[CUSTOM] Generations Treadshot

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

[KITBASH] Generations Treadshot

Post by Clay »

I liked the idea of the Collector Club Treadshot being a repaint of Warpath as a lot of the design details match up well enough, but didn't like the Warpath head. It's too different. Of course, I've had a Treadshot since 1990 or whenever, so actually knowing what he looks like plays a factor there. I thought about popping the head off my original Treadshot, but seeing as I've had that for... 23 years now, I didn't really want to sacrifice him for a custom project. So, time to make a mold and cast a copy!

Success! The next step would be to carve out enough space for the head to fold back into. It's too big for the stock plate to fold down on top of to hide, so I'll have to return to that later.

Next up is some preliminary paint work. I painted the visor clear red on top of the resin cast's white, which makes it quite bright. Then I sprayed the rest of the head gray. More detailed paint work will follow while I'm doing the rest of the body.

And finally, a test mount on the robot body. I ground off the T joint that Warpath's head sits on and drilled a hole for a pin mount. I'll install a capped pin when all the painting is done.

Besides painting, I plan to make his (rather distinctive) gun and incorporate Cat Gut... somehow. Thanks for looking!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Neat. Treadshot was always a personal favourite.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Same here. He's an odd survivor... few pieces for me have lasted, intact and complete, from my original pile, but he's still here. I mean, I understand why the collector's club offering doesn't have a new head. It's expensive to do and... it's Treadshot. But I see this project as an opportunity to do a little better for the poor thing.

Have had some luck gently shaving down the inside of the turret so that the head fits with the flap down. Now I need to find a capped pin in the parts box to mount it.
Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

Really nice work. I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Thanks! So am I :)

Spent time on the hatch today. Built a little extension to cover the head fully. Will add a minor prong or something so that it's not so bare. Also had to shave a bit off the 'ears' to get it to fit. :(

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Looks great :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Added a little bit of molded detail to the hatch and gave it a primer coat. I think it does its job very well!

Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

That works out rather well. Really nice detailing.
Clay

Post by Clay »

A little bit of painting done, but nothing reassembled yet...

Did start building the gun, though. File and whittle, file and whittle...

And why yes, I do have a plan for Cat Gut! :)

/plodding along...
Clay

Post by Clay »

A bit more today... the gun is starting to take shape...

Clay

Post by Clay »

Whittle and file, whittle and file...

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Coming along nicely. Personally I'd nix the shoulder weapons (the launcher thing and its counterpart) to differentiate him from Warpath...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Hmm... maybe, but I think it'll be different enough with the extra accessories and new head. Besides, one of those shoulder things is an anti-aircraft missile pack. He'd be vulnerable without it!

Gun is basically done here. Debating on adding a superficial prong to the back, but placement is a problem with the Warpath mold's wrist in the way. Still, very satisfied with what I made out of flat sheet plastic :)

Clay

Post by Clay »

Yay, done! Will return to this and make Catgut later. Time for a new project...

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Came out nicely. Think it needs more of the distinctive pink on the sides to set off the black and grey, personally.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

You work so fast it puts a guy like me to shame. :)

This is beautiful. I don't think there's a single thing I could nitpick. The mold choice is perfect, the Action Master-based head is perfect, the colours are perfect and the new gun is perfect. Would be interested in seeing a comparison shot of the finished product with the original toy though.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:Came out nicely. Think it needs more of the distinctive pink on the sides to set off the black and grey, personally.
I kept that light since it would make the tank's center orange. The thinner highlights seemed more in place. Plus the mold has a natural ridge there that was easy to tape off and paint.

I did leave off the shoulder weapons though... of course I misplaced the screws that hold them on, but that's beside the point...
Warcry wrote:You work so fast it puts a guy like me to shame. :)

This is beautiful. I don't think there's a single thing I could nitpick. The mold choice is perfect, the Action Master-based head is perfect, the colours are perfect and the new gun is perfect. Would be interested in seeing a comparison shot of the finished product with the original toy though.
Ah! Here you go: