Prowl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 08:11 PM   #223
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Prowl1984
just outta curiosity, whats going on with issue 5? it's way overdue

It's probably intentional drawing out of suspense which we should all appreciate. Like the way nothing's happened in the past five issues.

Remember, they're not Pat Lee.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 08:58 PM   #224
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

You trying to give up smoking or something?

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 09:08 PM   #225
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
You trying to give up smoking or something?
And failing miserably. The plan is four months today, funnily enough. A switch to lights has just doubled the money I spend. I think i'll just have to go cold turkey come the day

Ohhhh, I was just being told off. Erm, sorry. My site update's copped the worst of it, if it's any consolation, as an intended review of "Day of the Daleks" currently consists of giant text saying "Pertwee was a ****". Still, one bitchy comment's not bad. Right? Right?

I didn't really notice Infiltration #5 was that overdue... Most comics seem to shift to a sort-of five/six weekly schedule sooner or later

EDIT: Sar's snoring sounds like the phone. Is that fair cause for a smothering?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 12:31 PM   #226
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
And failing miserably. The plan is four months today, funnily enough. A switch to lights has just doubled the money I spend. I think i'll just have to go cold turkey come the day

Take up reading The Art of War instead, guarenteed to give you exciting brain cancer instead of dull old lung cancer.

Quote:
an intended review of "Day of the Daleks" currently consists of giant text saying "Pertwee was a ****". Still, one bitchy comment's not bad. Right? Right?

People who hate Day of the Daleks deserve no love.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 12:58 AM   #227
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Issue #5 is due out on 31st May.

Old 2006-06-02, 06:10 AM   #228
ironhide_lives

Dallas, Texas, U.S.A

Decent ish. Maybe the weakest in this series thus far, but still decent. The best part was the re-emergance of Megatron and what he did to Skywarp & Blitzwing, which was freakin' greatness. Other than that, #5 was basically just a set up for the big finale in #6, which I believe is being released next wednesday. All in all I have to give this one 6 out of 10.
How many of you were able to get your hands on the Ironhide alternate? Sadly for me some "bozo" beat me to it and the other two variants as well.

"The incessant laughter alone, echoing through dark steek corridors, is enough to make one doubt the very exsitence of insanity." --Description of The Joker from Batman: Knightfall

(Transformers related? Nope. But it's still a cool sig and it could be applied to Galvatron. )
ironhide_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 03:06 PM   #229
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Okay, here we go.

Shortest. Read. Ever.

I went in with more of a keen eye, more with the kid gloves off, because after five issues and giving the pacing of the story the benefit of the doubt, things should happen.

Things didn't.

I mean, I was liking the story as I was reading it, but was caught surprised that the issue ended so quickly. No major revelations. Short sequences of action, mostly involving trapped humans and some Megs action. This issue was lacking, to say the least.

It just seems like this story is stuck in quicksand, waiting for #6 to come so they can really have things happen. I have no doubt issue #6 will be a great one, because Furman has been purposely pulling his punches it would seem.

The positives? Artwork very good, and as I said, what was actually in the issue wasn't too bad.

Those who say Brad Mick dragged on and on during the DW ongoing title with Sunstorm and find this series pacing adequate are lying. They should have the guts to step up and admit that Simon is dragging his feet here.

Infiltration makes a very good four-issue story. The six-issue format is really stretching this sucker out.

I give issue #5 a "C". Hoping for more but got less.

Last edited by Commander Shockwav; 2006-06-02 at 03:08 PM.
Commander Shockwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 05:29 PM   #230
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Bought #5 about an hour and half ago and just read it now, along with GI Joe V TFS #3. Perhaps I read the latter so this would look better than it is but nevertheless and this maybe a little premature as I've just read it Commander Shockwav took the words right out of my mouth "Shortest. Read. Ever." The ending was surprising in regards to I couldn't believe that was the ending. When I saw "to be concluded", I was somewhat shocked. Even if I didn't read the 4-page preview it would still have felt short.

