• transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2006-04-13, 07:22 PM   #161
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Shockwave's new alt is a mug, well it's a better disguise than a giant floating gun.

All in all, a very good issue. I never thought I'd say this but Bot-wise Bumblebee stole the show. Infiltrationís Bumblebee is by far the most likable depiction of the character (In that I like the character). Blitzwing also pushed my buttons, so to speak. The big gun comment was a tad too camp and the "Lock and Load" comment is a tad clichťd. Nevertheless, I found the latter to be rather fitting - he appears to be the badass army general he should be.

I wasn't keen on Megatronís introduction; not only did I find the closing panel uninspiring but there's no suspense or shock value seeing as his face is printed in that bloody "who's who" thing. Still at least he appeared to be a proper leader rather than being introduced as a bumbling knob, saying something on the lines of ďI Megatron will destroy the Earth for some reason with my latest diabolical scheme muhahahhahah!Ē

Edit: Fixed broken link

-Alex???

Last edited by Aardvark; 2006-09-02 at 05:40 PM.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 08:04 PM   #162
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
General query: to what extent do you think this impression would be true minus the October preview issue?
For one thing, I felt the preview issue was the most important issue for me thus far because it introduced many elements of the storyline and really set the tone.

Maybe its because I view this preview issue as a regular issue, not some small teaser, that I feel the pacing is moving a tad too slow.

In other words, this issue feels more like an #5, with five months of time unfolded, yet very little of the mystery revealed thus far.

Never have I felt so strongly that reading a story in TPB form would absolutely kick ass compared to reading it piecemeal with month long interruptions.

In fact, I'm withholding these issues from my wife so she can read it in one sitting.

Commander Shockwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 10:55 AM   #163
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I still feel like I'm reading a preview comic, sorry. Bumblebee stole the show because piss-all else happened. We've got two issues for this to go somewhere that isn't going to be big and empty when Stormbringer switches the story to somewhere else, and at this pace it's not going to. We have a reappearance of 'comedy' pages of panels of Transformers going "Ehh" (it was **** in WW... now it's reconstituted ****). We have Ratchet narrating the obvious actions he's undertaking, and acting like an idiot ("What do I know about Blitzwing? He's a triplechanger... whoops, forgot about the third, as in triple, mode that just shot me LOL").

A few nice bits of dialogue, but Alephlite needs to be out of this story. I wouldn't mind a bit of character development, but her character hasn't moved at all. She's an EDGY, uptight forty-something male comic writer's idea of an independant female character (she's actually Arcee from Prime's Rib) and we are finding out that she's a cardboard cut-out, and at the expense of the story. And other parts of the dialogue were very forced, like the gun comment and the Buffy quote (if Hardwired got there first...).

Oh, and we've got sub-X-Files government agencies involved. Marvellous, because this thing needs more humans, doesn't it? If they aren't going to be anything to do with it, we wasted two pages meeting them, didn't we?

I'm mildly interested into why Skywarp and Blitzwing are bombing the Decepticon base, but to be honest it'll be another 19 of these uneconomic narratives before we find out, so that tempers my enthusiasm just a little. I agree with Shockwav that so far there's been enough plot and action for two ****ing issues.

The art and colouring was the best yet for me... the colours were a little bit less like the pages had been left in the sun, which worked better with the pencils

We're going to have an issue of Aleph, her comedy foil and The Other One trying to escape Megatron while Bumblebee probably reprises his amazing Primal Scream strategy of deciding to beat the Decepticons in a fight, and managing so and the jets bomb the crap out of the place, and it'll end with Optimus turning up, setting us up for a Classic "I don't have a ****ing clue" Furman conclusion.

In its' way, this has been more disappointing than Dreamwave, as I'd expected this to be good. I'm still holding out hope that it'll all come together in the last two issues, but it's very hard to justify thinking of the big picture when I have five comics in which not a lot actually happens. I'm just thinking that if I'm holding on though a mixture of hope, completism and having paid up front, how many more casual readers have dropped this like a brick?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 11:29 AM   #164
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Hmmmm, it wasn't bad, but needs a kick up the arse so as not to go of the rails. I'm asuming the government stuff is seting somthing up for the future (and it's worth remembering that this is anongoing despite the subtitle, so there's no reason not to drop seeds for future issues in amoungst the plot). I'd love to know why one of them seems to be a fat Adolf Hitler though.

