IDW cover contest | UPDATE: final results now in!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

IDW cover contest | UPDATE: final results now in!

Post by Denyer »

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=18

Lots of threads. Board rather slow, but you have two weeks in which to vote.

Voting index --

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3179

edit:

Round two, voting is only open for one week this time --

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3417

edit:

Pro judging of the third and final round --

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=64966
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Some personal picks:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I have no idea who most of the artists are.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

I like the one with Bombshell-the whole Cerebro shell making others his puppets thing is really clever.
Are the efforts of Slarti and AskShockwave(or anyone else from here) up on the site?
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Don't know most people's real names. You'd have to ask 'em.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Denyer wrote:Don't know most people's real names. You'd have to ask 'em.
You disappoint me I thought you knew everything;)
Im hoping they see this and they can let us know and/or link to their work.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

It saddens me how many fans don't care for what the character they draw is like, just as long as they can put him in a "cool" pose.

For example, anyone drawing Misfire of all 'bots as a hardcore bad*** shooter/killer should seriously re-read the character's profile.

The same line of thinking gave us Devcon in those old 3H BotCon comics, who was also NOTHING like his cartoon self.

Boba Fett Syndrome, essentially.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I like the cover with Nightbeat (or is it Siren) reaching for the human holding a seemingly familiar camera (is it supposed to be Reflector). Very nice.

edit: Oh wait, it is Siren.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Only looked at Denyers links so far, but out of those Cosmos FTW. He's just to cute.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Awesome - you picked me! Mine's the 'Tailgate vs Polar Bears' entry.

There are some great entries, although I agree with Nevermore that a lot of people didn't try to nail the 'character', which considering it's supposed to be for a Spotlight issue, seems daft. That said, I didn't manage to get the 'liberate earth machines' angle in. I went for 'naive heroism in the face of giant bears' instead.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

That bombshell pic rocked!

My true monicker is *gasp* Mark Brady, and I'm in the Crankcase pile.
Word.
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
PlasmaEnergyGod
Protoform

Fan Art

Post by PlasmaEnergyGod »

Hey all. Grant Smith here, #1409 under Spotlight: Misfire. Any critiques & opinions would be great. If you like my work, don't forget to vote. Thanks. F.Y.I.: I did that piece in a day after not drawing for about 3 years. Just a bit of info for anyone who would've liked to know...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Welcome aboard. :)

TBH, I wouldn't have recognised that as Misfire if it weren't for the title.

http://tfu.info/1987/Decepticon/Misfire/misfire.htm
http://ntfa.net/universe/english/index. ... ar=Misfire

Head shapes are almost as important as colour schemes when re-designing TFs.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

PlasmaEnergyGod wrote:Hey all. Grant Smith here, #1409 under Spotlight: Misfire. Any critiques & opinions would be great. If you like my work, don't forget to vote. Thanks. F.Y.I.: I did that piece in a day after not drawing for about 3 years. Just a bit of info for anyone who would've liked to know...
As said before, Misfire is essentially defined as either comedy fodder or "tragic villain" material. He's the epitome of incompetence. Making him look "bada**" essentially means "I have no idea about the character, but I like the look and thus put him into a cool pose."
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Nevermore wrote:As said before, Misfire is essentially defined as either comedy fodder or "tragic villain" material. He's the epitome of incompetence. Making him look "bada**" essentially means "I have no idea about the character, but I like the look and thus put him into a cool pose."

Chap on the forum (Feikki) had a pop about my image not being badass enough, but I guess in the long run, he has a point. I can't help feeling the vast majority of TF readers just want to see cool robots blowing stuff up. Come to think, I can't really think of a spotlight cover (beyond maybe nightbeat) that really 'gets' the character, for that matter.
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
PlasmaEnergyGod
Protoform

Post by PlasmaEnergyGod »

To be honest, I purposely redesigned Misfire's head/helmet, along with hypothetical transformation adjustments (in the vein of what E.J. Su did with Bumblebee for 'Infiltration') to make his physical appearance more streamlined; he converts into a cybertronian jet-fighter - why would he be blocky? I understand being angular, but Misfire was always (to me) a horrible, and somewhat lazy, robot design. He's not physically memorable. When doing the faux cover, I created a story treatment explaining what we see on said cover based roughly on the film version of No Country For Old Men, with Skyfall discovering an even more unique strain of Ore-13 Energon, with Misfire hired by Thundercracker to hunt down & question the ex-Seeker as to why he is on Earth. Misfire would have made a pit stop on Nebulon for some supplies, with Carnivac tagging along out of bordem. The cover ditates we know how the story ends, but the comic story & art would have shown how we got there, with Carnivac on Earth explaining his Pretender shell. Perhaps Misfire would have scanned an F-15 after suceeding in his mission, becoming a fellow seeker. The unique Ore would stabalize Carnivac's experimental Pretender mode while allowing Binary Bonding Tech to inhance.

I already submitted this story into Transformers: Mosaics on the IDW forums, so hopefully I will get to pen & ink it if it gets accepted. Copywritten, of course.

In any case, the colorist would have been given notes to the cover about it being sundown, with the Decepticon Symbol showing up on Misfire's chest, Carnivac's Energo-chains glowing yellow-green, with Skyfall heavily damaged. I know I won't win, but it was all worth a shot. and all in good fun.

- Grant
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Redesigns are fine if people can still identify the character at a glance. Since this was a no-colour competition, probably not the best gamble with some of the more obscure characters...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Misfire's TFU profile really is one of the greatest of the whole damn series. It's just a shame it makes him practically impossible to write into any story without trampling all over it.

That said, I forget how exactly the Marvel profiles are binding for IDW stories. I mean, any claims otherwise would have been totally blown to pieces by Jetfire, if nothing else. Just because Mark Millar's Furman's remounting old riffs left, right and centre doesn't mean it's following the Marvel continuity. I mean, reading the 'new' versions of Ratchet and Bumblebee makes it hard to think otherwise, but there we go.

Yeh, but like Furman, I believe in just recycling the same old stuff. Hey, I didn't compare Takara unfavourably with Bandai, though, so that's kinda new, right?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:That said, I forget how exactly the Marvel profiles are binding for IDW stories.
They're not. In this case, they just happen to be most of the previous characterisation for him (and all readers have to base recognition on.)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:They're not. In this case, they just happen to be most of the previous characterisation for him (and all readers have to base recognition on.)
I dunno, more people have probably seen The Rebirth than read the profile - despite a couple of throwaway lines, he's not really any more inept than, well, any other Decepticon you'd care to mention, even if he comes out with the stupidest line David Wise ever churned out (and there's some solid competition there).

The problem is that his profile simply does not work in any sort of larger narrative - any Decepticon with even a fraction of the ineptitude described wouldn't make it to the front line, let alone be entrusted with any sort of mission.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

martyboy70 wrote:Are the efforts of Slarti and AskShockwave(or anyone else from here) up on the site?
I'm (edit : currently) second in my group ! yayayayayay !! People are actually complimenting my cover ! I'm terribly over-excited... it's actually giving me nightmares.

Well done Housewife2000 BTW.