Having said that, I liked what I saw, there just wasn't enough of it. Dreading the last issue to be honest. I still can't believe we're getting another supercharged Starscream story. I'd rather Unicron than that and with the big arrival of the almighty saviour; the last issue could be complete thrash especially when considering the wrap-up endings Dreamwave gave us.

-Alex???
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 05:50 PM   #231
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Those who say Brad Mick dragged on and on during the DW ongoing title with Sunstorm and find this series pacing adequate are lying.
No, because part of audience reaction to pacing is whether they think the story's crap -- I don't appreciate three issues of fighting the random new threat du jour (Sunstorm) and it being discarded, for instance.

Your statement's only true if every reader likes the same things.

Old 2006-06-02, 06:21 PM   #232
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
No, because part of audience reaction to pacing is whether they think the story's crap -- I don't appreciate three issues of fighting the random new threat du jour (Sunstorm) and it being discarded, for instance.

Your statement's only true if every reader likes the same things.

For the sake of others, I will paste my reply to you on the other boards so others may jump in:

Allow me to refresh your memory of the events that happened aside from Sunstorm in the first five issues + preview of the DW ongoing for comparison with Infiltration so far:

-WreckGar rebuilds Megatron and furnishes him with an army
-The Ark is destroyed as Ratchet and Brawn sacrifice it to escape the clutches of Bruticus
-Back on Cybertron, the Autobots are in the process of reclaiming and rebuilding Cybertron, with Prime in stasis; Prowl and Ironhide try to train new recruits, Magnus falters as a governmental head
-The revelation that Jetfire and Omega came to Earth together in search of the Ark is made and how he dealt with Scourge
-Elsewhere on Earth, Warpath and Bumper recover Jazz and his unit from a lake, but are apprehended by Marissa Faireborn and the Earth Defense Force
-A cloning lab belonging to Shockwave is discovered
-A strange smelting pool is discovered on Earth, the origins of which are shrouded in mystery

And the list goes on. Notice no mention of Sunstorm in the above. Add to this list the Sunstorm battles, Jetfire and the other Autobots attempt to solve the myster, and thats a lot of things happening. Good things? Well, thats a matter of taste. All the above happened in five issues, not even the sixth final issue.

The argument here is not whether you like the contents of the DW ongoing or not, as that is a matter of taste. What I'm saying is that it is ridiculous to say that the Sunstorm saga dragged on and Infiltration does not.

Four issues as a TPB make Infiltration a very good read. Six issues with month long intervals make Infiltration drawn out and mediocre.

Old 2006-06-02, 07:19 PM   #233
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Since TPB's standard seems to be built out of 6 monthly comics--I think it's be a great idea for IDW to give us DOUBLE ISSUES every month (perhaps at a higher pricepoint). That way every 3 months they could do a TPB and stories such as Infiltration wouldn't seem so drawn out.

Think about it for a second--we're get FOUR full story arcs every year. IDW is able to produce more money making TPBs. Less complaint about drawn out stories. With more issues, character development has an OPPORTUNITY to be les and less of a negative issue.

It's a win-win situation for everybody. What do you think?

Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Ford DeceptiFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 09:54 PM   #234
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
Since TPB's standard seems to be built out of 6 monthly comics--I think it's be a great idea for IDW to give us DOUBLE ISSUES every month (perhaps at a higher pricepoint). That way every 3 months they could do a TPB and stories such as Infiltration wouldn't seem so drawn out.

Think about it for a second--we're get FOUR full story arcs every year. IDW is able to produce more money making TPBs. Less complaint about drawn out stories. With more issues, character development has an OPPORTUNITY to be les and less of a negative issue.

It's a win-win situation for everybody. What do you think?
That would be great if IDW staff members were willing to work into the late hours of the night, have their wives yell at them, and possible broken marriages.

Seriously though, the success of double issues every month would depend upon if the artists like E.J. could produce that fast, and produce well without a sacrifice in quality. Fans, particularly TF fans, can smell a rush job a mile away.

