Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Issue #3 is due out on March 8th.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 09:33 PM   #122
DrSpengler
Primus

Now THIS was a good issue. I wasn't really loving Infiltration much so far, but I think the whole thing has finally picked up with #3.

Or maybe the reason I enjoyed it so much more was the "More Transformers-Less Verity" formula. Hmmmm...

Anyway, good stuff. I figured if it was bound to get better sooner or later. I'm glad Furman's actually worked in a decent reason for the humans to be there, and a decet reason for them to be helping.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 2006-03-08 at 09:35 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 12:54 AM   #123
Justin

Columbus, OH

I really enjoyed it. The art looked great, the story felt like it was going somewhere.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 04:17 PM   #124
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

I was quite disappointed with the coloring this issue, as it detracted from Su's pencils. As mentioned above, that Autobot conference scene was somehow not right, maybe too dark. That limabean chap on the boards colored that page, and I must say, it was better done than the one in print.

But let's get down to what really matters: the story. I feel things really picked up this issue, and most importantly, we are seeing more focus on character development of the bots. That's what is going to move this comic more than anything, the individual characterization.

Having said that, I have a small problem with the pace of this story. I know things are moving along, it just seems they are moving along slower than I would personally like to see. I will say this though. In a TPB format, it would be perfect. This is not the kind of story that does well with month long interuptions. But then again, maybe its just my lack of patience creeping in.

Overall, I give this issue a B. Looking forward to more.

Commander Shockwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 01:37 PM   #125
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Yay, comics before the weekend!

Arrived earlier, and this is absolutely chock full of things I appreciated. Verity in Pat Lee distortion-vision on the cam. A little hint of psychopathy in Sunstreaker's dialogue. "Why are we here?" The very real sense of danger accompanying the Decepticons, the cinematic moment with Ironhide, Bumblebee living up to his spy credentials (and manifesting as a woman), Bruce Campbell running an auto-lot...

Unlike some, I'm not bothered by the colouring -- the only time I did a double-take was when Prowl has a light source right behind his head, and it fits. Use of washed colour in low-lighting situations (Autobot base, the garage in earlier issues) is something comics companies often don't bother with, as they want everything bright and shiny for the entire duration.

The last couple of issues have been one extended "wow" moment. Fingers crossed it'll stay like that.

Old 2006-03-10, 08:05 PM   #126
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Wasn't it good to have holo Ratchet back? They should give him his own sit com. Once more a very good issue with some great Prowl/Ratchet interaction.

The only real niggle was the whole idea of the humes "infiltrating" the Decepticons old base seemed really forced. How much use are they going to be toodling round a place built at transformer scale anway? It could wind up like the Denise Waterman stuff on Little Britain. Plus should this sort of espionage be Bumblebee's job? Then again, he seems a bit shifty and is very keen to sned Verity and co in- perhaps he doesn't want to risk himself?

I thought the art was great, but hated the captions telling us each Autobots name on the splash page- As if we were worried we might have forgotten the mug shots naming each charecter just two pages earlier.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 10:41 AM   #127
optimusskids
Primus

UK

Anyone know what Blitzwings Alt are?

What's happening with Bumblebee and the out of wedlock offspring of Shockwave and Galvatron on the teaser page

optimusskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 11:51 AM   #128
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
hated the captions telling us each Autobots name on the splash page
I think it was to go with the TV style the bit with Ironhide was -- I've seen it done in films/serials, anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
not the kind of story that does well with month long interuptions.
Dunno, Furman's getting into the swing of mini-cliffhangers. I'd still like to see some one-shot issues as part of the main title after, say, Escalation, though. Self-contained stories that link up tend to be my favourites.

Old 2006-03-11, 12:06 PM   #129
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Aside from the slight "The Autobots are waving guns at Ratchet/The Autobots are having coffee with Ratchet" thing (yeh, siege mode, still felt a little silly), but yeh, I enjoyed. Less comedy Global Frequency rejects, more Transformers. I agree with Dalek on the human infiltration thing - realistically, just walking from one end of a Transformer base to another would be hard work for a human. Good flecks of characterisation for the Bots, though I hope Prowl develops a little beyond being the old anti-Grimlock.

