Collectors' Club exclusives Punch/Counterpunch and Shattered Glass Cyclonus

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

Collectors' Club exclusives Punch/Counterpunch and Shattered Glass Cyclonus

Post by Nevermore »

First announced at BotCon.

The next Collectors' Club exclusive toy (of the "available at the Club store" variety, like Astrotrain, Airazor, the Seacons and Nightbeat) will be a new version of the Autobot double spy Punch/Counterpunch. And what better mold is there to emulate the G1 toy's ability to "transform" from one robot body into another one than the Universe Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mold?

There are no photos of the toy itself yet, but the cover of the latest Collectors' Club magazine features artwork that depicts what the toy is supposed to look like.
http://www.transformersclub.com/_images/28_cover.jpg

Personally, I wonder what they're going to to about the fists.

UPDATE

Punch/Counterpunch head concept art revealed @ transformersclub.com. Details how the head will transform.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Probably the best toy to use for the character, but it's still hardly the most convincing disguise, is it? I'm guessing he still has another face on the back of his own.

Points for the attempt, though, if not the intent. If anything it just underlines how ridiculous a concept the character was, that not even modern engineering will be able to make it convincing.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

the only interesting part for me is the apparently double-transforming gun, which seems to form from the engine mount. Of course, that could just be artistic licence on the part of the artist.

i'm of the opinion they wont't bother doing anything about the fists, or slightly remold them to have a 'central' thumb. or just put two right or two left fists on there.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

You can easily switch the fists manually.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

The exclusive will probably look something like this.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

borg72 wrote:the only interesting part for me is the apparently double-transforming gun, which seems to form from the engine mount. Of course, that could just be artistic licence on the part of the artist.
That was the first thing I noticed in that art. I'm interested to see how that would work when I get home, if it works at all. Not really sure if it would even look good w/ 'Streaker and 'Swipe, but it's worth a shot...
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Halfshell wrote:Probably the best toy to use for the character, but it's still hardly the most convincing disguise, is it? I'm guessing he still has another face on the back of his own.
The round "ear covers" at the sides of the helmet give the impression that it may flip back to cover the rear face. At least enough to obscure it from being a face. (I'm hoping...)
Points for the attempt, though, if not the intent. If anything it just underlines how ridiculous a concept the character was, that not even modern engineering will be able to make it convincing.
To me, he was a decent enough idea for a gimmick at the time. His corny bit in Rebirth did him no favors though. But as far as homages go, there have been worse ideas.

That being said, I can't wait to see the toy. Also a bit curious to see how faction symbols will be handled. I don't have either Sideswipe or Sunstreaker (already having iterations I'm happy with) so this is a chance to pick up what seems to be a well received mold.
Dragon Warrior Steve
Protoform

Post by Dragon Warrior Steve »

Though I was never a fan of the idea, the mold choice is great. Should be interesting to see how he turns out.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

S_Windell wrote:To me, he was a decent enough idea for a gimmick at the time. His corny bit in Rebirth did him no favors though.
Sod Rebirth, it's Headmasters that really hammers home the idiocy of a spy who walks around with his disguise stapled to his back...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Oh come on Hasbro Transformers Collector's Club Magazine editors, how could you not just have Counterpunch with the slogan "His Autobot Counterpart is nearby..."? then open up the cover to have Punch on the other side with "...real nearby!". It would have been the greatest (and likely most toy accurate) cover in the magazines illustrious history.
wyze2099
Protoform

Post by wyze2099 »

I heart Punch/Counterpunch, so I'm really interested in this. I suppose this means I'd have to join the Collector's Club.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

A Collectors' Club exclusive that's desirable and makes intelligent use of a figure? How innovative and imaginative.

Does this development nix that thing about digi/kitbashes ****ing with future releases? Or are the Collectors' Club not covered by the same thing due to not being proper? Or was that just bullshit in the first place? Or is there just going to be a race to sue them?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's possible they'd already decided on doing this as down the line before anyone had even seen the toy, let alone kitbashed it. As said, it's a fairly obvious idea.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Looks interesting... Frenzy/Rumbles is better though. I don't have to wait to see the finished product to know that.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Hah! Was fiddling with Uni Sideswipe last night, and the transforming gun deal is possible! Not incredibly cool, but it does work!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

inflatable dalek wrote:It's possible they'd already decided on doing this as down the line before anyone had even seen the toy, let alone kitbashed it. As said, it's a fairly obvious idea.
Considering about several dozen fans said "Wow, perfect chance for Punch/Counterpunch" as soon as Hasbro announced Sunstreaker and Sideswipe to be the same mold with an alternate transformation, it'd indeed be obvious. I mean, we're not talking stuff like "Hardhead out of Universe Onslaught" here.

That, and this is Fun Publications, not Hasbro.

Also, some douche over at TFW2005 already claimed Hasbro stole his idea until other people pointed out that at least two customs by other members preceded his own one.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Punch/Counterpunch head concept art revealed @ transformersclub.com. Details how the head will transform.

Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

I hope they cover the thing good enough....
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

The second exclusive has been revealed: Shattered Glass Cyclonus.
http://www.transformersclub.com/
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nevermore wrote:The second exclusive has been revealed: Shattered Glass Cyclonus.
http://www.transformersclub.com/
****ing Hell, I think my eyeballs just melted...