Denyer

Talkback for Stormbringer #1

Post by Denyer »

Issue #1 is due out on 19th July

If you want to read 'em...

Interview: http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=208&itemid=8746
5 pages of #1: http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69310
5 pages of #2: http://idwpublishing.com/previews.shtml

...if not, the basic premise of this four-issue miniseries is to delve into what's happening with the TFs in the rest of the galaxy (especially around Cybertron) and go into a bit of its recent (for robots with long lifespans) past. It's a side-story to Infiltration, which forms part of IDW's core continuity.

Spoiler tagging works like this: {spoiler}your text here{/spoiler} except with [ ] brackets rather than { }
SPOILER! (select to read)
Like this.
Use it for discussing information revealed about issues past the current one.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Big :up:

I really, really enjoyed this. This and the Hearts of Iron mini are far better than the infiltration mini.

Personal favorite bit:
The bit where Megs wakes up Prime. Dunno why, just a cool moment, and fantastic art.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Simon.

That was good. Damn good.

I was strong enough to resist reading the previews and blurbs on this sucker for a few months now, and I'm glad I did, because I thoroughly enjoyed this issue having not had prior knowledge of what it was about and who was in it.

Where to begin with the pleasant surprises here?

How about the cast? We have Jetfire and the Technobots bent on uncovering the source of mysterious energy signals emanating from a supposedly dead Cybertron. Very good character choice for such an expedition and I actually understood for once Simon's techno mumbo jumbo. Hell, we even had a Throttlebot in this one. You just have to pleased when you see a Throttlebot because you know an effort is being made to branch away from the standard cast, and in my book, that's always a good thing. Its nice to see a threat to Prime and Megs other than each other again too.

The dialogue? Yeah, its Furmanesque, but thankfully there were no unnecessary grunting noises and "Oh"s. The way the dialogue from the flashbacks flowed into the scenes of current events and then back to flashbacks was beautifully done.

The story? Very intriguing and darkly mysterious. I was hooked from the first few pages. Really, its the mystery aspect of this story that has me drooling for the next issue. I particularly enjoyed seeing the search team downed (but out?) by issues end, as this was unexpected.

I have not been this much pleased with a Furman work since his run on G2 at Marvel. And I haven't enjoyed a TF comic this much since DW's ongoing was cancelled. I called Simon "washed up" a while back, but if he can continue to hit home by series end, an apology from myself will definitely be in order.

The art? Hey. It's Don. Nuff said.

A solid "A" comic that will have TF fans raving.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

First things first--The Transformers: Stormbringer #1 = A+

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Words can not express how much this issue ruled!

Praise Primus!

Ok...breathe...breathe...Okay, I realize that I'm one of the few that has really liked Infiltration, but now THIS mini shows why Infiltration is damn good reading. Stormbringer took what Infiltration gave us...expanded on that universe...tied some (unexpected) things in...gave us some of the backstory to "this" universe...created an even bigger world...and oddly enough, set up clues to an even bigger universe in which to explore.

I mean honestly...we got a Throttlebot. I mean who amongst us was expecting that? *JOYGASM* We got brilliant character building, very good dialogue...an intriguing mystery that had me screaming, "NO, I can't wait another four weeks for part 2!!!" and an Optimus Prime before he comes to Earth in Infiltration #6.

And the one page that will have fans talking for months...you know which one I'm talking about, but I won't spoil it if you haven't read it.

My hats off to IDW. WELL DONE! This WILL bring fans back to the fold. This WILL cause people to read Escalation--and to rethink negative views on Infiltration. This WILL bring in new fans!

I think I need a valium. :D
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as others, but it certainly was good. At any rate I have high hopes for this series.

First and foremost it was very well executed. A wonderfully dark, menacing, "clinical" tale enhanced by some pretty nifty artwork; the emotions of the characters were remarkably conveyed while the setting personified the mood of the piece. It covered a broad range of ideas and styles. Furthermore the pacing was spot on.

I agree with Zisteau in regards to that scene. A touch clichéd but delivered rather well. However...
Is that the bloody matrix! For God's sake no...

Prime came across as a believable, militaristic commander. The situation on earth didn't prompt him to say something on the lines of "I must protect the rights of all sentient beings- evil will not prevail”. It was certainly refreshing to see a non- boy scout, "Peter Perfect" Prime. He's got his troubles{Don't we all}, mental anguish, doubts etc but doesn’t go all Rodimus on us.

The actual layout of the piece was extremely well thought out. The contrast of the diverse flashbacks, Technobot and Prime scenes adds to the story, giving the “content” a more sprawling, widespread feel as opposed to the more straight down the line “Infiltration”

The big action sequence, despite being somewhat of a cliché, was also excellently delivered; very exhilarating and quite cinematic ala Infiltration.

In terms of Transformers “Stormbringer” seemed to be slightly text heavy. That may put some readers off but I for one, welcome it. The Sci-fi “mumbo jumbo” was convincing and handled appropriately, never really going overboard.

More importantly the world of the Transformers was very much believable. The scene in which the scientists came together (Albeit in holographic form) to discuss Thunderwing’s findings, regardless of their respective faction, is a prime example of this. I’m glad to see a somewhat more diplomatic, sensible approach.

