Shockwave reissue on the horizon?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Shockwave reissue on the horizon?

Post by -Predaking- »

My brother bought Optimus Prime reissue from Takara, the box version. In it you can see Shockwave inside a box with packaging very similar to Megatron's first reissue and with number 49 on it. I think it's highly likely that it will be reissued since it's not a G1 box. I own a MIB Shockwave that cost me $$$ but I'd love to get a MISB version if I can. What do you all think? Can anybody provide more information on this rumor?
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

I thought Hasbro/Takara has lost the rights to the Shockwave mould? :confused:
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

If they have it, I'm gonna buy three of them. One to keep MISB, one to display, and one to play with. He is my favorite decepticon leader. I would kill in cold blood for him. I'd even sacrifice my victim the way that the ancient Greeks sacrificed to their gods. That's how much I want that mold. :D
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Galvatron84
I thought Hasbro/Takara has lost the rights to the Shockwave mould? :confused:

Yup, I'm pretty sure they have. And his original Japanese box, as Laserwave, looked pretty much like the first MEgatron reissue, with a '49' on it. If it was a forthcoming reissue, it probably wouldn't have the 49 on it.
Autoprime720
Protoform

Post by Autoprime720 »

how exactly does a company lose the rights to their own character? i guess it isnt their own?
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Copyrights are only valid for a certain number of years, which varies depending on the media type. You also have to take out several copyrights for each media type that your creation is published in. So to keep a copyright on Shockwave, Hasbro would have had to take out one for the toy, one for comics, one for cartoons, etc. Since they probably figured that they'd not be making any more of the Shockwave toy at some point, they probably didn't renew the copyright on it.k

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Like all the 1984-85 Transformers, it was an existing toy repainted. Shockwave was one of the more curious examples, as the mould had I believe changed hands with regard to copyright several times already, and unlike most of the others wasn't owned by Takara, who partnered Hasbro [well, sort of...] with Transformers. In '85, the popularity of Transformers was so high that Hasbro needed to put some other figures out alongside the remnants of the Diaclones before their own new figures were ready in 1986... so, as well as several permuations of already-issued figs [Hoist, Smokescreen, Red Alert etc.] a number of transforming robots were licensed - Jetfire, the Deluxe Insecticons, the Deluxe Vehicles, Shockwave, Omega Supreme... the parentage of the Shockwave mould was so messed up even then that Radioshack were able to put out a grey version named Galactic Man totally legally while Hasbro were still trying to get Shockwave on the shelves. On top of this, Hasbro's license could well havce been quite short-term, to avoid having to pay Bandai etc. massive royalties over an extended period of time.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Don't count on seeing Roadbuster, Whirl, Omega Supreme, Jetfire, and Sky Lynx reissues in the near future either.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
Don't count on seeing Roadbuster, Whirl, Omega Supreme, Jetfire, and Sky Lynx reissues in the near future either.

Can understand Jetfire, but why not the others? Same reason as Shckwave?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The Takara "collectors series" reissues all have book pages in - throughout the entire series they've been illustrating all the toys released in the original line.

Laserwave is actually the only example of the "Fight! Super Robot Lifeform: Transformer" series that wasn't manufactured by Takara. Woot. :)

Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx were both Toy Box designs. I can't remember who made the Deluxe Insecticons and Vehicles. All of the reissues upto now have been Takara instigated, and I can't see them instigating the reissue of toys they didn't make.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

That's too bad.
Raiden
Protoform

Post by Raiden »

So what's the chance of Shockwave being reissued? Good, or next to nil?
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

hmm, given the evidence.

Nil.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
the parentage of the Shockwave mould was so messed up even then that Radioshack were able to put out a grey version named Galactic Man totally legally while Hasbro were still trying to get Shockwave on the shelves. On top of this, Hasbro's license could well havce been quite short-term, to avoid having to pay Bandai etc. massive royalties over an extended period of time.

Affectionatly known as Shackwave ;)
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

I just want to know how hasbro keeps loosing the rights to this stuff... they loose Bluestreaks name.. how could they let that happen.. now they have no rights to the mold.. its bad enough that alot of the molds were broken... well thats what I;ve heard/read...and if thats true then I would tell Hasbro then make another one DAMNIT!!! :mad:
One shall stand, One shall fall...
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

It's because Hasbro's stupid, adn they suck. Never forget that.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
It's because Hasbro's stupid, adn they suck. Never forget that.

Or because bugger-all people bought most of the figures when the names were last used, Transformers fans were bored of Transformers and Hasbro had no way of knowing the names would ever be of use to them. It costs money to renew copyrights. It's not a problem; we all know Bluestreak is called Bluestreak, and if you get pissed off about what's written on a piss-poor box, well, frankly that's your problem.

I'm 99% the Deluxe Insecticons were Bandai... and 90% Roadbuster [who I just broke... yay...] and Whirl were. I can't find a stamp of any sort on RB though, it might have been on the accessories, or they could always have been modified for the Transformers...

Jetfire 426, it's not Hasbro's fault they don't have the rights to the non-Hasbro/Takara moulds. We're actually quite lucky they didn't sell tons of them off when fan apathy killed G2 in 1995/96. And we're quite lucky we got Shockwave, Jetfire etc. in the first place.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Regarding the broken/lost moulds thing, and forgive if I'm being stupid here, but couldn't Hasbro just make another one by using an existing toy?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It would cost a fortune to reverse-engineer a mould. I doubt the reissue sales have justified that expendditure yet.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
It would cost a fortune to reverse-engineer a mould. I doubt the reissue sales have justified that expendditure yet.
Wouldn't simply be a case of putting something around the toys parts to get the shapes? I know I'm stupid. I'll leave now...
Dinobot - Code Of Hero