[G.I. JOE] FULL FORCE!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

[G.I. JOE] FULL FORCE!

Post by Cliffjumper »

First lot of GI Joe impulse buys turned up today - except the AWE-Striker is Action Force. Woo! Bit of a lucky fluke, as the Action Force comic is likely to determine recruitment. Also got Barbecue (who's backpack just will not stay on) and Mainframe. Zartan's a bit outnumbered until the random bunch of recent-ish two-packs I also bought turn up.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Surely Zartan can just pretend to be one of the Joes in the interim?
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

The're awesomely addictive aren't they? I went through major six months of impulse buying of joes, lots of hits and misses on eBay, several figures turning up sans their elasticated groins. But great fun.

Got some classics, like the sniper in the wooly beany, Longshot? (Probably an X-Man memory) and also picked up an Awe Striker and some kind of beige desert half track, which appeared to have a kitchen in the back.

Some of my favourite characters like Beachead and Tunnel Rat just had cool figures, I also had a future guy Sci-Fi or somethign he was alser sniper, his outfit was pure Robocop, always wanted the Hovercraft and the Oil Rig defence platform (TAKE THAT BRITISH PETROLEUM!).

I also had a really cool guy in fatigues a jungle hat and a shotgun, it wasn't Recondo in his battle kayak, one of the later ones.

Ah memories, I still have the German chemical weapons guy Airtight? His weapon was crap. But his outfit was cool and I used to look out for him in the comics.

Ah nostalgia has flooded my sinuses, GO JOE! I still have some of the newer edition two packs, with Snake Eyes and Stormshadow etc, the heads seem a bit small and the legs too long, but hey a Beach Head isa Beach Head

"LIIIIIIIIIIIUUUEETENAAANT FALCON FRONT AND CENTRE!"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, the two-pack ones do look a bit weird, but I won ten of the packs in a job lot, so that'll do as a starter, I can 'upgrade' to better figures at a later point (plus IIRC they all have multiple weapons. The Action Force comic guys like Shipwreck, Bazooka, Airtight, Quick-Kick and Lady Jaye are high up on the list too... It's quite cheap at about a fiver for a complete figure. Always wanted the Joe artic buggy thing (Snowcat, I think) for some reason too.

Only thing is I think Cobra are going to be massively outnumbered because half of their figures are dreadful, and army building will probably be expensive and tedious (I like the Crimson Guard, but spaffing a few quid a time on figures I'd already own... eh), as job lots of the same figure don't seem to come up too much.

Only real disappointment is they still don't seem to have done a decent Baroness - the old one looks too much like a drag artist, while the 2-pack one was anorexic. Might go for the new film one as a cheap place-holder.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote: Only real disappointment is they still don't seem to have done a decent Baroness - the old one looks too much like a drag artist, while the 2-pack one was anorexic. Might go for the new film one as a cheap place-holder.
Miller would certainly be my cheap place holder.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

If they aren't horribly expensive, BATs might make for good army building figures. At least, the ones that came out in the 80s, or the 80s-ish ones they put out a couple of years ago. The BAT IIs that came out about the time Snake Eyes and the Day-Glo ninjas showed up aren't terrible, but you'll want to paint all of their accessory packs so they aren't whatever day-glo color Hasbro thought would get the kids buying them.

Sad to say, I think the BATs were the best thing to come out of G.I. Joe. Of course, that could just be me.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I got my Rattler! ****ing excellent toy. Huge, compatible with hardly any figures, made out of the cheapest plastic imaginable (there's already a stress mark on one of the rear wheels), great stuff.
Sades

Post by Sades »

So you're probably going to hate it in about six months?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Though I generally had no interest in Action Force/GI Joe The Action Force (that give-away comic was a bit odd wasn't it? "Lets team up Duke!" "OK Flint. Weren't we working for the same group before anyway though?" "Don't be silly") that tiger painted airplane advertised on the back of the TF comic was one that strangely fascinated me as a kid.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I had (I think) all of Tiger Force, plus the vehicles.

