Also featured at the Allspark.
http://www.allspark.com/modules.php?nam ... =0&thold=0

And TFormers:
http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=4053

And 2005:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/thread64892.html
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto, Ontario – January 4, 2005 - Dreamwave Productions announced today that after eight years in the comics industry, four of which they were self-published, they will be ceasing operations.

Established in 1996 by brothers Pat and Roger Lee, Dreamwave infused a stagnant comic book market with art and design that effortlessly combined the then dominant “American” art style with the newly emerging Japanese “Manga” art style. Since then, the company had grown to become one of the comic book industry’s premiere publishers, producing a variety of original titles.

In 2002, Dreamwave firmly established itself in the comic industry as a force to be reckoned with when it launched an all-new Transformers comic’s line. The return of the 80’s icons shattered industry sales records, skyrocketing the book to the number one sales slot for an impressive six months. The Toronto-based company’s other successful licenses included Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Duel Masters from Japan, as well as properties like Devil May Cry and Mega Man from video game giant Capcom Entertainment.

President of Dreamwave Productions, Pat Lee stated “there are a number of reasons for my decision to close Dreamwave”, citing that “the shrinking comic book market combined with a weak U.S. dollar and unsustainable monetary commitments has finally proven to be too financially taxing.”

As the only Canadian independent comics publisher, Dreamwave Productions has struggled in recent years to maintain its status within a relentlessly shrinking comic book market. Unfortunately, consistently diminishing sales totals over the last several years have taken their toll on the small publisher and made it impossible to continue.

The specific details for closure have not yet been released but Lee assures both fans and clients alike that “although this is the end of Dreamwave as a comics publisher, I will still be penciling a number of new exciting projects in conjunction with other studios in the upcoming years.”

- 30 -

PR & Marketing Department
Dreamwave Productions
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Established in 1996 by brothers Pat and Roger Lee, Dreamwave infused a stagnant comic book market with art and design that effortlessly combined the then dominant “American” art style with the newly emerging Japanese “Manga” art style.
Even in death they're tossing off into the wind... not that this is death, just a quick name change for legal purposes.

Just tell us what you're doing for the creators you contracted, you bastards.
Prime Maximus
Protoform

Post by Prime Maximus »

I am definately very sadden by these turn of events. I was so excited over some of the changes and the direction they were headed in as far as the ongoing was concerned. Its a story with no real ending. So many of us will be definately left hanging.

It just sucks but the whole time in the back of my mind, I knew this couldn't be forever but hey, I am one who appreciates what I did have in the last few years. Hopefully, something good can still come out of all this.
Kain
Protoform

Post by Kain »

yeah that is to bad, i did enjoy the run. i just wish we could've had those issues with Prime before the company went bust.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Originally posted by Prime Maximus
definately left hanging.

It just sucks but the whole time in the back of my mind, I knew this couldn't be forever but hey,

Yeah, but THIS quick? I mean, it's like getting punched in the balls and not seeing it coming. I knew the end would someday come, just not this abruptly. :(
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Incidentally, Ben has noted that the release came unsigned from an AOL account... I doubt it's a hoax though, frankly. If it is one, it's a superb imitation of the DW press-release style.
Prime Maximus
Protoform

Post by Prime Maximus »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Yeah, but THIS quick? I mean, it's like getting punched in the balls and not seeing it coming. I knew the end would someday come, just not this abruptly. :(

I mean that is true. It just came out of nowhere, not one ounce of a clue that lead us to this point. One day, there was a rumor, one day, its the end of the line my valentine.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Caps lock haters please move to the next thread,this might result a bit of eye soaring:

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FUKCING FINANSIAL PROBLEMS!!! I WANT THE DAMN ENERGON COMIC TO FINISH!!!!!!!!

Caps lock thread ended......