Quote:
I'm mildly interested into why Skywarp and Blitzwing are bombing the Decepticon base
The why is I think fairly obvious- To cover up the traces of Starscreams machinations on Earth (which is the real mystery). I'm asuming Megatron wasn't suposed to be there so presumibly he's checking up on Screamer as well.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 11:47 AM   #165
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm asuming the government stuff is seting somthing up for the future (and it's worth remembering that this is anongoing despite the subtitle, so there's no reason not to drop seeds for future issues in amoungst the plot).
It worked for Brad 'n' Adam, after all. 'Ongoing' isn't an excuse to leave all sorts of **** dangling everywhere and blow five issues (#0 is an issue... if it wasn't an issue, it wouldn't have been in a seperate comic... I'd be more convinced to assign it as a "Preview" or "Trailer" if the following four hadn't been more of the same) on plodding build-up. I don't want something that's going to read as a great 800-page TPB in three years' time.

Quote:
The why is I think fairly obvious- To cover up the traces of Starscreams machinations on Earth (which is the real mystery). I'm asuming Megatron wasn't suposed to be there so presumibly he's checking up on Screamer as well.
Yeh, probably. that just means we've got to have "classic" treachorous Starscream in the mix for the next two issues as well. I'm not sure about being need to be kept on the rails, it could do with a push out of the station before the next train turns up, though.

Basically, we could be left with seven issues of set up before we switch to Cybertron, and some, if not all, of the events of Infiltration are put on hold. Now, that'd be fine if it was the first 20 minutes of a film, but if Infiltration continues as it's been so far, that's over six months were it hasn't really gone anywhere. There's been nothing actually wrong with the individual issues, but as a plot arc it's been terribly dull.

Old 2006-04-15, 11:53 AM   #166
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh, probably. that just means we've got to have "classic" treachorous Starscream in the mix for the next two issues as well.
Considering that of the three Autobots who've actually contributed to the plot only Prowl is totally like his old self personality wise I'm hoping Starscream will have been redefined as well. We could really have done with some more insight into Screamers/The Deceptions overall plan and reason for breaking into seige mode at this stage as well. Even if it had been done in the old Marvel way of having charecters tell each other things they allready know. It's hard to get an idea of the stakes at the moment (though based on that body it seems Starscream is after air stewards for some reason...)

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 07:27 PM   #167
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
We've got two issues for this to go somewhere that isn't going to be big and empty
Yep. Stay tuned.
Quote:
Oh, and we've got sub-X-Files government agencies involved. Marvellous, because this thing needs more humans, doesn't it?
Agreed.
Quote:
I agree with Shockwav that so far there's been enough plot and action for two ****ing issues.
Agr......oh.
Quote:
The art and colouring was the best yet for me...
Me too.
Quote:
I'm still holding out hope that it'll all come together in the last two issues, but it's very hard to justify thinking of the big picture when I have five comics in which not a lot actually happens.
My biggest fear also.
Quote:
I'm just thinking that if I'm holding on though a mixture of hope, completism and having paid up front, how many more casual readers have dropped this like a brick
Wondering the same damn thing.

Old 2006-04-16, 09:57 PM   #168
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Come on it was worth it for the Shockwave mug OMG LOL Electric Light Orchestra. A mug with Shockwave, Furman you little devil, you do know what the "Fans" want, thanks for the Grimlock by the way.
Though I have quite a positive outlook on the issue I do actually agree with Commander Shockwav and Cliffjumper about the lack of content. However like Shockwave I agree that the TPB will probably turn out to be a more favourable format for infiltration.

But generally I've been satisfied if just a tad bored with the series. I mean if I actually got what I wanted in TF comics, well ltes just say it would be dominated by obscuros, action masters and Hook line and Sinker

-Alex???
Old 2006-04-17, 01:46 PM   #169
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
However like Shockwave I agree that the TPB will probably turn out to be a more favourable format for infiltration.
Thing is we aren't buying a TPB... there isn't a sense of "I've paid 12.99 for this, so I'll forgive the first ~100 pages for being a bit slow and plug on with the rest" - granted, that's roughly what I'm doing, but I'd say for any series, even if TPBs are very much part of the plan, the first arc has to have a bit of punch, rather than the odd good moment...

