QQ about Rumble (comics vs. cartoon... no, not about colouring, honest...)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

QQ about Rumble (comics vs. cartoon... no, not about colouring, honest...)

Post by Denyer »

When did Rumble start using the familiar pile drivers in comic?

Don't entirely trust my memory here, but IIRC it was something the comics lifted from the cartoon after a certain point, much as the cartoon lifted the idea of a matrix being something the Autobot leader carried...
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I can't remember him ever using them in the UK marvel run, just in the '86 movie adaptation. I'm not very good at remembering things.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm, I (automatically) worded the question a bit off initially -- am including more recent comics such as DW/IDW and any of the convention stuff if anyone has examples...

edit: He's definitely got them in G2, using them in #6.

Also UK #44 + UK #29, which is the earliest I can find. So it's Furman's borrowing of the dambusters that's the source, apparently.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

arr... that'll be my hens. Must go feed the chickens...

Taken from more than meets the eye part 2 then, I presume. It being the same story et al. I wondered when his torso-drums spontaneously vanished.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
Taken from more than meets the eye part 2 then, I presume. It being the same story et al. I wondered when his torso-drums spontaneously vanished.
How many times did he actually use them, though? Off the top of my head that version of Rumble's earthquake-making only showed up in the first four-issue mini. It wouldn't be the only special ability that didn't make it into the regular series.

Bit of a shame, really. Mechanically-generated ground-waves make a lot more sense as an earthquake generating mechanism than a dwarf punching the ground...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yup. Not quite as silly as the leap in logic between US #2 and #3... one minute it's drums and transferred vibration, the next the little guy is jumping up and down to produce big cracks...

There's a scene in UK #18 where Rumble just presses a hand to the ground to transfer vibration. Furman was clearly aware of the earlier introduced power, but gave it up when adapting the TV story.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by Warcry
Bit of a shame, really. Mechanically-generated ground-waves make a lot more sense as an earthquake generating mechanism than a dwarf punching the ground...
I have a soft spot for the somewhat over-the-top piledriver technique. Poetic licence wotnot. It's an effective trademark too. In a subtler, less colourful universe setting perhaps... but a daft visual gimmick helped set him apart. Suits the character too.

Not sure which I'd go for if I were to draw the guy though... Probably the torso-drums.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The original version made it look as if he was drunkenly shaking his arse on the dancefloor.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!