Now,lets hope some of those ludicrus numbers they given are actually true, cause i really want some other company to continue TF comics making(i don't mind about the G1 or Cybertron continuety, only to keep the Energon one till the end).
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Now,lets hope some of those ludicrus numbers they given are actually true, cause i really want some other company to continue TF comics making(i don't mind about the G1 or Cybertron continuety, only to keep the Energon one till the end). [/B]

Well, if it's any consolation to you, the TF comic most likely to survive will be Energon, then Cybertron, considering its Hasbro's current property.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Its all a big pile o'bollocks (pardon my french.) Hasn't the company just changed its name to DreamEngine or something (read it in another thred on this topic on this site.)

Shame that there was no mention of the licences and where they were going and like many I was anticipating a titanic battle between Prime and Megatron both in G1 and WWV3, and Energon was getting good with Milne's are giving the TF's a gritty look.

Anyway I'm not gonna be wearing black in mourning just yet.:wtf:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Prime Maximus
It just came out of nowhere, not one ounce of a clue that lead us to this point.
Only if you've been living in a box for a while. They've been cancelling titles left, right and centre; numerous creators have reported not being paid for submitted work; the DW press office attempted to cover up statements by creators who are in the process of suing them, etc.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

The best part is when Pat Lee says "don't worry, guys, I will just continue as a freelance penciller, so I can still haunt you with my overblown style, ha ha."

Thank you, and what about your other artists people actually care about?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Prime Maximus
Protoform

Post by Prime Maximus »

Originally posted by Denyer
Only if you've been living in a box for a while. They've been cancelling titles left, right and centre; numerous creators have reported not being paid for submitted work; the DW press office attempted to cover up statements by creators who are in the process of suing them, etc.

I had kept up with the issues they were having but I thought it would work itself out or they would finish out the story but they just suddenly folded, end of story, bye bye, thanks for playing. That's what got me all shocked.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Not really shocked, just wondering what will happen to TF comics and some of the creators at DW.
Denyer

@ PM

Post by Denyer »

Nah, when some of the people who have been start posting rumours about a company's demise, we perk up and listen.
Originally posted by Nevermore
The best part is when Pat Lee says "don't worry, guys, I will just continue as a freelance penciller, so I can still haunt you with my overblown style, ha ha."
Indeed, that's just classic... I'm sure they won't hold anything against him, and will rush out and buy more faux-manga wankery with money they don't have because the artist screwed them out of contracted renumeration.
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Wonder if Image will take on some of the TF comic lines with this happening.
They looked to be doing a pretty good job on the new GI Joe comics (I only read the first 10 issues so please don't flame me if they turned out rubbish) and the GI Joe vs Transformers series looked better than the Dreamwave version from what I saw (Again, I only bought the first 4 issues of vol 1)
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Well the comics themselves, to me, were good. I would have hoped we would have gotten a little more out of Dreamwave (maybe just to the end of Energon) but alas it didn't happen.

Just lets hope the company that gets the license next doesn't screw up.
Prime Maximus
Protoform

Post by Prime Maximus »

You know, if at least there was an end to the story, I would be ok, still saddened but more accepting of current events but the fact that now the story is left hanging, one they've been building up for the last 2-3 years. Its not fair.

I mean I do feel for everyone at the company who lost their jobs because of this and its a shame really that it just turned out this way for many of us, employees and readers alike.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I said it in the other thread, but I was really enjoying the on-going.

I guess this marks the beginning of the end for the 80's nostalgia craze.

Next up: the Power Rangers revival!
Lyinheart

Post by Lyinheart »

Just to check the validity, I went to the Dreamwave website. Well, actually, I attempted to go on the website. Seems it is no longer there. I even checked the Yahoo search to make sure I had the right name. Sure enough, I did. The link was simply not there.

But in order to help, I have the G1 ending.

Arcee awakens to her true destiny and slaughters the Autobots, after being inspired by the Quintesson's Fembots. The fave-faced creatures, revelling in their victory, have a light chuckle.

Megatron gets stabbed in the back by Starscream and Shockwave. Then they turn on each other. The other Decepticons are captured by the EDC and disassembled. The true technology of AI is discovered, but with a few "laws" put in place to protect humanity.

Then one day, the lead scientist is thrown out of a window and killed. Though it is ruled a suicide, one rogue policeman believes that one of the new "robots" is responsible. Of course that is impossible; that would violate one of the robotic laws...