So, Clay...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

So, Clay...

Post by Cliffjumper »

...I've just bought Alternators Mirage after remembering there was a Transformers GT40 and reading your review thereof. He'd better be good. Or the outcome may be... unpleasant for you.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I can safely vouch for his...life. Assuming the Alt Mirage has no jarring QC issues, he won't disappoint you a tiny bit.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Holds up rather well, I think. Car mode is gorgeous.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It was nice knowing you Clay.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

No killing Clay. He's helpful and a smashingly good guy. Just break a hand or something if you absolutely NEED to do something. ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I was just going to impugne his toy-judging abilities. Why does everyone assume I'd be violent?
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Because of this:
Cliffjumper wrote:He'd better be good. Or the outcome may be... unpleasant for you.
When ever I say things like this, it usually means I'm implying bodily harm on someone. :p
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:I was just going to impugne his toy-judging abilities. Why does everyone assume I'd be violent?
I was just expecting him to be so shamed at inadvertently recommending you a sub standard toy he'd commit ritualistic suicide.

I have to say, I always thought Mirage looked a bit crap myself, but he might be one of those that works better in the flesh than stock photos.

I hope for Clay's sake it is.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Had to re-read my review, and I'd say my opinions are generally more tempered than they used to be, what with me becoming a crotchety old man since then, but Mirage himself holds up well. He's sort of a premium version of the Spychanger design.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ah, Mr Clay, due to the recent pleasant performance of Alternators Mirage, I have decided to let you
SPOILER! (select to read)
live

Nah, triff fig, might just be the best Alternator - hot car mode, less-is-more transformation, neat robot mode. Only two problems - 1) the white line seems to have been applied with Tippex and 2) it doesn't look like much of a Mirage, does it? Bit of a shame they blew Wheeljack earlier in the line, really.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yeah, doesn't even look much like Rodimus either. I believe they could name Mirage "FORD BOT" and call it a day.

In various reviews I've read, most by Ben Yee, it highlights some similarities between G1 Mirage but in all honesty, I believe the guy reads too much in too many things at times. The headsculpt, is, though, a nice updated head to the original toy.

I'm actually tempted to get one for myself [only had Kiss Rodimus] and display it next to the MP figures...
inflatable dalek

Phew, a happy ending for everyone.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It looks an awful lot like Boss to me, and would make a great Alternators Boss if anyone actually knew who Boss was. As it is, he'll do as Mirage, it's just that if he'd been sold as Boss, I don't think anyone would be going "OMFG, Hasblow, he's obviously Mirage".

What're those two black hinged panels on the underside of the car actually for? They don't really seem to do anything... I like the arms, though - best Alternator arms.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Those black panels, that I suppose the instructions neglect on purpose, are supposed to come off at an angle and "clip" with those tabs on the edge of what becomes his chest panel. Essentially what was his car mode front hood clips very loosely on those panels to give some 3D edges on his otherwise flat chest.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Knightdramon wrote:Those black panels, that I suppose the instructions neglect on purpose, are supposed to come off at an angle and "clip" with those tabs on the edge of what becomes his chest panel. Essentially what was his car mode front hood clips very loosely on those panels to give some 3D edges on his otherwise flat chest.
Yeah, it looks like this on Rodimus. Photos of Mirage with the black parts don't show that well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oooh yeh, that looks much better, cheers guys :) I actually pretty much ignored the instructions once I'd got past 'cracking' the car, but couldn't see anything about them afterwards...

Really liking the guy, though it's a shame those rear light bits don't fold away a bit better... They totally ripped the design for the Universe Lambo, though, didn't they?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Cliffjumper wrote: Really liking the guy, though it's a shame those rear light bits don't fold away a bit better... They totally ripped the design for the Universe Lambo, though, didn't they?
I distinctively remember when the first pictures of sunstreaker, prowl and onslaught came out from the club magazine that everybody was saying how sunstreaker rips off classic bumblebee's upper body and alt mirage's lower body.

Mirage\Hot Rod also has the distinction of being the only mould in the history of the line with no die-cast version releases. Convoy got lucky because they had already made the moulds for Black Convoy as a continuation of the Asterisk line, but poor Hot Rod never came out with metal bits. Hence why BT-18 Mirage got released in clear plastic-different enough, colour wise, from the Alt. version and a plausible excuse as to why the clear BT has no metal parts.