I don't think, with me, it's a matter of it not being exactly the book I want... Aside from Verity and the rather forced tech references (the internet is seriously in danger of becoming the latest plot device in most media), there's not a lot bad about the series, not a lot at all. It just takes ages for anything to happen, and generally when it does it's over very quickly and we have the long wait for another event while the Armada Kids piss and bitch. I just think the thing's overdosed on tantalisation and mystery. I'm also pretty sure someone could pick up #4 and the summation would mean they wouldn't have to bother with #0-3 - laudable in terms of reader jumping-on points, not so in terms of whether the first four issues were worth making.

Comics also aren't a good medium for tension unless it's really ****ing good (we're talking Planetary good here, and Transformers doesn't have the scope to manage something like that). So far with Infiltration I've yet to be in a "can't wait to see what happens next!" mindset - even DW managed that once (admittedly, early on, when I was hoping they were going to turn it around and we'd had a palatable issue... ironically, G1 #4...).

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2006-04-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2006-04-17, 02:44 PM   #170
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Thing is we aren't buying a TPB... there isn't a sense of "I've paid 12.99 for this, so I'll forgive the first ~100 pages for being a bit slow and plug on with the rest" - granted, that's roughly what I'm doing, but I'd say for any series, even if TPBs are very much part of the plan, the first arc has to have a bit of punch, rather than the odd good moment...

I don't think, with me, it's a matter of it not being exactly the book I want... Aside from Verity and the rather forced tech references (the internet is seriously in danger of becoming the latest plot device in most media), there's not a lot bad about the series, not a lot at all. It just takes ages for anything to happen, and generally when it does it's over very quickly and we have the long wait for another event while the Armada Kids piss and bitch. I just think the thing's overdosed on tantalisation and mystery. I'm also pretty sure someone could pick up #4 and the summation would mean they wouldn't have to bother with #0-3 - laudable in terms of reader jumping-on points, not so in terms of whether the first four issues were worth making.

I think Cliffy is experiencing pretty much that same lethargic feeling to the story here that I am. I don't think its a bad story, its just empty in some ways. Perhaps the human focus is part of it, but even then, I feel that if more happened per issue, the humans wouldn't be such a nuisance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the preview issue plus the first two issues that Ratchet was battling the Battlechargers? Now don't get me wrong, I thought the battle scenes were well done as was the car chase, BUT, would it be possible to add more plot in there some where instead of a car chase for three issues?

The story is good. I have enjoyed it. But let's face it, two or three issues AT THE MOST would have accomplished what we've seen so far.

When did I realize we had a problem with pacing? After I read Marvel's Annihilation: Prologue right before. More happened in that preview issue than the entire Infiltration series thus far. And I enjoyed Annihilation more and I don't even care for it like I do Transformers. I felt cheated after reading the issue, because if Marvel can pack that much punch in a preview issue, then we should get the same favor.

Old 2006-04-17, 02:45 PM   #171
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Thumbs up

Quote:

Comics also aren't a good medium for tension unless it's really ****ing good (we're talking Planetary good here, and Transformers doesn't have the scope to manage something like that). So far with Infiltration I've yet to be in a "can't wait to see what happens next!" mindset - even DW managed that once (admittedly, early on, when I was hoping they were going to turn it around and we'd had a palatable issue... ironically, G1 #4...).
I used to feel the same way about the infiltration series then I got really optimistic and now I'm starting to revert back to the former. I blame the Internet! Iíve been kind of left confused with the lack of content with each issue but there seems to be a tad more content each time so I felt a little optimistic, but I guess I its just too many issues into the series to have that mind set. I don't care about humans playing a part in transformers but I do like to see the Transformers once and a while so when I see a half way believable battle my eyes light up. There is also like most comics, music, cartoons and movies, there is a lack of fun in it. Carwash of doom may have been cringe worthy but at least it didn't take itself seriously Its a petty the last really interesting piece of Transformers writing was g2.

