The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2008-01-20, 04:11 AM   #1
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Default MP 08 Grimlock

Thread at TFW

EDIT: Makes sense, though. Grimlock slotted for a summer-ish release and an autumn follow-up with Thundercracker would mirror last year's release schedule, if behind by a month or two. One new mold + one repaint per year? Seems a reasonable rate for such pricey items.
 
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grimlock.jpg (57.3 KB, 908 views)
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 04:19 AM   #2
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Red face

****, I might end up getting a Masterpiece figure...
 
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 04:20 AM   #3
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default


Well from looking at the image above, there isn't really anything else it could be is there? I'm a bit surprised as I didn't think the character was as popular in Japan as it is here. I would have expected Rodimus honestly. I just hope the quality is better than the last two releases, for the amount of cash they cost, the MP series are hardly worth it in my opinion as actual action figures.
 
Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 04:24 AM   #4
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Ackula
MP series are hardly worth it in my opinion as actual action figures.
They're not meant to be. They're made to be complex, realistic, and generally snazzy high-end items to look good on display. Making the figures robust enough to suffer children and clumsy adults doesn't really factor into them.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 04:40 AM   #5
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
They're not meant to be. They're made to be complex, realistic, and generally snazzy high-end items to look good on display. Making the figures robust enough to suffer children and clumsy adults doesn't really factor into them.
I do understand all that. You should be able to transform them though, that is after all what they do, transform. My MP Starscream's wing joint had stress marks right out of the box, and I transformed it once, very, very gently. Afterwards the stress marks turned into hairline cracks. I'm fairly certain if I were to transform it one more time, or put too much force on the wing for any reason, the wing would break off. At this point I now have a transformer with no bot mode pretty much. So in my opinion they should be made of finer materials and higher quality for the price they go for.
 
Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 04:59 AM   #6
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Default

That's a problem unique to that toy mold, though. Prime and Megatron have no such problems, and I doubt this supposed Grimlock would either.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 05:24 AM   #7
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Default

People seem to have had more trouble with MP Megs than BT Grimlock...
 
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 05:33 AM   #8
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
That's a problem unique to that toy mold, though. Prime and Megatron have no such problems, and I doubt this supposed Grimlock would either.
True that MP Prime has never gave me any problems and I've never really heard any reported, but I recall a lot of people reporting problems with MP Megatron as well. So thats what I was basing my knowledge off of when I said I hope the new one is better than the last two releases.
 
Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 05:57 AM   #9
Springer007
Truth-bearer
 
Springer007's Avatar
 
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Default

my MP Op has lasted a loooong time too. He has even dropped off the top of a dresser before and suffered no damage, except to his pride perhaps. I have heard that the slightest drop with MP Megs and he is a goner, as with S.S. too. It's sad when they charge so much, but suffer from cheap materials. I feel like S.S.'s wings should have been metal and not plastic - or at least a higher density plastic!
 
Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 06:49 AM   #10
BlacknRedTed
Dinobot
 
Default

I bought the american version of starscream and I havent had any trouble with it at all. The wings and everything are OK and I hope they stay that way. I have even dropped him from over 6 feet in the air ( I am 6 foot 6 and I was taking pictures above my head by a good light and when I dropped him I was scared at first, but no damage at all). So if that can survive and with all the stories I hear about the japanese version, I aint buying no imported nothing.
 
BlacknRedTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 07:40 AM   #11
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BlacknRedTed
I bought the american version of starscream and I havent had any trouble with it at all. The wings and everything are OK and I hope they stay that way. I have even dropped him from over 6 feet in the air ( I am 6 foot 6 and I was taking pictures above my head by a good light and when I dropped him I was scared at first, but no damage at all). So if that can survive and with all the stories I hear about the japanese version, I aint buying no imported nothing.
The American version is the one I have, and the one that I'm talking about having problems. Seems pretty hit and miss to hear people talk about it.
 
Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 11:31 AM   #12
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

WANT NOW PLEASE.

Dammit.
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 07:45 PM   #13
RID Scourge
Lurking
 
RID Scourge's Avatar
 
In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
****, I might end up getting a Masterpiece figure...
Aye. Definitely want one of those. Wonder if Hasbro'll release him . . . probably not going to wait around to find out.
 
