Transformers Attacktix: Are you going to play?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
jojomanzo
Protoform

Transformers Attacktix: Are you going to play?

Post by jojomanzo »

I see there is a thread about the images already, but I was hoping to find out if anyone plans to buy and PLAY with these toys. I know there are skeptics out there, but I want you guys to get pumped for these, because they are going to be GREAT!

You can see all 30+ figures planned to come out RIGHT HERE

And for those of you who think these guys are deformed, or McDonald's toys... just keep on reading.

from www.joeattacktix.com

Transformers Attacktix are coming out in a few months, and after the initial showing at Toy Fair 2006, they have been met with some skepticism by Transformer fans. Attacktix, be it Star Wars or Transformers, are very odd looking. They have big bulky arms, giant hands, and guns that would make Gilda Radner's chair look small. What is the reason for all this deformity? Functionality.

What this means for Transformer fans is that these toys are NOT for fans who only enjoy the thrill of "transforming" that giant robot. There will be no transformations here, aside from a Special Power that pops up from time to time. However, that does not mean these are not toys for Transformers fans. Take it from me, I moderate one of the only Attacktix Forums and author the only Attacktix Blog I am aware of... and when I bought my first pack of Star Wars Attacktix, I kept the receipt.

Attacktix are fun, and they are meant to be played with! So if you not only love Transformers because of the skill required to transform the toys, but you also enjoy watching the cartoon (any of them) then you will like Attacktix. I can still hear the sound of Optimus Prime transforming into his truck form, with a noise that can not be onomatopoeically written. If you used to make this sound while transforming your figures, and then bang two of them together as if they were fighting in your own lap, then Attacktix is for you!

My wife and I have collected toys for as long as we have been together. During the height of the new Star Wars trilogy, we bought some of the new figures and we battled... but it didn't feel right. Attacktix brings that feeling back! You get to shoot and punch the bad guys (or the good guys!) To do all this, Hasbro had to alter the look of the figures a bit. In contrast, Marvel Showdown figures look awesome. They are basically mini-Marvel Legends that can fight each other. But how do they fight each other? Spider-Man shoots a web from an arm mounted web blaster and the Incredible Hulk shoots a green fist from... an arm mounted fist blaster. (You remember that issue right?) These ToyBiz toys look great, but nobody bought them for the game, in fact I am not sure who is playing the game.

People are playing Attacktix. Adults, children, families, everyone is playing with Attacktix because that is these figures' purpose. It is fine if you are a die-hard Transformers fan, and these toys are too childish to pick up. But do not dismiss them because they are Transformers that do not transform, like Action Masters. These are not made for transforming, they are made for battle. Scoffing at a bust of Optimus Prime because he can not transform would be ridiculous. The same goes for Attacktix, buy a Starter Set and let one missile fly. I guarantee you will be hooked!

SORRY FOR THE WRONG BOARD!!!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

News staff may correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be classified as a merchandise discussion rather than actually news.

As usual when I futz around in your forum though guys, feel free to move this sucker back and delete my response here.

Though I will add that I probably won't play the game, but might collect some if I see the actual figures and they're appealing.
jojomanzo
Protoform

Post by jojomanzo »

The figrues will be all packaged BLIND, so you won't get to see any but the Battle Packs and Megas... but they look AWESOME in person!
jojomanzo
Protoform

Post by jojomanzo »

Only 18 Transformers will be released in the Boosters, and four in the Starter, two of which will ALSO be in the Boosters. So, barring any repaints, we are looking at 20 figures right there. Throw in the Mega, packed with a normal figure, and the Intergalactic Showdown pack with an Optimus, Megatron and Mega... we are now looking at 23 DIFFERENT molds. Galvatron and Dark Scorpnok could shake things up, but still 23 seems about right.

Today, after nearly four months of searching, I found a clear shot of the Transformers packaging, complete with the figure order list. After a lot of squinting, maybe you will see it, too.