The main pull for me is the Transformers actual designs (In any of the universes, which is why actually enjoy the imo shoddy Beast Wars comics even horrid #3). I like the "idea" of characters and their character designs. I worked in a comic book store for a short time and trying to explain to the guy who runs the place that I donít care what characterisation Doc Oc has been given, I prefer The likes of the Beetle, Lightmaster, Shocker etc. Obviously I want good writing but I would buy a Spiderman comic, whether it was by a writer I like or not if it features characters I like. I know theres a high chance it won't be good but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Which is why its so frustrating to see the same old characters over and over. And with that bloody enjoying roster at the start you know thereís no surprise minus shock-mug I do find myself often skimming through the pages with humans, yet seeing as most of it is taken up by them I skim through a lot.

Dw featured more transformers but I found their Generation 1 stuff so painfully boring and painful to look at that. I enjoyed a lot of the War Within I felt whatís the point in this Anyhoo with infiltration there's still always a feel that the next issue will be great although it hasn't happened yet.I still have that optimistic outlook on Infiltration but if this is another screamer schemer tale Oh and Jimmy is definitely going to die

-Alex???
Old 2006-04-17, 03:04 PM   #172
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Sorry for the double post
Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
I think Cliffy is experiencing pretty much that same lethargic feeling to the story here that I am. I don't think its a bad story, its just empty in some ways. Perhaps the human focus is part of it, but even then, I feel that if more happened per issue, the humans wouldn't be such a nuisance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the preview issue plus the first two issues that Ratchet was battling the Battlechargers? Now don't get me wrong, I thought the battle scenes were well done as was the car chase, BUT, would it be possible to add more plot in there some where instead of a car chase for three issues?

The story is good. I have enjoyed it. But let's face it, two or three issues AT THE MOST would have accomplished what we've seen so far.

When did I realize we had a problem with pacing? After I read Marvel's Annihilation: Prologue right before. More happened in that preview issue than the entire Infiltration series thus far. And I enjoyed Annihilation more and I don't even care for it like I do Transformers. I felt cheated after reading the issue, because if Marvel can pack that much punch in a preview issue, then we should get the same favor.
Still without the humans the bots aren't that interesting anywy. I'm only speaking for myself but I think this is probably better received by people new to transformers in comic form. I've read through all the g1 and g2 stuff. I hate having to relive the same tired stuff again OMG that carís a robot! OMG strarscream did something. And this is why I believe a fresher cast of transformers would have been suitable. Bumblebee getís some slight character tweaking as does ratchet (Well I donít even see it that much, still Bumblebee was enjoyable in this issue). But do they they really need it. I know Iíve said this before but for me characters like Ratchet have reached their big revelation, life changing moment, epiphany etc i.e crashing the ark same with Megatron in G2 and Grimlock realising Optimusí strength as a leader. Shockwave went out wit ha bang as well. I just like I having to forget all the previous characterisations and see it all pan out again.

-Alex???
Old 2006-04-17, 03:44 PM   #173
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Sorry for the double post

Still without the humans the bots aren't that interesting anywy. I'm only speaking for myself but I think this is probably better received by people new to transformers in comic form. I've read through all the g1 and g2 stuff. I hate having to relive the same tired stuff again OMG that carís a robot! OMG strarscream did something. And this is why I believe a fresher cast of transformers would have been suitable. Bumblebee getís some slight character tweaking as does ratchet (Well I donít even see it that much, still Bumblebee was enjoyable in this issue). But do they they really need it. I know Iíve said this before but for me characters like Ratchet have reached their big revelation, life changing moment, epiphany etc i.e crashing the ark same with Megatron in G2 and Grimlock realising Optimusí strength as a leader. Shockwave went out wit ha bang as well. I just like I having to forget all the previous characterisations and see it all pan out again.
This is the thing that gets me. The Transformers cast is over 500 characters, yet its the same bots over and over again. Practically speaking, though, most fans want to see the famous bots. A story that focuses on, say , Ruckus, isn't going to get much praise from the mainstream fans and likely wouldn't sell either. Personally, I would love an anthology series that features lesser known characters with each issue. I wonder how such a series would sell...

Old 2006-04-17, 04:00 PM   #174
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

To borrow a phrase (Jamie Carragher, IIRC), the thing's turning a corner, it just seems a bloody long corner...

