Transformers: Dark Cybertron discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Transformers: Dark Cybertron discussion

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: Dark Cybertron Volume 1 contains Dark Cybetron #1, More Than Meets The Eye #23-25 and Robots In Disguise #23-24.

-- ziggy

----

The Transformers title-spanning crossover begins here.

Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 three-page preview @ Full Metal Hero

Full preview due sometime closer to the release date. Stay tuned.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Sure, it's only a 3-page preview and all, but... mmmm, I dunno.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Yeah... I'm not sure either. Wait and see, I suppose.

Also, only page 2 and they've retconned something (originally Galvatron sent the ship into the anomaly on his own, now it's on Nova's order). Think that's a record.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Well spotted Unicron.

That was always made to be a thing for Galvatron - he sacrificed the crew to follow his lure to the Darkness. I think. May need to check, but I know what you're saying is right.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I still don't understand the allure that the Dead Universe has for writers. It turned out badly the first two times we visited it. Why in the world are they making it three? It was better off dead and buried, IMO.
Red Dave Prime wrote:That was always made to be a thing for Galvatron - he sacrificed the crew to follow his lure to the Darkness. I think. May need to check, but I know what you're saying is right.
You're absolutely right. Galvatron flew them into the anomaly was because he lusted for the power of the Darkness that called out to him. His spotlight made a big deal about how all the people aboard the Ark (all ten of them, if that tiny cockpit is any indication...) were dead by his hands.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Don't worry, in 2015 Barber will write a 20 issue mini-series explaining the difference.

SPOILER! (select to read)
It's down to a gestalt.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Don't be silly.
It's a Titan fuelled by that time-travel ore.
inflatable dalek

John Barber: Answering all the questions you never knew you had.

As long as you don't mind them all having one of three answers.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Mm. It's a very forgivable retcon. Galvatron doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who'd remember a reasonable discussion if there was a chance he could confabulate things into some mad, personal quest. He's a robot Calvin.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

... And here's the rest of the preview, once again courtesy of Full Metal Hero.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Why does Shockwave sound like a cackling loon?

He's about this far from saying "Muhahahahaa My evil plan nears fruition!" He sounds like Stan Lee is writing him.

Perhaps because I've not been reading RID or I missed something...but that panel with Cyclonus (back to us) in Shockwave's lab came out of nowhere. No idea what's going on with Waspinator and Metroplex (if its Metroplex - and not, ooh Brian the nameless Titan). I am sure all will become clear.

So basically, Dark Cybertron is Shockwave's big experiment goes awry, wackiness ensues.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Skyquake87 wrote:Perhaps because I've not been reading RID or I missed something...but that panel with Cyclonus (back to us) in Shockwave's lab came out of nowhere.
That's not Cyclonus. That's Shockwave in his FOC toy body, which he has had for a while in RID.
Wreck and Rule!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Hard to get a grip on anything just yet - this is all just laying the table.
Why does Shockwave sound like a cackling loon?

He's about this far from saying "Muhahahahaa My evil plan nears fruition!" He sounds like Stan Lee is writing him.
From this it looks like his evil plan is to undo the war entirely. That's... remarkably nice of him. If someone built up a stack of quasi-magical bobbins to undo World War One and World War Two then I suppose the only ethical thing would be to let that person get on with it. Though I guess it would mean we would all die.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Skyquake87 wrote:
Perhaps because I've not been reading RID or I missed something...but that panel with Cyclonus (back to us) in Shockwave's lab came out of nowhere. No idea what's going on with Waspinator and Metroplex (if its Metroplex - and not, ooh Brian the nameless Titan). I am sure all will become clear.
Bit mean to pick on it if you havent been following the preludes bit at least. Waspinator and the metro titan (dont think its plex but it might be brian) have all been explained already.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They're trying to bring in readers, so it needs some background. Seems okay to me in terms of setup though.
Skyquake87 wrote: that panel with Cyclonus (back to us) in Shockwave's lab came out of nowhere.
AFAICT that's FoC Shockwave, with the wings...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Fair enough,just didn't look like shockers :) i think i would prefer the not metroplex titans to be coloured differently (they were in those annual flashback scenes) as i am too dim to be able to tell them apart.

I gave up on rid around the time prowl got turned into devastator.the book jumped the shark for me at that point and thats pretty much coloured my judgement,sadly.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Yeah, I've been buying the RID trades, and really don't feel the urge to keep going. Dark Cybertron needs to provide the impetus for a MASSIVE improvement in RID, or I'm out and following MTMTE only. Sad that Prowl, Wheeljack and Starscream have all had good moments, but have ultimately been wasted. :(
Wreck and Rule!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my speculation [or at least one of them] was correct.
Nova's back and it's his plan all along
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Terome

Post by Terome »

The thread title hasn't been spoilered yet so I'll do this:
Seems like a perfectly functional introduction. It felt a lot like my experience of watching Prime - it's underwhelming but if I imagine myself being the target audience age then I can see it possibly being the greatest thing ever. I got a real Sonic The Comic feeling off the set-up. It's supposed to be packed in with a toy, right? I think it's a good fit - being dropped feet-first into all this madness after getting a Skids for Christmas would probably be a great feeling.

I liked Shockwave getting kind of giddy. He's been working very hard at this for a long time so I think he's earned the right to get an attack of the vapours. Starscream was on good form but that 'Starscream The First' business was kind of against the grain.

The art is really impressive too. I really like the layouts - they've been kind of perfunctory of late so it is nice to see some style put into them.

All in all, while I don't find stories like this to be exactly to my tastes, this is very competently put together and a canny piece of marketing.

Oh and hey, there's Kup.
inflatable dalek

OUT NOW AND SPOILEREISED PEEPs.

Agred with Terome pretty much completely, a set up issue that's mainly about explaining the rather convoluted backstory to anyone who has joined up for the crossover, which is exactly what it needs to be.

It was still nice and readable though, with lots of nice little moments (Rodimus' reaction to Magnus asking if Pax is taking over being a highlight). Whilst I'm still not remotely excited about the Dead Universe, at least Shockwave was actually interesting in his glee and servitude.

I did however think the writing for Starscream was terrible, there's all the subtlety gone out the window there.