I did love some of the little touches - my favourite was the casual mention that Prime's waiting in the wings, where DW would probably have tried to act like he doesn't exist so an entire issue could be devoted to building up to his appearance (I've got 5 that says his character model is barely changed, incidentally).

I think, though, ultimately evaluation overall's going to depend on how well this sets up the last three issues

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 12:26 PM   #130
optimusskids
Primus

UK

I like the way you can tell that Ironhide disapproves of Ratchet's actions without him opening his mouth once his body language says volumes.

I have to agree that a bunch of humans wandering round an abandoned base isn't really going to be much use to them .

"oh look what fascinating things these alien equivalent of skirting boards are."

I just hope that they resist any Independece Dayesque notions of Verity hacking there computer with a palm pilot or whatever

Also why was Sunstreaker designed with cupholders in his head!!

Old 2006-03-11, 12:43 PM   #131
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by optimusskids

So he could hold cups on his head?

Old 2006-03-11, 12:47 PM   #132
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I've got 5 that says his character model is barely changed, incidentally
Do you mean characterisation? 'Cause we've already seen the art model on a cover for #6.

Quote:
I just hope that they resist any Independece Dayesque notions of Verity hacking there computer with a palm pilot or whatever
Oh ye gods, yes.

Old 2006-03-11, 12:58 PM   #133
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Do you mean characterisation? 'Cause we've already seen the art model on a cover for #6.
Erm, yeh, that's exactly what I meant. Like I'd make such a poorly-researched point.

***TOPIC CLOSED***

Old 2006-03-11, 02:22 PM   #134
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Aside from the slight "The Autobots are waving guns at Ratchet/The Autobots are having coffee with Ratchet" thing
Quote:
Clearly beverages are very important to this comic...

One niggle art wise- Did we really need a five panel page with four identicle panels of Ironhide? That's the sort of thing Cliffy mocks Pat Lee for in his Dreamwave Disaster essay...

Old 2006-03-13, 01:30 AM   #135
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Thumbs up. Good issue.

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 05:34 AM   #136
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
That's the sort of thing Cliffy mocks Pat Lee for in his Dreamwave Disaster essay...
I think it was more that there wasn't much (any) characterisation or point to vehicles driving forwards through snow.

In contrast, this and the "NOW." bit in #2 achieved things that wouldn't have reduced to a thought balloon or narration box.

Similar passage of time technique, but used with purpose.

Old 2006-03-13, 03:09 PM   #137
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
I think it was more that there wasn't much (any) characterisation or point to vehicles driving forwards through snow.
Isn't giving Prime chance to show of his Man-boobs point enough?

Also, having moaned about her before, I found Verity and her panic attack to be the more realistic reaction to being kidnapped by aliens as opposed to the other two's more relaxed attitudes. I'm still not sure why she got so excited by a Volkswagon though.

Old 2006-03-14, 10:07 AM   #138
Thefallenone
Banned

Drifting

got my copie Saturday, and thought it was brilliant ^_^
can't wait for issue 4

Thefallenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 05:44 PM   #139
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

Quote:
Anyone know what Blitzwings Alt are?
A Jet and a Tank...just like they've always been.

I really enjoyed this issue, despite what people have been saying about the pace being too slow i think it's really paid off. I loved the Hit and Run attacks by Skywarp and Blitzwing, especially with each one ending with "next?" it's all adding to the build up of some awsome Decepticon master plan. I also like the infiltration theme of it all, it's like there's a valid reason for the TF's being there, this is boosted by Prowl citing the Autobot species encounter protocol.

all-in-all i thought it was great, i'm not overly fussed about the look of the next issue, it almost seems to be regressing after building up so much, however there seem to be good things on the horizon.

i also wish they'd stop putting the Beast Wars previews in...

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Prowl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 06:12 PM   #140
optimusskids
Primus

UK

I meant which particular model jet and tank