I'm 99% sure I'd really, really like Infiltration, apart from the aforementioned "street" crap (another thing is the use of computer devices in Infiltration is embarrassing compared to something like Global Frequency... it's as bad as Mickey and his missile-firing laptop in places) if it wasn't so bloody slow. The story I like. Unusually for Furman it's new, brave and good - it's nice to have a human perspective with the Transformer action already somewhat advanced; on the one hand we do have the same old characters, but then they're generally the ones with the most scope if used correctly, and it's nice to have a variation from the "Decepticons land and **** up the planet" plotline (providing we eventually get an explanation as to why they aren't)... it's just all so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Old 2006-04-17, 06:24 PM   #175
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

Yeah the cons have been handled well however they we're a little camp in this issue. I like the lock and load clichť but this issue slightly shattered the militaristic image of Blitzwing and Skywarp with the "Who cares lets blow the living crap out of them"

As in regards to using obscurer characters, I'm not saying plaster Windmill all over the cover merely integrate the characters with the more established characters, leaving the writer to develop these new characters without having to waste time putting his precious new spin on the established i.e Prime dislikes women. Still I wonder if Furman will put his own spin on the likes of the Headmasters if the IDWs Transformers Lasts long enough.
Stormbringer appears to offer much but could deliver the biggest disappointment TF history. Using Thunderwing seems to indicate that Furman is at least partially aiming at the veteran comic readers so adding characters like the aforementioned Rukus wouldn't be a financial disaster.

-Alex???
Old 2006-04-17, 08:29 PM   #176
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Unhappy

It also means Simon could be falling back on former glories - there's more than a little of that in the rough-and-ready Ratchet and more confident Bumblebee. And Thunderwing was always, always crap.

Old 2006-04-17, 08:40 PM   #177
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Thunderwing, well for me he was just backdrop. I never understood the hype about him "Thunda-wing is da man, wat a badass" Though I didn't dislike him. Still better him then Shockwave. One of my all time faves just don't want to see the same thing again. All for a ratbat comeback though

-Alex???
Old 2006-04-18, 12:00 AM   #178
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
We've got two issues for this to go somewhere that isn't going to be big and empty when Stormbringer switches the story to somewhere else
The series are linked -- basically, the mini is another chunk of ongoing. And it's been so long since we've had a comic start as an ongoing, or read one to find out what will happen next... how closed was the story on Earth by the time The Smelting Pool was published? In that time, we'd had the matrix set up as a source of future characters, flashes over to Cybertron, etc.

Quote:
We have a reappearance of 'comedy' pages of panels of Transformers going "Ehh" (it was **** in WW... now it's reconstituted ****). We have Ratchet narrating the obvious actions he's undertaking
Comedy? Hmm. I think Ratchet's thinking out loud is simply to demonstrate he's remaining calm under pressure.

Quote:
she's actually Arcee from Prime's Rib
Arcee was effective. Until we get to Space Pirates, anyway. Verity's there to scream at things. I quite like the character, but that's the setup -- appropriate noises at moments of danger. Most of us (the ones with slightly less familiarity with decomposing bodies, at least) would be doing the same.

I think it's a shame we're not getting #7 side-by-side with Stormbringer (I've always preferred main timeline stuff rather than alt-universes and crossovers) and #6 will probably suffer somewhat for not being immediately continued.

Furman had me with the end of #2, and is tossing in enough revelation to satisfy as a monthly -- I'd rather there were fewer fights and more backstory, but the film-style touches so far are enjoyable in moderation. Furman could probably do with ramping up the panel count per page for Escalation, but I'd rather the full-page spreads went on story points rather than inflated robot posing. Which I think might be something I'll dislike about Stormbringer, but fingers crossed -- Don's doing things with the BW series that are reminiscent of DW, hopefully only because it originated as a DW script.

Quote:
This is the thing that gets me. The Transformers cast is over 500 characters, yet its the same bots over and over again.
Honestly, there isn't all that much characterisation for some of the original Earth 'bots. Appearances and profile nods, but not much development. Quotes such as Ratchet/Starscream towards the end of the run top fan polls because there aren't really that many of them -- certainly not if you just take the US stories. I'm slightly biased by having started with later issues (and UK at that) and read backwards, but I don't have the same ties to stuff such as Warrior School.

