[BW,BM] [BW bits removed from General movie chat]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
onslaughtforever
Protoform

And what, precisely, is wrong with Beast Wars?

Post by onslaughtforever »

Beast wars was a terrible thing for Transformers! I mean what the heck? Optimus Primal? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

The idea of having Prime be a gorilla was lame. Lets get real here. The cartoon (CG) was terrible. It wasn't worth my time to watch such lame stuff. I saw maybe 30 seconds on TV in passing.

You have the G1 transformers, then they go and make Beast Wars. Why change it? Why not keep it the same as it was?

Beast wars deserves no respect!
Halfshell

Re: And what, precisely, is wrong with Beast Wars?

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by onslaughtforever
Beast wars was a terrible thing for Transformers! I mean what the heck? Optimus Primal? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

The idea of having Prime be a gorilla was lame. Lets get real here. The cartoon (CG) was terrible. It wasn't worth my time to watch such lame stuff. I saw maybe 30 seconds on TV in passing.

You have the G1 transformers, then they go and make Beast Wars. Why change it? Why not keep it the same as it was?

It pisses on G1. It has a plot. It has actual characters.

You're dismissing a program you admit to having seen no more than 30 seconds of. You've just lost all credibility in the eyes of most members of the board. Seriously.

Why change it? Oh, maybe because the world has moved on.

Why not keep it the same as it was? Ever think the G1 cartoon was canned for a reason? By your logic, the new Movie shouldn't even exist.

Beast Wars isn't just brilliant by TF standards, it's genuinely good by actual TV standards.

I'm not even going to justify your twoddle of a post any further.
Ackula

Re: And what, precisely, is wrong with Beast Wars?

Post by Ackula »

This is without a doubt the most ignorant thing I've seen posted in the past few months. I just lost any inkling of respect I may have had for you dear sir.

Beast Wars was an Emmy winning show that deserves higher praise than most any other TF tv show that has been aired to date. Hands down, no question.

Sounds like you are being ..what was it you called people earlier...a NEOCON or something else like that in which no sense was made. Yeah..for sure we should never change anything, and the fact that a show has great acting, writing, CGI, and direction should all just be pissed upon because Prime was not a truck..yeah right. :wtf:
onslaughtforever
Protoform

HA!! Are you kidding me? MOVED ON? WHAT?? The mere idea of an alien robot becoming a gorilla is funny at best.

The 2007 Movie captured the esence of transformers! Prime was right on. Peter Cullen didn't even voice Optimus Primal!! How can Beast Wars be good with Cullen not playing Primal??

Good for TV standards?? Are you for real?? Give me a break. Lets get real here. Beast Wars was a slight step up from the Pretender series, expect that the animals didn't open up to reveal a robot inside.

How can a loyal transformer fan be a fan of Beast Wars? Liking Beast Wars is slapping the face of the G1 series. Yes, the G1 cartoon series was bad. SO WHAT?? It's memory lane. By today's standards, no one would watch them. But it was made in the mid 80's. No one would watch the Brady Bunch today, but in re-runs, a great deal of people still watch the show.

If Beast Wars was so good, then why did they not have Optimus Primal in the 2007 movie?? Prime is not Prime unless he is a semi voiced by Peter Cullen. Yes, Frank Welcker should have voiced Megatron, but, he is said to have not sounded that good anymore. Too old or something.

To think a knowing Transformers fan likes Beats Wars is confusing to me. On principal, Beast Wars is not truely transformers was people should know them.
onslaughtforever
Protoform

I could care less if something wins an Emmy. So what? NYPD Blue was supposed to be the best cop show and won a ton of Emmy's. The acting was overdone and just an over-rated show.

Homicide (life on the street) NBC 1993-1999 Friday nights 9pm CDT was the best cop show of all time, and only won a few Emmy's compared to NYPD Blue. If Homicide never won an Emmy, it would still be the best show of all time.

Point is, awards mean nothing.

Apples to organges. Being anoyed that Prime is a gorilla is not the same as being anoyed Prime in the 2007 movie did not look exactly like he did in the G1 series and 86 movie. My point stands.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So a winning an Emmy isn't a sign of its quality. Then as an example of one of the best shows ever you pick one that won Emmies.

If you really wanted to fight this you should have pointed out that BW won a Emmy for it's animation, not the quality of the scripts. You'd still be more wrong than the Flat Earth Society mind...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

On principle alone I should not even argue my points any farther with you because it is clear that you are a mindless git. However I must point out that Peter Cullen voiced Prime for a very small amount of time in contrast to Gary Chalk who has been the voice of Prime throughout numerous series for the past 11 years.

It really should not confuse you that a Transformer fan likes Beast Wars, considering it is a Transformers series, held in the highest regards by most fans for its storyline and acting skills. Not to mention that it was a direct continuation of the G1 storyline that you seem to so foolishly cling to.

I would further argue some points with you but the sheer illiteracy of your previous post makes it very hard to determine what exactly you are trying to convey. It is most unfortunate that Babel Fish does not translate from idiot.
inflatable dalek

Oh, and for the record: Things in Transformers The Unanimated Movie that debuted in Beast Wars:

The term Spark to describe a Transformers lifeforce (Did Allspark come from Wars or Machines? Well, either way Optimus was a Monkey in both so it counts...)

