Pirates of the Caribbean[now spoileriffic!...]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

Pirates of the Caribbean

Post by Hound »

In 2 words, it ruled!

Discuss...
RCOSD

Post by RCOSD »

Typical middle film filler.

Still made me laugh, but some sections were just too long and thus made the movie too long
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I read that it was too long and the only reason its as good is because of Depp, will post my opinion on tuesday when I have seen it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Reviews I've read said it was overlong and incomprehensibly convoluted.

Having made a point of watching it before reading the reviews, I can confidently state that the reviewers in question are idiots who lack either an attention span or the ability to follow any form of actual plot.

Loved it. First half hour or so was a bit rubbish. Opened a bit too fast paced, and I really don't understand the point of having a "comedic interlude" so early on... especially if it has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The whole stuff on the island early on felt like a completely superfluous "skit"... if they'd come back for the hundred souls, it would have been worthwhile, but otherwise not...

All the rest? Ace-tastic.

Brilliant to see Jack Davenport taking centre stage with proper A Listers. Well, an A Lister and a tabloid pretty boy, but it equates to the same thing. Man's a legend.

Ending was Teh Rocking. But I have to wait until Spidey 3 for it. Oe noes!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Brilliant to see Jack Davenport taking centre stage with proper A Listers. Well, an A Lister and a tabloid pretty boy, but it equates to the same thing. Man's a legend.

And Kiera of course. oh how I love her. And Pirates. So Kiera + Pirates = Marriage made in heaven.

And surely Jack is an A lister?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Reviews I've read said it was overlong and incomprehensibly convoluted.

Having made a point of watching it before reading the reviews, I can confidently state that the reviewers in question are idiots who lack either an attention span or the ability to follow any form of actual plot.

I'm surprised at how many negative reviews it's received, but my opinion of anyone whose opinion of this movie is low is low.

I loved it and was amazed that not only were the action sequences good and numerous, but that they kept one-upping each other.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Great movie. Great ending, that came to me as quite unexpected.

I'm amazed how much CGI has came on though. Really thought Davy Jones was quite real looking for a CGI character.
The score for the movie was also top notch, like the first, as was the acting, minus Bloom who decided to slip into an American accent for one scene for no apparent reason whatsoever. Guy uses his own voice and ***** it up, just annoyed me. Stupid ****.

Loved this movie, and can't wait for the next one.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by DrEvil
Really thought Davy Jones was quite real looking for a CGI character.
He's CGI? So Bill Nighy's only a voice actor?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

He was Phil in Shaun of the Dead.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I know that. He was also superb in Love Actually. But I meant to ask if in Pirates 2 he's actually on screen in a make-up playing Davy Jones, or does he only provide the voice and Jones is CGI.
DrEvil

UPDATED

Post by DrEvil »

Well I'm taking that from an interview with Stellan Skarsgård/ Bill Turner whom said that he was the only one who didn't have CGI but the rest of the crew did. I just took it to mean Nighy's character as well. If it weren't it was still a damn good performance and a damn good costume and animitronics or a mix of CGI as well for the tentacles.

----------------

Edit:
Davy Jones is completely CGI. Bill Nighy portrayed him using motion capture on the set, rather than in a motion capture studio.

From Wikipedia

That just shows me how much CGI has really improved.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I loved it.

Right through, the entire thing. I was a bit surprised with how quickly it jumped right into things but I thought it was a good idea. And the bit with Keira on the island when the three of 'em were fighting over the chest was fun. Loved the fight on the waterwheel, the entire thing. Brilliant. And Jack's final bit? Great. Was all smiles throughout.

I've got a question, though-
SPOILER! (select to read)
why's the monkey still undead? :o It bothered me all through the film...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by saysadie
why's the monkey still undead?

Is it? I thought it was just monkey...

Or is that what Jack described it as when they gave the cage to crazy lady? That bugged me - people busy laughing meant I didn't hear what he actually said. :( I hate cinemas full of people... they have such low humour thresholds...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Is it? I thought it was just monkey...

Or is that what Jack described it as when they gave the cage to crazy lady? That bugged me - people busy laughing meant I didn't hear what he actually said. :( I hate cinemas full of people... they have such low humour thresholds...

I know... the chick behind me had the most annoying horse-laugh, too. Agh. Luckily I went to the 10:30 pm showing, lot less people then...

Yeah, he went "look, an undead monkey" or something ... and then he shot it. For, um, the second, maybe third time in the film, I think.

It just doesn't make sense! It's funny, yes, but it makes no sense.

Oh, I thought the crazy lady was a bit trite, but brilliant also. Yay. I love this movie!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

It just doesn't make sense! It's funny, yes, but it makes no sense.

Maybe the lifting of the curse happened, then Jack the Monkey went back to the island and stole a gold coin.
And didn't Barbosa die? Maybe the curse of the first film wasn't lifted?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

According to his SFX interview Nighy played the part on set with lotsa green dots stuck on his facer ala Gollum which was then replaced with CGI. No prosphetics.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Originally posted by DrEvil
Maybe the lifting of the curse happened, then Jack the Monkey went back to the island and stole a gold coin.
And didn't Barbosa die? Maybe the curse of the first film wasn't lifted?

On the monkey thing-that's apparently just what he did!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_monkey

I still think it could have been made clearer... meh. Well, at least I know now!

On the other:
Since the crazy lady has a way of bringing Jack back, I'm assuming she worked a little of her odd brand of magick to bring back Barbossa, as well. And it's not a big stretch of the imagination, seeing as how the main plot device was a still-beating heart in a jar... :p
And on another point- I've just read a few reviews and I'm a little bit irked. How exactly was the plot "hard to follow"? I had no trouble figuring out what was going on in it, and I'm hardly the most observant person ever. Pft.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

That's very true. I forgot about the heart in a chest/jar/bag as the plot device. But its the only real reason there is for the resurrection.
Aha! I was right for once, it seems I know monkey logic. Now the real question is how the monkey got from the island to the ship again.

I thought the plot was easy to follow. I take it these reviewers just decided to fall asleep for a while.

And monkey's can swim?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yes, Rush's character was dead. That's kind of the point. It's hardly a great big surprise if you know he's still about, considering pretty much every survivor from the first film was in it... I dare say we'll get exposition in the next film. It's hardly TEH BIG SHOCKZ0RS if you see it coming. They were meant to put in a scene explaining it before the credits? Yeah... kill the drama dead...
How exactly was the plot "hard to follow"?

High on character motivation, low on TEH BIG EXPLOSIONS... would be my guess. :(