Fansproject: Causailty

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Lonewyrm
Protoform

Fansproject: Causailty

Post by Lonewyrm »

http://www.fansproject.com/wordpress/wp ... sailty.png

Fansproject have thrown up a new teaser image, seems to suggest a combiner team built entirely from their figures. Two of them are repaints of Crossfire and Munitioner, the next shadow looks to me like it could be a version of Vortex?
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

Lonewyrm wrote:http://www.fansproject.com/wordpress/wp ... sailty.png

Fansproject have thrown up a new teaser image, seems to suggest a combiner team built entirely from their figures. Two of them are repaints of Crossfire and Munitioner, the next shadow looks to me like it could be a version of Vortex?
Not just repaints if I must go by the art of it, if you look close to Munitioner's lower arms and Explorer's lower legs you notice some mold change. And of course, two completely new heads. Still, this looks very promising but...it leaves the feeling of..."Why did you not do this with the Combaticons?" considering they are reusing the Crossfire X2 molds.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That shuttle redeco is pretty blatantly Fireshot, isn't it? But the Swindle redeco screams Leyland, which sort of makes me wonder if this is supposed to be Battle Gaia?

[EDIT]Actually, no. Growl, anyone? New toys for a bunch of Micromasters? This sort of stuff I could actually see myself getting behind.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry!

Eh, had to say that.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The colours of Shuttleguy look like Whisper (or Nightflight; whichever one's the one with the same colours as Shuttleguy), weirdly. Random 'con combiner to get more mileage out of the expensive moulds? It'd do no harm, certainly.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

More details and stuffs are coming out now. Just check their website.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The Micromasters are very pretty, and I'm curious to see how the (probable) Insecticons turn out. IMO this is a much better use of their talents than trying to make existing, absolutely-nothing-like-G1 toys look like G1, even though it'll probably be less popular with the fanboys.

In spite of the fact that the toys' new heads, robot mode design and colour schemes are all-but-identical to Growl and Fireshot, and in spite of the fact that people connected to Fansproject have said they're not a combiner, some of the TFW crowd are still holding out hope that these are meant to be Battle Gaia.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I'm digging these new guys. Bonus points because the combiner parts seem to be intact on the new versions of the molds. I'll probably end up picking these two up at the very least.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Am I the only one who thinks the Hummer-thing makes a much better Growl than Swindle?
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Darn, I just might have to buy Kickback Backfire and Bombshell Thunderbomb.

Not sure I like Stormshred.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

The next three Causality figures are up. Ninja style Insecticons!

http://www.fansproject.com/?p=643
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

...I'm digging the hell out of Stormshred and Backfire. I'll probably get all three to round out the set, but those two are on my list of things to get.
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

I love that they are using the Insecticons, but that makes me wonder now...if this is a combiner set, why on earth did they add a jet and a humvee?

Though still...an Insecticon combiner team...that is promising in my opinion.
glazios

Post by glazios »

I'm not sure the Insecticons are part of the combiner lineup... I know the numbering makes it seem like they are, but it just wouldn't make much sense to me if they were. :nonono:

I'm not sure what the hell FansProejct are doing with this Causality thing... It looks like they plan to release seven or eight figures under a single banner, but they're cetainly going about it in a damn confusing fashion.

Also, it strikes me that if they're releasing a complete set of TFs of their own, they're taking a bit of a risk - HasTak might have justifiable cause to clamp down on them...
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

glazios wrote:I'm not sure the Insecticons are part of the combiner lineup... I know the numbering makes it seem like they are, but it just wouldn't make much sense to me if they were. :nonono:

I'm not sure what the hell FansProejct are doing with this Causality thing... It looks like they plan to release seven or eight figures under a single banner, but they're cetainly going about it in a damn confusing fashion.

Also, it strikes me that if they're releasing a complete set of TFs of their own, they're taking a bit of a risk - HasTak might have justifiable cause to clamp down on them...
Well...if it's a set of eight figures, three Insecticons leaves room for five bots so..that may be the combiner team and the Insecticons are just extra's.