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 08:11 PM   #14
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Springer007
I feel like S.S.'s wings should have been metal and not plastic - or at least a higher density plastic!
This I agree with. Using metal for the high-stress joints that the wings swing on would have prevented breaking entirely. Of course, then the paint would chip.

Can't win for losing...
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 07:35 AM   #15
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Ackula:
My MP Starscream's wing joint had stress marks right out of the box, and I transformed it once, very, very gently.
I have the same problem with Movie Voyager Blackout (at the shoulder panels - came out the box with stress marks, and they are getting worse with every transformation...). And he is meant to stand up to play! But, erm, yeah, I'd be upset if an expensive figure looked like and felt like it was gonna break just like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Springer007:
I have heard that the slightest drop with MP Megs and he is a goner
My MP Megs and Convoy used to live on top of my filing cabinet (which is the amount of space I have for display in my current home, so is now being occupied by a different rotation... although I have a few wee shelves for small TFs...). Both fell from it on a number of occasions (my wife doesn't like 'em, and ain't so careful - and, in her defense, metal is a bit slippy, and the cabinet will always rock when shutting drawers...). Both survived to tell the tale every time. None have major damage, although Convoy has chipped here and there (came that way, a little, in fact) on his torso, and smoke stacks. Megs has one small chip on an arm, and that's it. My Megs seems to be standing up better, despite the fact he feels a lot more fragile. But he is also lighter, which makes a difference in a fall. But I'm perfectly happy with the quality of both for the prices I paid, and I love the transformations!

(I don't have any version of the MP Screamer mold, although have been mildly tempted by the US release. Still, I think Megs and Convoy will do for me for now. They're nice and hefty, and go well together. I don't imagine Screamer fits so nicely beside them...)

Grimlock would have to offer something fantastic for me to consider him though. I'm happy with G1 and Justitoys WST. With Reprolabels stickers for WST, he's very cartoon accurate, and takes up little room on the shelf. But, good choice for the next MP!
 
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 08:54 AM   #16
Springer007
Truth-bearer
 
Springer007's Avatar
 
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Default

I just can't wait to see a size comparison :3. Poor Unicron and Trypticon will have new enemies of hopefully the same scale :3.
 
Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 10:56 AM   #17
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face Re: MP 07 is Grimlock?

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
EDIT: Makes sense, though. Grimlock slotted for a summer-ish release and an autumn follow-up with Thundercracker would mirror last year's release schedule, if behind by a month or two. One new mold + one repaint per year? Seems a reasonable rate for such pricey items.
You're assuming that the repaint isn't Megaplex...
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 12:33 PM   #18
Heinrad
Ironmod
 
Heinrad's Avatar
 
Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!
Default

If it isn't horribly expensive when it comes out, I'll get one.

So when do we get Masterpiece Ironhide? There's an automatic(with minor remolding) repaint into Ratchet, as well as an eHobby exclusive Black Ironhide. And Black Ratchet, if they feel like it.
 
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 05:30 PM   #19
RID Scourge
Lurking
 
RID Scourge's Avatar
 
In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Default

Yeah, just echoing the comments about being ape**** if my $100ish transformer stressed and broke, from just transforming it.

Quote:
Originally posted by numbat
Grimlock would have to offer something fantastic for me to consider him though. I'm happy with G1 and Justitoys WST. With Reprolabels stickers for WST, he's very cartoon accurate, and takes up little room on the shelf. But, good choice for the next MP!
Well, if it's anything like the other MPs, it'll look a bit less bow-legged than the G1 mold, be more articulate, larger and have a more-detailed transformation. Though, if you want a more modern Grimlock, you should track down Classics Grim. I really like how it turned out.
 
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 08:39 PM   #20
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!
 
Sunstreaker2's Avatar
 
Trumbauersville, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Heinrad
If it isn't horribly expensive when it comes out, I'll get one.

So when do we get Masterpiece Ironhide? There's an automatic(with minor remolding) repaint into Ratchet, as well as an eHobby exclusive Black Ironhide. And Black Ratchet, if they feel like it.
I want Masterpiece Ironhide too. And maybe Masterpiece Tracks.(What can I say, I like Tracks!)
 
Sunstreaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.