The ancient dilemma...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Sub or Dub?

Subtitled
77%
Dubbed
23%
Raw!
No votes

Total votes: 13

OmegaDenmad
Protoform

The ancient dilemma...

Post by OmegaDenmad »

Well, it IS a dilemma. :p

Edit: Well, my choice is Subtitled. I think Japanese voice actor/seiyuus do a better work most of the time. There are SOME dubs that are good, but that's pretty rare. Trigun comes to my mind...
Insert philosophical phrase here. Yeaaaaah right.
Ultra Magnus
Protoform

Post by Ultra Magnus »

I loved dubbed only if they do not torture the actual language to much
Denyer

I enjoy...

Post by Denyer »

...watching subtitles can detract from the action a little, but it's cool to try to pick up common phrases and words.

Dubbing tends to be quite poor compared to the dedicated translation of literature, when the translators usually have to refer back to the original author somewhat.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I like original language with English subs. However, I do enjoy a good dub. I haven't heard too many good dubs, but they do exist. Namely, Macross Plus, Wings of Honnemaise, Cowboy Bebop, 1+2 seasons of Sailor Moon, Dirty Pair Flash, Vampire Hunter D and Those Who Hunt Elves. :)
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

It actually depends on the quality of the dubbing, and the studios concerning with the task. There is no way in hell would I watch Akira the orignal version dubbed, since the subtitled version is far superior i reckon, and since its what Otomo origanlly wanted. however, I did enjoy watching the dub version of Laputa, and thought that was very good, also cowboy Bebop.

I think I like to have both options to choose from, after all today's technology should accomodate for various tastes
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Dubs _can_ be good, but most of the time they aren't. Yes they are good in that you're not constantly looking at the bottom of the screen, but again, the voice actors usually don't do a good job. I voted for sub, simply because the acting is far better and it isn't shredded up like a chainsaw to a piece of paper. Im guessing that there won't ever be an Anime that will change my mind into picking dub over sub, its just not going to happen.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

I've watched both, but I think I have a better time watching subs because not only do I read fast, but it also doesn't seem as stupid when they are shouting things. Some dub does work, though. I think Princess Mononoke was dubbed(if memory serves), and from what I remember, if that's right, they did a helluva job making things look right with speech.

If I'm wrong, well, someone tell me. :)

R.
Astrotrain99
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain99 »

I prefer dubbs. Don't care much for reading the text and watching the action at the same time.

Astrotrain trips: Come take a cruse of the lovely planet of Char, er... ok, maybe not that lovely.
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Anyway the way I see it, most anime worth their salt normally have an option for either dub or sub. So everyone is a winner
Almagnus1
Protoform

Post by Almagnus1 »

Originally posted by yakumo
Anyway the way I see it, most anime worth their salt normally have an option for either dub or sub. So everyone is a winner
I'll have to agree w/ that. It can go either way, although there are some that i wished they would have subbed (can't really think of any non TF anime that at the moment so.....) specifically Headmasters--the names were a little on the distracting side (correct me if i'm wrong here, but from what I remembered Wally=Blur, Billy=Blaster, and Sparkle=Spike!?! riiiiggghhhht)