Old 2006-06-02, 09:59 PM   #235
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Quote:

Fans, particularly TF fans, can smell a rush job a mile away.
I can still smell the Last Autobot

-Alex???
Old 2006-06-03, 01:53 AM   #236
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
That would be great if IDW staff members were willing to work into the late hours of the night, have their wives yell at them, and possible broken marriages.
I'm cool with that actually. Hard work never killed anyone--well except a hamster I had as a kid who NEVER stopped using her little exercise wheel. Totally vain creature actually. Worked out more than I do in fact. And since when do wives NOT yell at their husbands. Transfans would be doing them a favor, but giving them amo to yell about--to keep the rants fresh. Also, we shouldn't assume they are all married. Maybe IDW employs a lot of gay guys. Gay = no wife--thus the problem is solved. And broken marriages--pffft--60% of marriages end anyway. Personally, it would be kind of funny to hear about a woman filing for divorce. "Ma'am, who killed your marriage?" ..."Megatron". LOL

Quote:
Seriously though, the success of double issues every month would depend upon if the artists like E.J. could produce that fast, and produce well without a sacrifice in quality. Fans, particularly TF fans, can smell a rush job a mile away.
Could they possibly hire a new artist or two? Seems to me that even though it's a 32 page comic--we're lucky to get 20 pages of actual comic. Hire an intern or 10? EJ could just slap his name to the drawing. Hell, my boss takes credit for my work all of time *grin*

Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Ford DeceptiFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-03, 03:48 AM   #237
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Shockwav: the first five issues + preview of the DW ongoing
Or we could do something resembling a fair comparison and summarise the preview + issues of the first Dreamwave story arc to see print. Even that's based on picking up the story a couple of years into a version of cartoon continuity, rather than having a setup arc.

But anyway...

#0:
- TF:TM rehash.
- Wreck-Gar is building things for Megatron.
#1:
- Starscream attacks Autobots and rounds up Decepticons.
- Prime being out of commission, Cybertron stands still and troops are sent to Earth.
- Sunstorm, Shockwave's pet project, arrives.
- Sunstorm fight. (Crashes the Autobot shuttle and takes out Bruticus.)
- Meanwhile, things are stalled back on Cybertron.
- Starscream's Brigade rehash.
- Talk about Sunstorm. Fight. Omega Supreme arrives.
- Sunstorm fight.
- Meanwhile, things are stalled back on Cybertron.
- Megatron now has some clones on Junk.
- Sunstorm fight. (Apparently taken down, but nooo... he'll be back next issue.)
- There's an old TF shuttle/base in Alaska.

The best DW story arc by far, to be sure. A toy repaint shows up, there's a protracted fight, and some exposition around it -- specifically, Shockwave was building an expendable defence force, and there's something stockpiled on Earth. I'll lay you reasonable odds that it was advance preparation for Unicron, with outposts being built across the galaxy. Shockwave knows Unicron is coming because he captured Scourge.

Basically, my complaint (and those of some other people, I think) is that if it ends up at Unicron, nothing's happened. It's the same story told in the movie, at the end of the original comic, in Armada, in the Armada/Energon comics et al... slight differences in route don't help. Having Unicron turn out to be connected to the Quintessons, or the Quintessons pulling the strings of the council in War Within doesn't help. It's closed and circular, with the Transformers always less important in the scheme of things.

And in specific: Sunstorm didn't go anywhere, didn't change the status quo, didn't do anything except blow Jetfire up. Build-up can be justified provided the ending is there.

From the issues that've arrived so far...

- Introduce most of the human characters.
- The Decepticons are tracking a device containing evidence of their plans on Earth.
- Ratchet goes AWOL and ends up rescuing the humans with the device.
- Runabout and Runamuck pursue Ratchet. Fight. Ultimately being driven off by the Autobots.
- The 'salesman' turns up dead, linking in humans looking to recover TF tech.
- The Decepticons have already lain waste to other worlds in this new continuity. These Autobots are just a taskforce whilst the rest fight on other fronts.
- Failing to get most of the Autobots involved, Ratchet & Bumblebee head out to collect evidence.
- The Decepticons wipe out all traces of their activity.
- The humans discover the Decepticons have been covertly taking and killing ranking officials.
- Autobot and Decepticon units clash. Fight. Megatron arrives to investigate Starscream's treachery.

