Whats your favourite non TF 80's cartoon?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zudo Bug
Protoform

Whats your favourite non TF 80's cartoon?

Post by Zudo Bug »

My favourite is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors as I never missed an episode of this when it was originally on. Shame about it being so hard to track down on DVD these days.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Is that a Telebug in your avatar?

It was probably Thundercats or She-Ra at the time, series-wise. I'm rewatching MCOG at the moment, although that's stalled because there's a ton of other stuff the people I'm going through it with want to watch as well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

At the time? Thundercats, I think, or Action Force.

Now? God, probably Dangermouse... most of the tie-in stuff is basically unwatchable now - Gobots, GI Joe, Turtles, He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers... same old hack-written morality tales...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Inspector Gadget was great at the time.

But The Mysterious Cities of Gold was the best thing ever. Great then, great now. It was one long awsome story.
Hound

Post by Hound »

During the 80s it was TFs and Voltron. Now though...

Hmmm, hard to say, I like many of them equally. That and there are many that I still remember loving that I just haven't seen since I was a kid because they're impossible to find. (Dinosaucers, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and the Tigersharks)

I suppose if I had to pick the on that's most watchable now I'd have to say G.I.Joe. Which is funny because I barely gave it any notice when I was a kid.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I was thinking the same thing. I can't stand pretty much any of the shows I watched as a kid. I found stuff like dangermouse rather boring at the time but now I'd probably be all for it.

My nostalgia and memories paint a rosier picture that are better off left in the 80s where they belong ;)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Hound

Post by Hound »

My problem with Thundercats is that the sword gets really ridiculous a ways in to the series. It's the ultimate plot device.

You need to undo the evil spell that's been cast upon the Thundercats? Point the sword and say "HO!"

You need to destroy a supergiant blackhole? Point the sword...

The sword could do anything, and did do anything throughout the course of the series.

Plus they could breathe in the vacuum of space. What the hell is that? Carefull you don't fall of your space bike you could fall! IN SPACE!

Yeah I know, G.I.Joe wasn't a paragon of realism but at least the key to beating the bad guys didn't rest on one single object every single episode. I tend to think of Silverhawks and Tigersharks as the better Rankin-Bass cartoons.
Zudo Bug
Protoform

Post by Zudo Bug »

Is that a Telebug in your avatar?
Yes it is. It is, as you have probably already guessed Zudo Bug - the rare case of a cool character in a crap cartoon!

Another thing that I like most about 80's cartoons is the theme music. I have found that there a number of cartoons that I remember where the theme music is just as memorable as the cartoon itself and, in some cases the theme music is even more memorable than the show (a short-lived cartoon called Pole Position springs to mind). It didn't matter if it was a 'boys cartoon' like Thundercats or a pre-school one like Pigeon Street a number of them had memorable theme music.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

TMNT and Real Ghostbusters, though Silverhawks comes a close third because I loved the toys so much. Transformers were in there, but I don't remember getting really into them until Beast Wars.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

ThunderCats during the actually period. Had everything there was going- figures, bed cover, the works. If you haven't guessed what my favourite is in retrospect from looking at my profile (that little bar just to your left here) you are dense.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

The 80s? Definitely DM and Count Duckula - when Cosgrove/ Hall were on their biggest roll. If I can drift aside from talking about series at this point, I've got to say that 'The Wind in the Willows' stop-motion film was and is still one of my faves ever. Returning to series, I'll add Willo-the-Wisp, all due to Kenneth William's many voices and the dry humour. Oh, and Inspector Gadget.

Leaving UK developed stuff, Scooby was still a favourite, followed by He-Man for the fun of it, but never bothered with She-Ra . DynoMutt was also a good laugh; I know it's heyday was the late Seventies, but it only got over the pond early in the following decade.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

It's a tie between...

VOLTRON: DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE (Lion Force Voltron of course)

and

ROBOTECH

Awesome shows!
Maraudermus Prime 2
Protoform

Post by Maraudermus Prime 2 »

Can't say Transformers, so I'll say Inspector Gadget too:)
FANTASTIC!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Jem.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Captain N
Civ

Post by Civ »

I watched a lot of 80's cartoons -- Ghostbusters, The Real Ghostbusters (which made the other Ghostbusters show look like ****), Thundercats, Smurfs (yes, I'll admit that I watched them), Voltron, He-Man, TMNT, Go-bots...but I think the one that stood out for me was the Bionic Six. Looking back, the plot(s) were utter crap and everyone who wasn't a Bionic Six member seemed to suffer from the Clark Kent/Superman syndrome but the animation was really damn good for the time period.