BOOSTERS

RARE
TF1-1. Mini-Con (Skyboom)
TF1-2. Omnicon
TF1-3. Decepticlone
TF1-4. Insecticon
TF1-5. Rodimus
TF1-6. Battle Ravage

SUPER RARE
TF1-7. Scourge
TF1-8. Starscream
TF1-9. Hot Shot
TF1-10. Excellion
TF1-11. Vector Prime
TF1-12. Landmine
TF1-13. Super Optimus Prime
TF1-14. Optimus Prime (Truck)
TF1-15. Scorponok
TF1-16. Megatron
TF1-17. Megatron (Jet)
TF1-18. Ransack

STARTERS (Numbers may be out of order)

TF1-19. Scorponok (Duplicate - maybe DARK Scorponok)
TF1-20. Omni-Con (Duplicate)
TF1-21. Skyblast (Jet)
TF1-22. Demolishor

TF1-23. Crumplezone (From Mega)

MEGAS

TF1-24. Omega Supreme
TF1-25. Omega Sentinel

IG SHOWDOWN

1G-1. Super Optimus Prime
1G-2. Megatron
IG-3 (TF1-25) Omega Sentinel

MIA (To be with Battle Case and/or Second Starter Set?)

STARTER SET 2?
Galvatron
Overhaul
Arcee
Skyblast

WITH BATTLE CASE?
Dirtboss

So, let's start talking. IF these are coming out in June, they are only weeks away!
Pictures of all figures above can be found here
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

I used to play the Mech Warrior click game. These look neat but probably won't play. Though I would reconsider if they did a g1 only set.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jojomanzo
Protoform

Post by jojomanzo »

They have been released Star Wars in "Episode" themes, so MAYBE we will see some G1 figures in the future!
Scout

Post by Scout »

A g1 set would really be pretty awesome. I might give these a try, but after messing with a tiny bit of heroclix- I have my doubts as to the ability of these figs to hold my interest for long. They may go the same way as the BW card game did.
jojomanzo
Protoform

Post by jojomanzo »

All my Heroclix went on ebay...

The reason Attacktix works for "me" is because you can talk ANYBODY into playing it. Move, Aim, Shoot... next turn. It's that simpe.

Even my WIFE plays Attacktix. My friends that normally don't like toys were even convinced to play a few rounds (with some beer involved)
Scout

Post by Scout »

:) Might give them a try. I admit, I got turned off to the recent character lines by the number of toy repaints they were coming up with and the fact that the cartoon was being shown at morning hours that shouldn't exist. Sounds like an easy enough game, but then too- I've learned after bad experiences with MtG and Heroclix that if you wait long enough, you can buy massive quantities of unwanted cards or figures on ebay for pennies of what you would have paid first hand, and then you needn't be concerned about millions of doubles. ;)

Do you have some particular characters are you looking forward to most, Jojomanzo?
jojomanzo
Protoform

Post by jojomanzo »

Battle Ravage and Scourge look very cool. I play the Star Wars Attacktix, too... and I really like strikers.

Ravage's mace looks AWESOME. Of course, I need Optimus and Megatron, but luckily they come in that big pack so I KNOW I can get them.

Dirtboss looks like he could be fun, too. I am what they call an addict, so I will have them all - good or bad I don't know. But I can't wait!
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Well the one thing with making the game too simple is it well makes the game too simple :) One thing I loved about the Mech Warrior click game was all the detials and strategy involoved. Combined with all the different vechicle and infantry types as well.

But I am sure people can vary the rules as well. Honesty though if they did this line without the Energon and Cybertron stuff I'd be alot more interested. RID, BW and G1 would be sweet with what they have now I am only interested in a few of the figures. Also, where are the combiners now those would be spiffy as well :)
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jojomanzo
Protoform

Post by jojomanzo »

Originally posted by Ravage
Well the one thing with making the game too simple is it well makes the game too simple :) One thing I loved about the Mech Warrior click game was all the detials and strategy involoved. Combined with all the different vechicle and infantry types as well.

But I am sure people can vary the rules as well. Honesty though if they did this line without the Energon and Cybertron stuff I'd be alot more interested. RID, BW and G1 would be sweet with what they have now I am only interested in a few of the figures. Also, where are the combiners now those would be spiffy as well :)

Yes, we add a bunch of House Rules to make it a little more fun and competitive. But there is a lot of strategy if you look through all the figures. A lot of the work with each other... calling Troopers, or Autobots or specific names. Some will revive you, others grant you bonuses (or cripple your opponent). So two advanced gamers CAN make for a very competitive game. I was very skeptical at first, myself, but now I can't get enough!

With the new "EFFECTs" they are adding, I think they are trying to capture a wider gaming audience!