Parallel to this we learn that Cybertron was rendered uninhabitable centuries ago, in events that forced factions to unite and address a wipeout threat. And it wasn't Unicron. This is partly why the Decepticons are stripping other planets for resources.

Quote:
Ford: Less complaint about drawn out stories.
They're responding pretty directly... some people want fewer humans, we're getting Stormbringer. People want variety and different directions, we got Beast Wars and are getting Hearts of Steel. People want self-contained stories, and we're getting one-shots.

I could see 1-2 and 3-4 working as bimonthly 48 page books. Certainly a lot more used to trade paperbacks myself...

Quote:
Ford: EJ could just slap his name to the drawing.
This seems to be what Dreamengine (the Lee brothers' new company) actually do -- Pat does layouts, then others draw the art, ink it and do backgrounds. Judging by Iron Man, it doesn't lead to very polished work.

And on another note (by Matrix):

Old 2006-06-03, 04:44 AM   #238
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Lightbulb

Quote:
Denyer
Basically, my complaint (and those of some other people, I think) is that if it ends up at Unicron, nothing's happened. It's the same story told in the movie, at the end of the original comic, in Armada, in the Armada/Energon comics et al... slight differences in route don't help. Having Unicron turn out to be connected to the Quintessons, or the Quintessons pulling the strings of the council in War Within doesn't help. It's closed and circular, with the Transformers always less important in the scheme of things.
I would say Unicron has become the deus ex machina of Transformers, but he was one of those to begin with.

It's a neat concept; it's just used too much.

What I think would make a neat serial is a focus on a small group of characters reacting to seemingly random battles/nefarious schemes. It'd be truer to the whole 'great big massive conflict with no end' concept and still be fun to follow. I suppose what I'm thinking of would be closest to multiple one-shot stories following the same character/characters. That would be fun since there wouldn't have to be an overarching plot that leads to Unicron

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-03, 04:51 AM   #239
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
I don't think it's even that anymore -- particularly the way the Ultimate Guide and Armada/Energon/etc stress it as a dualsim with Primus. In the original fiction, they were two sides of a fight, but things weren't as clear-cut as good vs. evil -- Primus plays chess with lives an awful lot.

The smaller scale stuff is exactly what I'm hoping for from the one-offs... Shockwave's might be focused on intrigue or the grand scheme of things, but Nightbeat's should be a bit more character-focused.

I was thinking about Transformers sans human characters earlier, having just read the core Infinite Crisis issues: apart from one bit with the Flash, there wasn't any real human interest in it at all -- worlds being destroyed, cities in carnage, but no sense of the characters in costume being connected. Then it wrapped up, and the heroes of the piece go off to refind their inner balance, or whatever... supposedly millions of deaths, all glossed over. Just a tedious exercise in whose power trumps whose.

I'd really rather Transformers avoided that -- the Autobots assigned to Earth are fighting for its inhabitants. They aren't, on the whole, very friendly towards them, but Ratchet balances this out.

Old 2006-06-03, 07:44 PM   #240
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay

Ditto for Starscream, a pity that the super charged, super devious Starscream wasn't even neat to begin with. I just can't believe the first arc we get involves Starscream being a prick and furthermore becoming super powered. Underbase was about as interesting as an exclamation mark without its dot. Matrix powered Starscream really didn't add much (And could be argued took away from) G2.

The whole devious Starscream malarkey worked well, for the most part, in War Within but even by that stage it had been done to death. It was done to death by the end of season 1 of the G1 cartoon. I'm bloody sick of Starscream, I'm sick of Starscream toys and I bloody well hope he's the "Ape concept design" in the movie, for giggles and poops.

I loved the chap when I was a wee pole but now I'd rather see a matrix focused Grimlock Vs Unicron story.

-Alex???

Last edited by Aardvark; 2006-06-03 at 07:46 PM.