Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ozz
Protoform

Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie

Post by Ozz »

Stupid question:

Does '2' in the title of this movie mean that it was based on the second part of the game, or there actually was a first movie?
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Insectiod
Protoform

Post by Insectiod »

Its based on the arcade game street fighter II and yes its the first movie, then folloed by street figter II V animated series and then Street Fighter Alpha The Movie, which is a completly different story.

Insecticons

Leader Name : Shrapnel
Function: Electronic Warfare
Motto: "Control electricity and you control the world. "

Name: Bombshell
Function: Psychological Warfare
Motto: "The mind is my playpen. "

Name: Kickback
Function: Espionage
Motto: "Friend is another word for fool. "
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

It was a pretty cool movie. A good introduction to anime to me, back when everybody calle dit all manga regardless.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

The Street Fighter II V series acts as a prequel to the movie, though it has a few gaps in continuity.

Still a pretty cool series. Funny hearing Optimus Prime/Convoy as the voice of Guile.

The Alpha movie was okay, nothing too great. Sakura got real annoying, like I knew she would. And Ryu had no character or personality.

Street Fighter II: the movie sort of crammed in a lot of characters but they kind of made it work. Kind of.

I'm just glad I got to see my favorite character, Blanka, in action. He doesn't appear in any other Street Fighter anime, sadly.
Reverend Shrapnel

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

SFII:The Movie also had one hell of a soundtrack if I remember rightly, having Alice In Chains and Silverchair on it. Was it different in the States though? At the end of mine it's listed as the 'European Soundtrack'...:glance:

I thought the animation in the movie was pretty neat, specially in the opening bout between Ryu and Sagat, and then later on Zangief, but I tell ya, there's no doubting Zangief's gender is there?
I've only just realised my sig's been horribly misspelled for about a year or two. Aren't you happy you read that? While you're here, erm, impeach Nixon!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Yeah, America got the same bitchen soundtrack.

The Japanese soundtrack sort of sucks, though. Just a lot of slow, rhythmic tunes and nothing really pulse-pounding.
Blues Clues
Protoform

Post by Blues Clues »

After looking through about 15 stores for the SF2 movie, I found out that it hasn't been released here. :mad:

Downloaded it the other day, while I wait for it to come out on DVD (i'll be really pissed off if it doesn't). I saw it years ago but couldn't really remember much. Such an awesome movie! Waaay better than the PoS Van Damme one. It really showed just how much of a champion Ryu was (he was always my favourite character). Great animantion (except for a few facial expressions), especially in all the Ryu fight scenes and quite a good plot.

They have, however, released SF Alpha on DVD here. Is it worth getting? Never really followed the SF Alpha/Zero games. Is it based on them or still mostly on the original characters?

Welcome to the TFArchive!
Here you'll be treated with dignity and respect ...
Now strip naked and get on the probulator!
Amarant Odinson
Protoform

Post by Amarant Odinson »

Street Fighter Alpha is loosely based on the the video game series of the same name. It's not bad. But, it's one of those thing to pick up only if you're a hardcore Street Fighter fan. Besides, you actually get to see Akuma!!! :D
WRESTLING:
In Canada, its a Tradition... in Mexico, its a Religion.... in Japan, its a Sport... in America.... Its a Joke.

Blues Clues
Protoform

Post by Blues Clues »

Originally posted by Amarant Odinson
Besides, you actually get to see Akuma!!! :D

Just noticed in SF2, Akuma is sitting against a wall in a scene just before the Dhalsim-E.Honda fight!

Amarant Odinson
Protoform

Thta's true too. But at least you get to hear him talk in SFA
WRESTLING:
In Canada, its a Tradition... in Mexico, its a Religion.... in Japan, its a Sport... in America.... Its a Joke.

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Akuma also features heavily in the background in street fighter 2 v
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Amarant Odinson
Street Fighter Alpha is loosely based on the the video game series of the same name. It's not bad. But, it's one of those thing to pick up only if you're a hardcore Street Fighter fan. Besides, you actually get to see Akuma!!! :D

Yeah, but you don't get to see him fight.

Instead Ryu fights that mad scientist guy. Kind of a let down. Especially right as Ryu and Akuma leap at eachother to battle the movie ends.

It also doesn't do as "good" a job fiting in all the characters like SFII the movie did. Most of the characters just apear in group shots really briefly during the tournament (and they wasted Vega! VEGA!).
Amarant Odinson
Protoform

Yeah, that always pissed me off. I wanted to see Akuma kick some ass damn it. Oh well.
WRESTLING:

Blues Clues
Protoform

Post by Blues Clues »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Instead Ryu fights that mad scientist guy.

He reminded me of the Mole man in Sam and Max.

Got round to seeing Alpha. Was very disappointing! The animation, plot and character development were all lacking compared to SF2.

DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Blues Clues
He reminded me of the Mole man in Sam and Max.

Got round to seeing Alpha. Was very disappointing! The animation, plot and character development were all lacking compared to SF2.

Well, there is an excuse for the difference in animation quality. SFII the movie was an actual theatrical release while SF0 the movie was really an OVA release in Japan. There's a world of difference between OVA and feature film animation quality.

But there's no excuse for the writing.

What *I'd* like to see?

A Marvel vs Capcom/Street Fighter vs X-Men/Marvel vs Street Fighter anime. That would rule.