All your (third) favourite Joes! But with awesome tiger style uniforms!

How is that not uberkewl?
inflatable dalek

Wild Bill was one of them wasn't he?

I don't think we had any Action Force toys as a kid. Never went into soldier stuff at all really.
Pissin' Poonani
Protoform

Post by Pissin' Poonani »

Used to love Action Force as a kid. My personal favourites toy-wise were Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, my Crimson Guardsman and Zartan. My favourite vehicle was this really cool blue Cobra quad-bike, but a friend of mine had the AF F-15. That thing was ****ing huge.

Me and my brother still have a few bits left in the loft, but most are broken or incomplete (or horrendously yellowed, like the Snow Cat). Storm Shadow got mauled by one of our dogs which left him with the skin texture of Deadpool, which in retrospect is actually pretty cool.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We had a few Joes, but I don't remember specifics. My memories of being a kid is choppy at best at this point. I remember a few of the vehicles, but only after we'd had them for years and they were pretty well played with, ie. missing cockpit covers and whatnot.

The toys I remember best right now are the Bucky O'Hare toys. Don't ask me why I started recalling Bucky O'Hare when trying to recall GI Joe.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:So you're probably going to hate it in about six months?
Oh yes - I can see why the chap I bought it off had kept it MISB. I'm not even 100% sure the undercarriage will actually support the thing with two figures in it.

This is the precise one I own - http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/08/rattler/ - seems to be the original with minor retouches. I genuinely love the thing, albeit for largely nostalgic reasons (had a battered one as a kid... with no landing gear). I don't remember the turret being set up so the gunner can only face forward, but that's probably me. I do remember thinking the tail could be detached and used as a glider, but apparently it's not meant to be.

Together with the two-packs I've a nice little army building, and am planning to go Action Force-mental on the 28th when I get paid.

Fun fact: In the UK comics, Wild Bill came from Hull.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Wild Bill was one of them wasn't he?
Apparently not (thanks to some doublechecking on yojoe.com). They redecoed his helicopter, but with a different pilot. They redid the Snowcat too. Plus Flint, Duke, Roadblock... awh, there were ones I didn't have. :-/

Once upon a time that news would have made me go out and buy them all. Now... ah well. :) At least I had some.

I was asked what I wanted for Christmas by my uncle one year whilst living abroad. I furnished the family with a list of Tiger Forcey Joe stuff that they could pick from, as I didn't have any of it. Then a big box turned up at Christmas with the entire content of the list in it. That makes up for it all.

I remember there were three or four of us on the same street who just used to amalgamate our collections to maximise the awesome. I had Tiger Force, somebody else had some chunky green APC that may have been Rolling Thunder, and another lad had the huge tall light brown headquarters unit.

It was awesome. :)
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote: Fun fact: In the UK comics, Wild Bill came from Hull.
Now I didn't know that, I thought it was just a case of them having a couple of UK based Joes in Flint and Lady Jay and just bringing in guys over from the American series "On assignment" as needed. So did they really edit any mentions of Wild Bill being American in the reprints?

Looking into it vaguely recently, I didn't realise how all over the place the American content in the Action Force comic was, I'm guessing the random order was down to the way the toys were released over here? Pretty much makes it impossible to view a single giant UK/US Joe/Force continuity, unlike the UK TF stuff.

EDIT:

The Snowcat in tiger colours? Awesome.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek

That's one versatile bit of kit. Shame they didn't think to rename the driver as well. Tigerbite actually sounds pretty cool.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It was only the vehicles that got renamed. Because everbody else was the exact same character, but, like, drafted into this awesome new Tiger-themed unit.

Don't question it. I didn't.
inflatable dalek

They could have given them awesome new tiger themed code names as well. Even if I can't come up with anything better than replacing the first word with "Tiger" that's still the same level of imagination considered good enough for the vehicles.