Dragonball and its many sequels

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Selkadoom

Dragonball and its many sequels

Post by Selkadoom »

I'm legitimately curious if theres any other fans of Dragonball, Z or GT around
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Seen it and enjoyed most of it, but wouldn't call myself a fan in the sense that I'm a Transformers fan
Sades

Post by Sades »

I guess. I love the ridiculousness of Dragonball.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I love Dragonball! I've only seen Z up to the beginning of the Cell Saga though and I've read the entire manga.

I prefer the light-hearted humour of Dragonball to Z. Not that I think Z is bad, it's just not as much fun.

I've not watched GT.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I had a kind of phase where I was into DBZ, but Funimation's crap handling of the license made me sell all my DVDs in a fit of anger - and I hadn't even seen the Buu saga yet.

I finally did few months ago and I didn't like it.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Hound wrote:I love Dragonball! I've only seen Z up to the beginning of the Cell Saga though and I've read the entire manga.

I prefer the light-hearted humour of Dragonball to Z. Not that I think Z is bad, it's just not as much fun.

I've not watched GT.
Don't watch GT' it's a show that really wanted to be a mix of Dragonball and Z' but just feel flat, and I can understand the love of Dragonball, I do enjoy it's much more lighthearted feeling, but I grew up with Z so I guess that's what keeps me loyal to it
Tetsuro wrote:I had a kind of phase where I was into DBZ, but Funimation's crap handling of the license made me sell all my DVDs in a fit of anger - and I hadn't even seen the Buu saga yet.

I finally did few months ago and I didn't like it.
Buu as a whole was an unnessecary arc in the story, but I must recomend checking out Battle of Gods and Ressurection of F whenever the latter comes out, both are a really good welcome back to Toriyama and his style that was absent from most of Buu and GT.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

My biggest issue with the Buu saga was that unlike the previous major story arcs, most if is spent fighting just one villain, so for an absurdly long stretch it's just everyone taking on Buu and getting their asses kicked. It only got worse once he started talking. It was like that infamous royal knight arc from Digimon Frontier, except at least that one was only like ten episodes.

Another thing I hated about it was that the humour felt really out of place with how freaking dark it was. The human race is exterminated, the minor characters are turned into candy and eaten, and somehow that's supposed to be funny.

But yeah, Battle of the Gods was great.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I am a fan of mainly Z but I have seen the second half of GT and some of DB, probably the first half or whatever, although I fallen behind with the video games as I haven't played Battle of Z nor Xenoverse.

I liked Battle of the Gods, contrary to a lot of other people apparently.
Destruction is my specialty
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

HeavyArms wrote:I am a fan of mainly Z but I have seen the second half of GT and some of DB, probably the first half or whatever, although I fallen behind with the video games as I haven't played Battle of Z nor Xenoverse.

I liked Battle of the Gods, contrary to a lot of other people apparently.
I've actually never heard any thing bad about BoG, both the dub and the sub version are strong\
Tetsuro wrote:My biggest issue with the Buu saga was that unlike the previous major story arcs, most if is spent fighting just one villain, so for an absurdly long stretch it's just everyone taking on Buu and getting their asses kicked. It only got worse once he started talking. It was like that infamous royal knight arc from Digimon Frontier, except at least that one was only like ten episodes.

Another thing I hated about it was that the humour felt really out of place with how freaking dark it was. The human race is exterminated, the minor characters are turned into candy and eaten, and somehow that's supposed to be funny.

But yeah, Battle of the Gods was great.
I can get that complaint against the arc, it did kind of stretch on, even by DBZ standards. but at the same time I suppose I liked certain elements (The whole the most dangerous Buu is a pint sized brat thing] and the use of fusions were a neat ice breaaker as well
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

The episode where Vegetto beats the crap out of Buu as a jawbreaker was the best part in the entire saga.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

It was indeed an entertaining one
Feel I should mention Ressurection of F will be seeing release in US theaters this august.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Now that I've been sitting through the old Toei DBZ movies (I feel rather foolish not watching the even more obviously non-canon Dragonball ones first), I've finally hit the realization; Broly is actually a pretty shitty villain.

In fact, that pretty much goes for all the movie baddies, with the possible exceptions of Cooler and Hildegarn. Everyone else's motive is essentially "I'm here to conquer the planet while being as evil as possible about it", but Broly doesn't even have that much going on for him - in fact, his backstory is positively stupid. Cooler at least has the whole "I'm not here to avenge my brother, but I kinda am" motive and Hildegarn isn't even the real bad guy of the story. In fact, I'd say the last movie is the only good one squarely because it feels like it has an actual plot going on.

And they're still not even half as good as Battle of Gods.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The episodes I've seen of DBZ I found boring and stupid. It was the insane Freeza battle every episode was:

Freeza: "Goku I shall attack you with my super attack"

Goku: "Oh no!"

While Freeza powers up and Goku runs for cover for the next 5 episodes the Z-Warriors back on Earth talk about Goku. Finally Freeza launches his attack and we get another 5 episodes of watching the ground being destroyed by pretty colored light-show then we learn that surprise that Goku lives and he launches his super-duper attack against Freeza and pretty much the same thing for another 5 episodes and repeat for so damn long that you don't give a damn. I wish I had the time I wasted watching this crap back so I could watch something better or was at least you know fun.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Buu saga is even worse. At least Freeza got a whole bunch of mooks for the protagonists to fight before they get to him. They fought Buu for like 60 episodes nearly all of which is just spent on Buu beating the tar out of everybody.

Freeza took like less than half of that and even then they at least had the courtesy to have Goku bitchslap him around for three episodes before killing him off to make it all feel worthwhile.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

At least the Android/Cell saga worked somewhat better since the constantly changing villains added suspense and Cell was up until his final form an intelligent mother hucker. Playing off of egos and experience to stay ahead. That being said a small part of me enjoys Super Buu wasting humanity to spite Piccolos offer
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I thought that part was just plain stupid and one of the reasons the attempt to return to more comical narrative after the seriousness of the android saga felt so hap-hazard, because it was set against such a grim backdrop.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Tetsuro wrote:Buu saga is even worse. At least Freeza got a whole bunch of mooks for the protagonists to fight before they get to him. They fought Buu for like 60 episodes nearly all of which is just spent on Buu beating the tar out of everybody.

Freeza took like less than half of that and even then they at least had the courtesy to have Goku bitchslap him around for three episodes before killing him off to make it all feel worthwhile.
When CN aired it as weekly show it took them over 4 months to air the episode where the blew up Freeza and the whole damn planet.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

I remember Toonami. Gateway anime block to my generation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:When CN aired it as weekly show it took them over 4 months to air the episode where the blew up Freeza and the whole damn planet.
Well that's not how I watched it so... :p