Operation Combination

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
martyboy70

Operation Combination

Post by martyboy70 »

Ok so all this week Ive been digging all my stuff out of boxes and getting it displayed as I realised Id been here 6 months and most of my TFs were in their boxes or a big cardboard number in a dark cupboard(thread to follow) and when it came to the combiners I was wondering is there a definitive way of building them.
Ive pretty much got them as per the instructions (thanks Cobra Island toys) except my Bruticus which has 2 Brawls for legs and Swindle and Blast off for arms as I dont have a Vortex.
Ive been watching season 2 this week but haven't got to the introduction of the Combiners yet so are the layouts as per the instructions cartoon accurate?
And do the combiners suffer from as many errors as most of the other cast.
I watched Scramble City on Youtube to get some ideas but for an episode centred on the Combiner gimmick and the interchangability(not sure if thats a real word) of the different parts its so riddled with miscolours and duplicates etc. as to be pointless.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Titus Andronicus

It's not exactly a hard and fast science.

Post by Titus Andronicus »

It doesn't really matter that much, but unicron.com has pics of the box art for the combiners, though the toys and their animation models don't always correspond. IIRC there's usually animation shots too.
Come see the Titus Files

Their defences are broken, let the slaughter begin!
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

There used to be an amusing website out there demonstrating that while the "Scramble City"-type combiners' limbs were indeed interchangeable, sometimes the results were pretty funny-looking. I can't find it now or I'd share the link. Among the "doh"s were Slingshot's skinny self as a Superion leg...

As for Bruuuuuuticus, as far as I remember the G1 cartoon always showed him the same way as the instructions, although they did picture Blast-Off's wings as his chestplate. (I guess it was preferable to having it appear from nowhere...)
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Was it Defensor or Superion who always seemed to have identical pair of legs?
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

I'd guess Superion, as Air Raid and Skydive (legs) both had red chestplates, that was probably enough for the animators :)
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

martyboy70 wrote: Ive been watching season 2 this week but haven't got to the introduction of the Combiners yet so are the layouts as per the instructions cartoon accurate?

Where the others are concerned... generally not. Bruticus was shown "correctly" per the instructions, and I believe Defensor was too. Superion and Menasor were shown in a slightly different configuration (although they took so much artistic license with Menasor in general anyway). Computron and Abominus appear to be rendered "correctly" as well.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Bruticus' box art actually has Brawl backwards as well - I'm pretty sure the instructions don't call for that. :)