The "Scan a potential alt mode, become it" thing (compared to the original cartoon where they have to be physicaly taken apart and rebuilt).

Protoforms.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The mere idea of an alien robot becoming a gorilla is funny at best.
I think Apeface and Beastbox would disagree with you.

And synthskin beast modes are far more sensible than the notion of Dinobots ever were.
If Beast Wars was so good, then why did they not have Optimus Primal in the 2007 movie??
Er... same reason Mr Spock wasn't in it?
Prime is not Prime unless he is a semi voiced by Peter Cullen.

Yeah! And Bumblebee isn't Bumblebee unless he's a VW. And Megatron should be a gun. Ironhide should be red, too.

For somebody who was whining about people condemning the movie for daring to be different, you're guilty of shocking hypocrisy.

There is no such thing as "real Transformers."

There were animals in the very first year's worth of toys. Hiding in realistic constructs was introduced in the Pretenders. If Beast Wars isn't "real Transformers" then neither are Steeljaw, the Headmasters or Krok.

Do not criticise things you have not seen.

Oh, and don't use random caps and excessive exclamation marks. You type like an 8 year old on a sugar rush.
inflatable dalek

Oh, and Optimus Prime was a semi truck in Beast Wars*, albeit a mute one so Peter Cullen didn't get to speak for him. Optimus Primal is a different character who just choose a name in honour of his hero (like parents calling their kids Kylie). It's even possible that Primal is a rank akin to Captain...

And there's a whole season's worth of original series episodes that don't have Peter Cullen in are those not real Transformers either?

*alright, not strictly true as he appears before they get Earth modes, but the robot mode looks amazingly like it turns into a semi so...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
And there's a whole season's worth of original series episodes that don't have Peter Cullen in are those not real Transformers either?

I doubt he voiced Convoy in the Japanese translations, either. So, if that's the case, up until now, Japan has never EVAH had real Transformers.

That makes me sad inside. :(
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon
I doubt he voiced Convoy in the Japanese translations, either. So, if that's the case, up until now, Japan has never EVAH had real Transformers.

That makes me sad inside. :(

Wasn't The Rebirth only subbed? That makes it the only real japanese Transformers story then.

And for what it's worth, when reading the comics I generally imagine English accents for everyone, so that's not real either.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I think Rebirth was a Laserdisc only episode (bare minimum, it wasn't shown in most of Japan). So it's got the canonical status of a DVD extra.

... wait... did they get Peter Cullen in for the audio versions of the Ladybird stories?

My whole belief structure will fall apart if I find out that those weren't real Transformers...
inflatable dalek

Though he didn't read them Cullen did play the little "Turn the page now" jingle on a xylophone.
Markus
Protoform

Post by Markus »

wow, I am awash in a sea of pwnage.

Beast Wars was a good show, and I didn't discover it until recently. While growing up, I was a G1 fan, and still am today, and didn't watch Beast Wars then because I thought it was sacraligious.

However, after watching some episodes on youtube, I dare say that Beast Wars is actually a superior story than G1.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Peter Cullen didn't even voice Optimus Primal!! How can Beast Wars be good with Cullen not playing Primal??
Probably the same way Citizen Kane is good without starring Peter Cullen.
in re-runs, a great deal of people still watch the show.
A lot of people watch Friends or Fox News.
To think a knowing Transformers fan likes Beats Wars is confusing to me.
Mmm. Like keyboard layout.
Originally posted by Brend
did they get Peter Cullen in for the audio versions of the Ladybird stories?
Don't think so, but I don't have any of the tapes any more. Anyone have MP3 versions of them?
inflatable dalek

As I recall it was a very sombre sounding American who did the voices. Probably an ex-pat living over here so he'll be in Star Wars somewhere...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
Don't think so, but I don't have any of the tapes any more. Anyone have MP3 versions of them?

Not that I know of, but wouldn't that be an awesome thing to host?
onslaughtforever
Protoform

Perhaps I did not convey point properly.

The animation was not that good in Beats Wars. For its time, perhaps, but the CG back then was not well done. I would rather watch a cartoon with old school animation then sloppy CG.

Yes, awards mean nothing. George C Scott even said so and he REFUSED to go to the Oscars even when he won for Patton.

The 2007 movie was well done. I am not saying that because Prime was a gorrila in BW that he should have been the exact same in the 2007 movie. Bay wanted this to be as realistic as possibe. It was that. I call the new look for some of the transformers and imrpovement. Megatron could not be a gun because that would not have been realistic in a live action movie. Besides, they did something they have never done. SHOW WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE BEFORE THEY CAME TO EARTH.

In the orginal series, Megatron looked the same in robot mode before he came to earth and when he got to earth, same with prime. A classic goof which is amusing.

All I am saying is the idea of BW is not as good as the orginal idea or the 2007 movie rendition.

And for the record Primal was NOT A MONKEY!! He was a GORILLA! People seem to call apes monkeys. that is like calling a human a monkey.
onslaughtforever
Protoform

If Beast Wars was so good as you all claim, then why did they not make a BW live action movie??

The english accents were a good touch. Rachet was voiced well.

Peter Cullen is the only "real" voice of Prime. Can you imagine if he did not voice Prime? I can bet the movie would not have captured the majic as well if not for Peter Cullen. No one can DENY that!!