there. Not too fussed about visiting landmarks; it's the people I'd be interested in.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 07:00 PM   #47
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

To stay for three nights for me this year is just under 160, that's with the special discount for convention attendees.

EDIT: That is of course the convention hotel, if you're coming for more than the event- and it'd be mad to come all that way for three day- finding cheaper hotels to stay in either side wherever you are in the country is easy enough.

For the event itself I'd reccomend at least staying at the NEC complex, Knightdramon has a horror story about his walk through 800 miles of Midlands wilderness to get back to his city centre hotel after missing the last train from Birmingham international.

Plus side, the even is basically right next to Birmingham airport, so if you can get a plane there you basically land on top of it.

Trains vary wildly on how long before you book your tickets, which operator and which routes your going on (actual distance is almost a minor consideration). The British train network is basically useless and a source of deep pain and madness to all who use it.

No idea on cards, but I'd have thought standard things like visa would be international?

Once again this year I'm there from Friday to the Monday morning. Other than that, no firm plans on what to do and when to do it. And annoyingly I seem to have deleted my booking confirmation email, better contact them before August to make sure I definitely did book now, I know how my wacky sitcom life works.

And Hound and Sade's daughter will probably be boozing age before they make it over here

As part of my great Northern Journey, I met old mucker of this site Lord Zarek for a coke this afternoon. And by strange (strange because we live hundreds of miles apart) was at the same, apparently "quaint", Birmingham train station as Knightdramon's sister, only missing her by hours.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 07:23 PM   #48
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
And Hound and Sade's daughter will probably be boozing age before they make it over here
Nope, we're doing next year for sure. We're planning at least one more midget so it's now or wait 13-ish more years. So, barring an "early surprise" or extenuating circumstances that will force us to use our savings we'll be seeing whichever peeps show up in 2015.

We'll be bringing the rugrat, I'm pretty sure neither of us is comfortable with the concept of leaving her with anyone for a week.

Whee!

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 07:57 PM   #49
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
Nope, we're doing next year for sure.
That's what I meant, Canadians start drinking early after all.

Old 2014-03-29, 08:00 PM   #50
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

But, do you really want me to meet your daughter when she's so young and impressionable? I will use the whole weekend to convince her her father is in fact a little black girl.

Old 2014-03-29, 08:27 PM   #51
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
it seems to be the most efficient way to meet up with other Archivers
Taking last year as an example, three people plus someone I used to have fairly well-intentioned arguments with on the IDW forums might be stretching anything but a very literal definition of "other Archivers"... but, er, yeah... a lot more likely to show up to things like this if other people are going, personally. Toys are purely opportunistic purchases at conventions -- no apparent price advantage over online -- and I've mostly got the few autographs I've wanted on things.

With Jim's box art book out soon, hoping he'll be around.

Old 2014-03-29, 08:33 PM   #52
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
I, too, would like to attend an Auto Assembly one year as it seems to be the most efficient way to meet up with other Archivers. I don't think it'll be a financial possibility this year, though. But I do have questions about costs once I get over there, such as:

How much are hotel rooms?
How much does transit on the trains cost?
Will my bank card work, or will I need to exchange monies?

Etc., etc.

Basically, the price of the plane ticket has remained stable around $1000 for the past five years, but I don't know how much I'll need budgeted for once I get over there. Not too fussed about visiting landmarks; it's the people I'd be interested in.
Hmmm...like dalek, will try my best to answer/provide a guide.

Hotel rooms vary wildly, they can range from like 65 pounds per night or so [maaaaybe cheaper for a single room] to 90-100 pounds for the more posh hotels. 65 pounds is like 108 USD by today's rate.

Transit on the trains, as dalek said, varies WILDLY. AA is held right next to Birmingham International, so -if- you land there and you book at the Hilton [place of the convention] you don't have to use a single train. For adults a train ticket, depending on when booked and the destination [not so much the distance] can cost from 3 pounds to 100 pounds. If you're just hovering around Birmingham you can get a day ticket for like...7? I think.

Bank card...I have no clue. You should probably bring and exchange money. If it helps, some dealers appeared to be accepting paypal last year.

Kind of sucks for pretty much -EVERYBODY- else exchanging their money to UK pounds, right? You give in more dollars/euros...you get less pounds. Whereas...we give less pounds, and get more of everything else

Regardless, it's a longshot and it will probably be worse for you financially, but if you wish to visit AA you can always hover over York afterwards and crash at my place.

