Hennessy
Protoform

Spotlight Cliffjumper Preview

Post by Hennessy »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So far so better than AHM.
opaquereptilian

Where are the Care Bears/Wiggles/Teletubbies?

Post by opaquereptilian »

It's so cute I want to hurl. I can only hope on the next few pages after the preview someone gets gutted. My luck, even if someone does parish, the Care Bear Stare might revive them.

But what I know, I like(d) AHM :D
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I like what I'm seeing here so far. Though, there's not much to say about it. Then again, I tend to like these filler sort of tales.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

opaquereptilian wrote:It's so cute I want to hurl. I can only hope on the next few pages after the preview someone gets gutted. My luck, even if someone does parish, the Care Bear Stare might revive them.

But what I know, I like(d) AHM :D
So what you're saying is that so long as there's carnage and violence, plot and character can go hang?

Or that, because the world in question is peaceful and brightly coloured, it's automatically populated by children's tv characters and therefore rubbish?

The first page is a portent of things to come. The other preview pages are what's known as "a flashback to happier times." It's a common storytelling device - the things employed by writers who are able to do more than big explosions and who use them to bridge the gaps between the cynical crowd-pleasing set pieces.

^^ no offence to you personally meant in any of that. I've just left my tact and diplomacy in my other jeans.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Halfshell wrote:The first page is a portent of things to come. The other preview pages are what's known as "a flashback to happier times." It's a common storytelling device - the things employed by writers who are able to do more than big explosions and who use them to bridge the gaps between the cynical crowd-pleasing set pieces.
Nevertheless (if we had a cute smilie, there'd be several in here, 'kay?)

Nice covers. Darn it, it'll cost me a pretty penny for all three. I do like the of conceit of Cliffjumper jumping off a cliff...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Halfshell wrote:So far so better than AHM.
Then again, so's

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Do you write your own material? Or do you contract out to Shane O'Mac?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You take that back.

If it helps, most of my posts at the moment are being ghostwritten by the result of watching DtDD S1-6 back to back. Everything's more amusing voiced by David Swift or Susannah Doyle. Although S6 still kind of sucks.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I just don't get the vest.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Denyer wrote:Although S6 still kind of sucks.
Mmm. The soap:jokes ration skewed quite horribly for the last series, if memory serves. Still only sucks comparitive to the previous stuff though. Not in a Red Dwarf VIII way where it's just flat-out awful in general.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Poor DtDD is still better than 90-odd percent of shows at their best, after all. Been a while since I saw it, but I concur that it did feel more like a big long soppy season finale the whole way through.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My computer's working to slowly at the moment to wait the 12 hours it'll take those pages to load up. This is McCarthy again isn't it? Regardless of any potential cuteness factor (which doesn't bother me at all if it works in context) I'm more worried it'll be as throwaway and forgettable as his other two Spotlights, even if they were better than AHM by being 11 issues shorter.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's not that it's not funny in some senses, just depressing and harsh after spending several years building up a rapport between the audience and characters...

Spotlight looks alright. The difference between Blurr / this preview and AHM is like the gulf between Ramjet and TF / New Avengers -- okay, none of it's unadulterated classic material, but it's like different writers were handling the spotlights.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Apart from the love of macho macho mechs.

haven't seen DTDD since it used to pop up on Paramount Comedy in the early 00's. For a show that was always very much of the weeks it was broadcast it still seemed to stand up very well though.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Cliffjumper wrote:I just don't get the vest.
Im still taking that as a TOS Star Trek reference. 100 quatloos on 'Jumper!*

I find the quasi pop-art style interesting. spotlights are a great place to experiment with visual styles (kup was another good one), and always produce interesting results. looking forward to it.

*'Gamesters of Triskelon', if anyone is still wondering
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

For some reason, I get the feeling this story is going to turn out the same way as the Marvel one where Dogfight, Backstreet and Override encountered those vampire creatures. I think it was a Matrix Quest story.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Springer85 - surely the great TF writers do not rehash plots like that? :halo:
Terome

Post by Terome »

Oh! That looks quite nice actually. A very Doctor Who idea of translation, but a good start.

How many times has a Transformer been shown to actually land a damn spacecraft? The insurance premiums on Cybertron must be enormous.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

borg72 wrote:*'Gamesters of Triskelon', if anyone is still wondering
Is it bad that I thought it was from that Simpsons episode where they send Homer into space?

I do agree, though - while the 'main' books have maintained a certain 'house style', the Spotlights have been a lot more varied and interesting, stylistically. It's not always good, but unlike the main books they're rarely boring.