Also as for Fansproject making their own set, HasTak can't do much about it, else it would have to clamp down on basically every company that makes custom Transformers (Think Perfect Effect, Justitoys, TFC Toys and others.) And since they avoid copyright with changing the names and all as well as making the toys look similar yet different, HasTak doesn't have much ground to clamp down on.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mmm. Fun fact: neither Hasbro or Takara invented transforming robots.
Hotdog Divebomb

Post by Hotdog Divebomb »

Transforming robots were in fact invented by me in 1762. That was a hard year. It took me 32 bottles of WKD Blue but eventually I got a mild buzz on which carried me through.

But really it was the potato I'd smoked earlier that year which helped make the intuitive leap between "I have a toy car and a toy robot, this isn't a very efficient use of space" and "I'll make them the same toy."

And it's a damn good thing I made that leap, too. Otherwise you'd all be talking about Airfix kits right now. Believe me, it's true. I've hopped dimensions. This is an Airfix board in the NoTransformingRobotsVerse.

"But", I hear you cry, "your story makes no sense!" And you'd be right. But we can explain away the fact that I am not universally credited with the invention of Transforming Robots through one simple fact: I was too smart for it. Yep, you can't actually manufacture anything if you know how to spell.

Which is why my time travel experiments went against the rules of causality.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:Mmm. Fun fact: neither Hasbro or Takara invented transforming robots.
They did, however, invent the Combaticons, Insecticons, Arcee, Springer, etc... Until the day that Hasbro stops making Transformers of their own, selling unlicensed products that use the image of characters they own is illegal. Using different names and going "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" means absolutely nothing, especially since the figures are marketed as Transformers characters to Transformers fans.

Incidentally, this is why random third-party companies can get away with producing decals of Calvin pissing on a Ford logo -- because Bill Watterson refuses to licence any legitimate merchandise, the unlicensed stuff isn't competing with anything legit so it's deemed to be OK. But companies like Fansproject are producing transforming robots designed to resemble official Transformers characters, marketing them to Transformers fans who purchase them and use them to represent those Transformers characters in their collections and selling them on the same websites that sell official Hasbro product. In principle it's no different than if some company started selling bootleg Star Wars toys through Walmart.

Whether Hasbro would be able to actually shut down production is a hard question to answer, since most of the third-party stuff is probably produced in random Chinese guys' garages and it'd be hard to track them down. It would be laughably easy to shut down most of the distribution channels, though -- either by slapping sites like BBTS with an injunction to get them to stop selling the stuff, or just by playing hardball and refusing to do business with anyone who sells FansProject stuff or other KOs. The fact that they don't shouldn't be taken as a sign that Hasbro's legal team is impotent and the third-party producers are invincible. It's a sign that Hasbro doesn't give a shit because the third-party companies' profits are so tiny that they're insignificant to a massive corporation, and going after them isn't worth the trouble.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to say that third-party manufacturers are evil or that Hasbro should shut them down. But if they really wanted to, they could.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

And Transformers is just one of the many product lines that Hasbro carries. They have so many others to take care of and to gain profit.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Hotdog Divebomb wrote:Transforming robots were in fact invented by me in 1762. That was a hard year. It took me 32 bottles of WKD Blue but eventually I got a mild buzz on which carried me through.

But really it was the potato I'd smoked earlier that year which helped make the intuitive leap between "I have a toy car and a toy robot, this isn't a very efficient use of space" and "I'll make them the same toy."

And it's a damn good thing I made that leap, too. Otherwise you'd all be talking about Airfix kits right now. Believe me, it's true. I've hopped dimensions. This is an Airfix board in the NoTransformingRobotsVerse.

"But", I hear you cry, "your story makes no sense!" And you'd be right. But we can explain away the fact that I am not universally credited with the invention of Transforming Robots through one simple fact: I was too smart for it. Yep, you can't actually manufacture anything if you know how to spell.

Which is why my time travel experiments went against the rules of causality.
Bullcrap. Potatoes weren't invented until 1967. FACT.
Wreck and Rule!