Quote:
I'd be more convinced to assign it as a "Preview" or "Trailer" if the following four hadn't been more of the same
Rather than the #0 being written as a separate story (in which case it'd have been neither a preview nor trailer)? The way it's set up, #1 and parts of #2 make it redundant -- there's no assumption readers will have the preview. I think IDW would be a bit nuts to print it at the front of the trade, considering its content is comprehensively covered in the main storyline,

Quote:
Thunderwing was always, always crap.
I liked Dark Creation, anyway. Thunderwing showing up at just the convenient time with the matrix against Unicron... that was a little sloppy -- I've always felt the blowing up was altogether far too easy, having already seen it in the movie once by then... anyway, enough about Unicron. I hope.

Where were Skywarp and Blitzwing militaristic, rather than just efficient at turning up and carpet-bombing whatever was there?

Quote:
Unusually for Furman it's new, brave and good - it's nice to have a human perspective with the Transformer action already somewhat advanced; on the one hand we do have the same old characters, but then they're generally the ones with the most scope if used correctly, and it's nice to have a variation from the "Decepticons land and **** up the planet" plotline (providing we eventually get an explanation as to why they aren't)... it's just all so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
Hmm. I'm really enjoying -- I expect more scope to be apparent in Stormbringer (and for it to have a beginning, middle and end -- the last of which Furman might struggle with -- since it's a mini) but Escalation will need more pace taking up the reigns after Stormbringer. I'm looking at #1-6 as the first hour of a film, for about the price of a DVD. By those criteria, it is a little slow.

Quote:
Personally, I would love an anthology series that features lesser known characters with each issue. I wonder how such a series would sell...
Dunno, but it's what I'd like to see as an Evolutions/Universe line, rather than time-displacement-and-redesign fic. It's not quite the mandate of the series ("what if?") but is in line with the Marvel What If? series insofar as they're stories that don't necessarily take place in main continuity but explore characters and their reactions to situations. One-shots are good -- the better old TF comics are full of them, solidly-packed 5/6 page stuff -- but to sell they'd need to be placed in an ongoing numbered series. Stores won't generally buy a bunch of one-shots unless they have Wolverine or Batman on the cover.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 03:07 PM   #179
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Been waiting for you to get this one...

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
The series are linked -- basically, the mini is another chunk of ongoing. And it's been so long since we've had a comic start as an ongoing, or read one to find out what will happen next... how closed was the story on Earth by the time The Smelting Pool was published? In that time, we'd had the matrix set up as a source of future characters, flashes over to Cybertron, etc.
It's not about the story being closed it's about it being something other than build-up - the US storyline had been through two storylines where stuff actually happened by Smelting Pool (the mini/Shockwave), plus several other shorter storylines (#13-16, basically). It's not about closure, it's about progress.

Quote:
Comedy? Hmm.
If it was intended as dramatic, it also failed massively.

Quote:
I think Ratchet's thinking out loud is simply to demonstrate he's remaining calm under pressure.
Which is equally rendered stupid by his idiotic actions (wander up to smoking crater, hope Bltizwing's forgotten about third mode and being a bit tough).

Quote:
Arcee was effective. Until we get to Space Pirates, anyway.
You realise Space Pirates was her debut, besides the TF:TM comic, yeh? Unless we're designating her cartoon status as "effective"...

Quote:
Verity's there to scream at things. I quite like the character, but that's the setup -- appropriate noises at moments of danger. Most of us (the ones with slightly less familiarity with decomposing bodies, at least) would be doing the same.
Her Scream KO factor isn't the problem for me, it's the forced, edgy street characterisation.

Quote:
I think it's a shame we're not getting #7 side-by-side with Stormbringer (I've always preferred main timeline stuff rather than alt-universes and crossovers) and #6 will probably suffer somewhat for not being immediately continued.
It strikes me as a slightly daft move... it could cost a lot of casual readers... On the face of it, it could be a lose-lose situation - Infiltration could not go anywhere, and lots of people see the "end" of the series as a good place to stop; Infiltration could pick up the pace, really get somewhere good as opposed to vaguely satisfactory, and BAM!, we're on Cybertron, possibly with the same plodding build-up.