And, to go back, as dalek said, yes, the closer to AA the hotel, the better. Have you watched an american werewolf in london? The beginning with the guys lost in the wilderness with NOTHING around them? That was me and my sister, catching the veeeeery last bus something like 40 minutes after going through the wilderness, going all the way around the city, and walking in some dodgy roads to get the hotel.

Old 2014-03-29, 09:18 PM   #53
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I get the impression the US mainly (entirely?) uses old magstripe cards rather than chip-and-pin -- which is probably why a lot of the card details fraudulently used in this country are American cards -- but supermarkets at least generally still have the option to swipe and sign. Won't work with self-service machines, of course.

If you buy at a counter rather than using machines, there's a day ticket you can get that covers trains and buses in the Midlands for about eight quid --

http://tickets.networkwestmidlands.c...twork&zone=all

Old 2014-03-29, 09:39 PM   #54
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Taking last year as an example, three people plus someone I used to have fairly well-intentioned arguments with on the IDW forums might be stretching anything but a very literal definition of "other Archivers"... but, er, yeah... a lot more likely to show up to things like this if other people are going, personally. Toys are purely opportunistic purchases at conventions -- no apparent price advantage over online -- and I've mostly got the few autographs I've wanted on things.

With Jim's box art book out soon, hoping he'll be around.
Yeah, but to be honest, there weren't many other "communities" around. Most of the people I met and spoke to were almost "random" guys, no relation to any forum whatsoever.

Plus, each time, you meet more people and more join "the family". Last time through vigorous smoking breaks we gained one extra member in the company

Toys in the UK, even at conventions, are opportunistic for people in the UK alone. In this example, me finding a Generations Whirl for around 29 pounds is more or less a bargain. Clay finding one in the very same environment, but coming from the US market is like the dealer is trying to rob him.

Some of the highlights though are the interactions with whomever is there; it was nice telling Milne I was a huge fan ever since Megatron Origins, Roche offering to sketch me a headshot of any wrecker of my choice, commenting that my name sounds epic, and Roberts more or less acknowledging me as "yeah...the guy that started the roller->tarn thing".

Old 2014-03-30, 01:30 AM   #55
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

To be fair, there were a lot more archivers at last year's AA who were just hiding from Knightdramon and Denyer. In pulled down hats and sunglasses.

Old 2014-03-30, 08:32 AM   #56
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I am going! I will be down on the Friday (at some point - haven't sorted rail fare yet as its too far in advance)and will be there until Sunday yay!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 02:08 PM   #57
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Also mean to do it one year at some point.
SPOILER! (select to read)
I'm shorter than all of you who haven't met me think

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 05:15 PM   #58
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Also mean to do it one year at some point.
I'm shorter than all of you who haven't met me think
This explains a lot, actually!

Quote:
I, too, would like to attend an Auto Assembly one year as it seems to be the most efficient way to meet up with other Archivers. I don't think it'll be a financial possibility this year, though.
Do you think you'd be able to save up enough to make it a reality next year? The wife and I have always wanted to visit England and we figure this'd be a great event to plan it around (with some more typical touristy stuff crammed in before/after). And it'd be pretty awesome if we had a whole pack of out-of-country Archivers there all at once.

(This of course presupposes that wifey isn't 8 1/2 months pregnant and/or we don't have a newborn baby at the time, which is a definite possibility).

Those flight costs, though...ouch!

Oh, and regarding credit/debit cards...your Visa or Mastercard will probably work but you need to call your provider before you go and let them know you're travelling. If charges from half-way around the world suddenly show up on the card, they might decide it's been stolen and cancel it while you're on your trip. Bank cards are a bit more hit-or-miss in my experience, so bringing plenty of cash wouldn't be a bad idea.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-30, 07:22 PM   #59
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

In terms of helping out, assuming my conditions don't change, I can put a couple of people up in my flat for a night or two (I live within easy travelling distance of the hotel), and would even be gracious enough to let them have my bed whilst I slept on the couch. Weirdly my Mother had no problem with the idea when I made a similar offer to Sades when there was a chance of her making it over pre-Hound so it shouldn't be an issue as long as your prepared to put up with the state of my room or the madness of my cat.

Cliffy is 6 foot four in real life.

Old 2014-04-01, 07:29 PM   #60
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

I'm prepared to break out the hazmat gear and be in vague proximity to some of you if absolutely necessary. Only if there's enough of you, mind.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote