How much does Terry being injured give the title to United?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Terry going down means:

Poll ended at Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:52 am

United have won right now.
33%
Chelsea still have a chance.
33%
Chelsea can make it up all the same.
33%
United and chelsea both completely flop. HA
No votes

Total votes: 3

redman prime

How much does Terry being injured give the title to United?

Post by redman prime »

You've got four choices, and debate, please

hasn't been a football discussion in a while, and no sports in general...

come on!
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Well, United were top before terry was injured by roughly the same point margin as before.

Besides it's not as if Terry is the perfect defender. He gets taken appart regulary by quality (The world cup demostrated this) but because he lacks pace it's hardly ever shown or highlighted as the other defenders cover for him.

Much like how the media keep bring up how awesome it would be if Beckham came back for england dispite the fact he has been mostly swaying between crap and average (odd free kick aside) for 4 years now.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's more his leadership they'll miss - it's always been amusing to me that Chelsea's two most consistent players from the past two seasons were pre-Romanovitch.

That said, Chelsea have more money and depth than United. However, all three of Chelsea's big summer signings are struggling badly, and Drogba is their only "spark" player so far this year (and I'm skeptical he'll be able to keep up this form all year). Manchester United have Ronaldo and Rooney, but lack cover. Larsson will be interesting and probably be worth a few points, but he's not going to be able to produce miracles week-in week-out. If either of the Rs get hobbled for any period of time, United could be in trouble.

I'm really torn, though. Part of me wants Man Utd to win because they're Not Chelsea, but part of me wants Chelsea to win because otherwise we spend all of next season listing to Jose moaning about how he had two players with injuries (try managing Fulham, tosser) and thus can't have possibly won.

One thing's for sure, though. Over the next six months we're going to see Mourinho properly tested for the first time - he inherited a very good side and largely added a bit of discipline, and he's been helped by his main rivals - Arsenal imploded nicely near the start of his first year, and it took Fergie and Wenger a season to work out that bitching with each other was pointless.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I of course want Man U to win the league, but I think Chelsea have just as much chance of winning it now as before Terry was injured. Drogba is keeping them in the running at the moment, if he gets injured theyre well and truly screwed. But you know, things happen, things change, and if I say "Man U are gonna win" Chelsea might just happen to claw it back and get it.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

I hope I dont jinx this now.

I am quietly confident that we can have the League this year. We've had a few slips, but what has made it interesting is the fact that Chelsea have had theirs the same time as ours, but worse.

Terry. Hmm.

It'd be better if Drogba the Deap Sea Diver was out injured. The ball has found the net more times than his bum has found the floor this season which is a shocker. If he were out, then theyd be screwed.

Now. To the RPG.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak

It'd be better if Drogba the Deap Sea Diver was out injured.

That right there is why i love this site.

I don't get to hear the day in-day out bullsh*t that you all do, but still, John Terry captain's england now, for god's sake.

I'd have thought that he would've been huge.

I'm still pulling for Leeds, and they are floundering in the championship..... poor yorkshire, pinning it's hopes to sheffield.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by redman prime
I don't get to hear the day in-day out bullsh*t that you all do, but still, John Terry captain's england now, for god's sake.

Take yourself here- http://www.football365.com/ I visit daily, really in-depth site with plenty of humour.

As for missing one player making all the difference, look at Liverpool fall apart with Stevie G...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
It's more his leadership they'll miss - it's always been amusing to me that Chelsea's two most consistent players from the past two seasons were pre-Romanovitch.

Actually virtually all the players who ahve done well at Chelsea are pre-mourniho. In fact I'd frankly say all of Mourniho's non essien buy's have been s##t. Cech, Terry, Gallas, Lampard, Robin, Gudjohnsen, Makalele have been the cause of Mourhino's success than any of the 200 million worth of buy's he has made himself.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, Terry's back in training...

Chelsea are probably really going to regret selling Eidur and Duff, I reckon.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Well, Terry's back in training...

Chelsea are probably really going to regret selling Eidur and Duff, I reckon.

I totally agree there. I dudpected the Terry thing was blown p by Chelsea so that:

a) They have a excuse without looking weak and
b) Lure their rivals into a false sense of Chelsea being weak so they either lower their game or become over confident.

I think my suspicions are confirmed as Terry is training only a day after Chelsea claimed it would be 6 weeks without him. That's a magically drastic reduction in injury time
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

WE ARE AWESOME

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 205605.stm

WE WILL GET STUFFED BY RELEGATION FODDER NEXT GAME :(
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

We are s##t.

I don't care how many goals he scores, Flamini is terrible. Plus we should never drop Fabregas again.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You know your finishing sucks when Phil Jagielka keeps a clean sheet...
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

i watched that chelsea- fulham match, nice to see an american grab a point for fulham. good old sloppy rainy pitch.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

We have awesome Americans. Bless Brian McBride and his freakishly powerful neck, he's saved us a few times this season, and Boca's a legend.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I've met mcbride a few times, he went to uni in my hometown

great guy.

Boca is my favorite american playing now
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Slightly related, there should be a common football thread.

Tom, do you know more of Niemi's injury than this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 223711.stm
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Not much more than it's nowhere near as bad as it looks, but he's been laid off for long enough that we've had to recall Tony "****" Warner (why him instead of Crossley God only knows...).

On the positive side for Fulham, Zat Knight's broken his jaw. Things are looking up...
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Not much more than it's nowhere near as bad as it looks, but he's been laid off for long enough that we've had to recall Tony "****" Warner (why him instead of Crossley God only knows...).
*Sniggers*
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

so it appears Fulham signed another american, Clint Dempsey, the only goal scorer for America at the WC.

IF he can get a visa..........