Quote:
Honestly, there isn't all that much characterisation for some of the original Earth 'bots. Appearances and profile nods, but not much development. Quotes such as Ratchet/Starscream towards the end of the run top fan polls because there aren't really that many of them -- certainly not if you just take the US stories. I'm slightly biased by having started with later issues (and UK at that) and read backwards, but I don't have the same ties to stuff such as Warrior School.
Not really an excuse for trotting out the same old suspects each time, though, is it? Especially as the only two we've seen much seem to be wearing their old clothes...

Quote:
Rather than the #0 being written as a separate story (in which case it'd have been neither a preview nor trailer)? The way it's set up, #1 and parts of #2 make it redundant -- there's no assumption readers will have the preview. I think IDW would be a bit nuts to print it at the front of the trade, considering its content is comprehensively covered in the main storyline,
Which beggars the question, why bother? It might be nice of them for newer readers, but it doesn't mean we're not getting the same old rope for new money in places. Just make the thing #1 and put some actual story in #2. I feel like I've bought 5 preview issues.

Quote:
I liked Dark Creation, anyway. Thunderwing showing up at just the convenient time with the matrix against Unicron... that was a little sloppy -- I've always felt the blowing up was altogether far too easy, having already seen it in the movie once by then... anyway, enough about Unicron. I hope.
Furman said Unicron wouldn't be in the series, so I'd say he's sure to show up soon

A brief glance at Thunderwing's resumee, while we're here:

- Manages to kill a couple of generics
- Gets blown up by a dead cassette
- Beats up some pretty crap Decepticons
- Attacks Ark singlehandedly. Loses, let off presumably because the Autobots thought he was funny.
- Gets Decepticon leadership for no apparent reason. Secret Decepticon Files reveal that it's because he's a loud, ignorant, shouty fool who thinks he's a badass, the criterion the Decepticons look for in their leaders. Thankfully, due to someone realising there are currently 294 other Decepticon leaders, his army consists of Spinister, Needlenose, Windsweeper and Maybe One Of The Jeep Ones, I Can't Remember.
- Manages to mug a half-dead trio of Autobots and get the Ultimate Weapon, the Creation Matrix.
- Proceeds to use this vessel of massive force as a laser. That's the equivalent of resurrecting George Orwell, and using him as a typist.
- After about five minutes, he gets shot by a couple of characters we haven't seen since Jose put everyone in the background of all the panels. The matrix realises what a tosser he is, and takes over. That's all she wrote for Thunderwing, but he can **** stuff up from beyond the grave still!
- The Matrix would have then killed all the Autobots, but for the fact Thunders had three of their number at his mercy, and decided, instead of killing his mortal enemies, to strap them to a big B-movie shackling device, probably the ACME Taunt Your Captured Enemy As They Plot Your Downfall Restraint. One of these Autobots then fires a harpoon through Thunderwing's body.

He. Is. Rubbish.

Quote:
[b]I'm looking at #1-6 as the first hour of a film, for about the price of a DVD. By those criteria, it is a little slow.[b/]
Considering the scant content, it feels more like the first episode of a TV show to me. We've just done the final ad break, and to be honest I'd probably have turned off by now.

Old 2006-04-18, 04:10 PM   #180
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Using Thunderwing seems to indicate that Furman is at least partially aiming at the veteran comic readers so adding characters like the aforementioned Rukus wouldn't be a financial disaster.
Here's my biggest gripe with Furman. Actually, two gripes.

Firstly, his dialogue is at times awful. I've said it before, I'll say it again, sometimes no dialogue is needed to convey the message. Take that sequence in this last issue where Blitzwing blasts Ratchet. He should have cut that "Lock and load" Earth-saying **** out and had absolutely nothing said by Blitzwing. These kind of phrases cheesify potentially powerful moments.

A second gripe I have with Furman characterization is that anytime he has a chance to play with a new character, he gives him one of two personalities. One, a wise-guy whose mouth suffers from saracastic verbal diarrhea, or two, a character that is so emotionally charged, you would swear that its a human in robots clothing who has seen a ghost or is staring death in the face. He even did this to Prowl at the end of the Marvel run. Prowl! Of all characters! I mean he made Grimlock the calm, logical one, and Prowl the bot with never ending menstruation.