First storyline for IDW TF:Evolutions comics series?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

First storyline for IDW TF:Evolution comics series?

Post by Denyer »

Credit to Das Bender: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/thread89536.html

"This morning I was listening to an interview with comics writer Chuck Dixon on a podcast downloaded from John Siuntres' Wordballoon site and Chuck spilled some interesting news. He says he's working on a 4 issue Transformers series for IDW that features steam-driven Transformers back in the 1800's. The artist for the series is Ted McKeever." --> http://www.wordballoon.com/DIXON.html

30Mb MP3. I haven't listened to it myself yet, but I assume this is true. Sounds interesting, although four issues for a storyline seems a bit much. I was hoping Evolutions would feature shorter and more self-contained "What if?" material.

edit:

It's going to be called "Hearts of Steel" and there's inked prelim art in this thread:

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin ... f=21;t=993
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Isn't that actually fourth_heir's idea?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

With all due respect to Fourth Heir, I doubt he was the first one to come up with the idea of Steampunk Transformers...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Isn't that actually fourth_heir's idea?
Da Vinci was born in the fifteenth century, which was fairly different to the nineteenth... we'll be getting something a bit more Victorian in styling than wooden trebuchets, I suspect...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
Da Vinci was born in the fifteenth century, which was fairly different to the nineteenth... we'll be getting something a bit more Victorian in styling than wooden trebuchets, I suspect...

Yeh, which is a bit like coming up with the idea of saying "Ice ice baby" over the top. When you rip something off, you don't tend to identikit it.

I'm fully aware that retro Transformers are probably as old as Transformers fan fiction/fan art itself, it was more of an example as to how that strikes me as a highly unoriginal idea. It really sounds like one of these projects where the redesigns and the "OMG Megatron's a maxim cannon!" factor are going to be given as much thought as to whether the story has any real right to exist (a la the 274 GI Joe crossovers we've had in the past few years).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The likely redesign-for-the-sake-of-redesign aspect isn't encouraging, no... a major failing of the Joes stuff was to not engage much with the history of the period -- a fan somewhere else came up with an idea about Megatron dealing with Nazi scientists and passing on Cybertronian technology, which I thought had some promise... engagement with public figures and stuff specific to the era should definitely play a part.

Come to think of it, a Cold War / McCarthyist era storyline would fit the "robots in disguise" theme rather well.

If this one is played as a Hellboy/LoEG style story, though, it may work... it'll depend on the quality and meshing of writing and art more than usual... like any "What if?" tale or crossover does. You need to make people give a sh*t about the characters and situation, which is harder with alt-universe stuff.

I hope whatever's up next isn't just a shift of time period. It's a great opportunity for less well known characters to be given the spotlight, or tales told that could fit into existing continuities, or grand concepts such as "What if Megatron's Decepticons actually won, what with all the psychos they recruited later on?"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's going to be called "Hearts of Steel" and there's inked prelim art in this thread:

Gasket
Protoform

Post by Gasket »

Originally posted by Denyer

This looks totally rad, I hope it lives up to expectations.

The art is great, it has a weird, alieny but still familiar vibe. I really like it. It would be nice if they kept it black and white.
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

Looks good
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Interesting concept could have Astrotrain in it as his Locomotive mode would fit quite nicely more so than in 1980's USA in fact , I can see Brawl and Quake reinvented a sarmoured Boxcars or something similar.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Decent concept art but for the moment I have doubts about how they'll pull this off! Uh oh its an 'elseworlds' type set up - What if they woke up a bit earlier than the last cross over that happened? Still, I have an open mind and so far IDW have impressed with their first TF story...which reminds me I need to pick mine up when I get paid.