Final movie Voyager Optimus Prime test shot?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Final movie Voyager Optimus Prime test shot?

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

The little driver figure is pure gold. *rimshot*

He looks a tad back heavy, though.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Originally posted by Tetsuro
The little driver figure is pure gold. *rimshot*

He looks a tad back heavy, though.

Well I could say the same thing about my girlfriend and just like this I love her!!
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

He does seem to have a lot going on in the back department, however he IS standing unaided in the photos. Hopefully that's a sign of good things, right?
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

I think I liked the dark blue scheme better, but overall it was an improvement. Wasn't his shoulder pads supposed t be blue with red flames though? (instead of all red)

There other two things I didn't like about this mold. One is the "truck on my back thing". Also, it's kind of disappointing that the windows on his chest are not the actual truck windows, that is kind of lame. This sort of trick has been used in multiple prime incarnations, and it's always a disappointment (e.g.: rid prime, laser rod prime, etc)

I guess if the truck's windows can't be on his chest for whatever reason, then for Christ's sake give him a different chest (like they did with armada prime, for example). A similar trick has been used with MP Prime and also with classics prime (voyager), where the grill on the robot's crotch is not the actual grill on the front of the truck, I thought that was pretty frustrating, and degraded otherwise great molds.

Because of these two little details, it seems like voyager prime's transformation is completely different from leader prime's, and also different from the actual movie transformation. Nevertheless, it's a great mold. I guess I'll end up buying both voyager and leader primes, because voyager prime has a more accurate silhouette, and leader prime has a more accurate transformation and paint scheme.

Also, voyager class is on a scale closer to the other autobots, whereas movie prime is a lot more detailed, but too big to be displayed with them. I guess I'll have voyager class close to the rest of the movie toys on the shelf, and leader prime next to MP-04.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I actually enjoy the "trick" windows and grill on Classics and such. It leaves the iconic Prime look intact while giving him slimmer looks or better transformations. Sure, there's no real need to have sticker windows for pecs, but it usually winds up looking pretty cool.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I guess if the truck's windows can't be on his chest for whatever reason, then for Christ's sake give him a different chest (like they did with armada prime, for example).

I think that it would be impossible for this Prime to have a new chest look, as I imagine it is supposed to resemble the Movie incarnation, and, as a result, they had to do something to give a similar chest without being able to use a suitably complex transformation.

;)

It can be fun to have a Prime with a different look, but I actually love RID Prime, MP Convoy and the Classics mold, and am happy for them to have false parts.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Originally posted by numbat
I think that it would be impossible for this Prime to have a new chest look, as I imagine it is supposed to resemble the Movie incarnation, and, as a result, they had to do something to give a similar chest without being able to use a suitably complex transformation.

I understand that, but IMHO, in this case they should have directed most of their design efforts towards matching the main features of the movie transformation: the front of the truck becomes the robot's leg, and the cabin becomes its chest. Both features are missing from the voyager class version, and present in the leader class. This would have avoided the "truck-on-my-back" look that is the main drawback of this mold.

Anyway, both voyager and leader figures look great, and each of them has pros and cons. I guess I'll be buying both! =)
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Originally posted by Notabot
I actually enjoy the "trick" windows and grill on Classics and such. It leaves the iconic Prime look intact while giving him slimmer looks or better transformations.

Both Armada Prime and Cybertron Prime look pretty "Primey" to me, without using false parts. War Within prime also has a completely redesigned chest, and it still looks very "Primey". I actually prefer this kind of original design concept. They are very reminiscent of the original design but not exactly a rehash of the original toy.

In classics prime, I don't think the false grill was necessary, since the toy was already pretty convincing as a Prime because of the chest windows. They could have just used a different design for his crotch.

In MP prime, I think they should have come up with a way of keeping the grill in place, instead of adding a false grill underneath the truck. It wouldn't be that hard...

Laser Rod Prime was a great figure (I own RiD Scourge), but I think the false windows and grill are misleading. They could have easily come up with an alternative chest design for him, I'm pretty sure the figure would still look great. It's just a matter of being a little creative, instead of simply copying old designs...

But hey, that's just me...
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Viewfind

Post by Viewfind »

I like the test verson alot better, i think the darker colors fit better.
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Originally posted by Viewfind
I like the test verson alot better, i think the darker colors fit better.

I agree, the darker color is more movie accurate.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

did you guys see the pictures of voyager prime "robot-vision" target exclusive?

So, is voyager prime going to be a target exclusive, or are we going to have two versions of this mold?
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Originally posted by Angus
did you guys see the pictures of voyager prime "robot-vision" target exclusive?

No, can't say that I have heard of it. Would you be able to provide us with a link?
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Originally posted by zigzagger
No, can't say that I have heard of it. Would you be able to provide us with a link?

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1221856

I wonder if this is going to be the only voyager prime we are going to get, or if the dark blue version is going to be released in other store chains as a regular voyager toy.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

There will be a regular mass retail Voyager Prime toy.
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

I'm starting to get real confused with all the different size classes of characters in this film line. Not only are there leader class sizes for Optimus and Megatron, there are Voyager as well, what's the difference there? Are they just the same and I'm getting needlessly confused, or are there even MORE size classes of characters I don't know about.
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
numbat

Post by numbat »

It's a shame robo vision Prime only has metallic finishes here and there - his feet and hands really stand out even worse than in the versions we've seen in flat grey plastic. Now, if only they would just give a metallic finish to all metal parts of these guys as a matter of course... I can dream...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by ColdBain
I'm starting to get real confused with all the different size classes of characters in this film line. Not only are there leader class sizes for Optimus and Megatron, there are Voyager as well, what's the difference there? Are they just the same and I'm getting needlessly confused, or are there even MORE size classes of characters I don't know about.

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/checklist ... _movie.php