The story and artwork was slightly let down by some dodgy dialogue. The OTT dialogue is very much Simon’s style. It’s what I’ve come to expect and for the most part suits the world of Transformers. No problems there. The sheer dramatic delivery is what enables Simon to incorporate those superb and furthermore memorable OTT lines. (Re: Megs’ speech in Infiltration #6)

However some of the dialogue seemed very poor indeed; at times it was almost harking back to the “Indeed Scattershot, leader of the Autobot group know as the Technobots” Marvel days. Having said that there were some nice pieces of dialogue. As I've said before, the “scientific mumbo jumbo” was handled rather well. The ending was grim, intriguing and somewhat thrilling. The best “big reveal” ending so far.

And now for the little things that brought a smile to my face:

Searchlight wasn’t roped in with the rest of the Throttlebots and moreover treated as an individual.

Pincher! I really didn’t expect my favourite scorpion to be it (Yeah that includes Scorponok)

Omega didn’t receive the DW “super size” treatment

And now for the nitpicks:
The Matrix (Which could be more than a little “niggle” depending on how Simon utilises it and how he portrays it…)
“Slag this, slag that…”

Overall it was a great opening issue; it introduced us to the series, giving us a fair amount of background but withholding enough to keep the interest up. That aside, it was a fine issue in it’s own right though I still think the TPB will be the more favourable format.
Corking stuff…
-Alex???
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

I'll tell you where Simon needs to be careful in this series.

He has a tendency to do two things which, for me, threaten a good story.

1. He goes too epic too fast. His storylines of late have encompassed Cybertron-shattering events that effect all bots on a grand scale. For example, his War Within series always included themes that affected the entire TF race with Cybertron going through "second-skin healing processes" and the such. This is good once in a while, but he needs to take the focus back to individual character development and individual character interaction because ultimately, though the overall premise may be cool, the story ends up being stale if there is no character-driven focus.

2. He gets too mystical or spiritual. In other words, he forgets we are not dealing with fleshy creatures with religious inclinations or archaic sorcery, but with metallic, mechanic beings of a scientific nature.

This first issue, he steered clear of these things. For example, though Cybertron was a focus, the story focused even more on Jetfire and his crew and their individual personalities and how they were dealing with their newfound discovery. Secondly, though the Pretenders arrival seemed much akin to the arrival of ghostly spirits from another realm, he brought it back to a scientific level by having Jetfire exclaim that it was some sort of advanced warping armor being used. See? Scientific. With that one line, he grounded things for me, and I needed that.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
2. He gets too mystical or spiritual. In other words, he forgets we are not dealing with fleshy creatures with religious inclinations or archaic sorcery, but with metallic, mechanic beings of a scientific nature.

The charecters he had following mystisism (Bludgeon, Bugly, Mindwipe) all had religious inclinations/archaic sorcery as part of their original profiles (as did various others like that funky kung fu Action Master who's name I forget), so really he's staying true to charecter. Now if he had Perceptor suddenly sacrificing virgin goats in the name of the dark lord I'd understad the complaint...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
The charecters he had following mystisism (Bludgeon, Bugly, Mindwipe) all had religious inclinations/archaic sorcery as part of their original profiles (as did various others like that funky kung fu Action Master who's name I forget), so really he's staying true to charecter. Now if he had Perceptor suddenly sacrificing virgin goats in the name of the dark lord I'd understad the complaint...

Yeah, I know its appropriate in some of the characters profiles, and as long as he keeps it there, I'm fine with that.

The problem arises when he goes overboard, for example, by making Prime repeatedly able to see the doom and gloom coming in the future. He did that with Prime in the original Marvel run, he did it with the Swarm in G2, and again we see Primes soothsayers side, where the guy can predict the future. He might as well give us the winning lotto numbers while he's at it.

I guess having the Matrix might explain this supernatural ability, but still, I like to keep such nontechnical elements to a minimum.

I just hope Thunderwing is not made out to be some sort of a supernatural god to these Pretenders, but rather a great hero, a champion who saved their lives.
WOT
Protoform

Post by WOT »

true

but he also creater the primus and unicron gods stuck in planets storyline from scrach.(and as far as i'm concerned astral plains and waring gods is not science.)
life is expensive but atleast you get a free trip round the sun every year
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Aardvark
I thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as others, but it certainly was good. At any rate I have high hopes for this series.

First and foremost it was very well executed. A wonderfully dark, menacing, "clinical" tale

Yep. Nice little start. Self contained well - did what it set out to do.

Though I nearly cried when I read "it never ends."

And not of happiness. :(
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I thought the basic idea of stormbringer was great. I'm just a little lost on the "dead transformers" as ghosts... It's not new as Starscream came back to inhabit Scourge... I just like my TF stories to be about living robots. I know the explaination of armor is supposed to make a scientific reason for the return of dead transformers but ( and maybe im off my rocker in expecting a comic about alien transforming robots to stick to accepted laws of physics) AREN'T THERE ENOUGH TRANSFORMERS ALIVE THAT DEAD ONE'S CAN REMAIN DEAD?... you decide.
Come on and wind me up.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

What makes you think the Pretenders are dead?

Way I saw it, the armour they're sporting renders them effectively invisible. Doesn't mean they're dead...
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

the way i read it i thought they were dead....
Come on and wind me up.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by another tf fan
the way i read it i thought they were dead....

No, they aren't dead.

They are simply wearing an armor that allows them to survive in the mostly uninhabitable Cybertron, which protects them from those energy storms and gives them the ability to remain hidden and cloaked.

I mean, I too would be majorly pissed if these were ghosts like Starscream, as I too want things to remain technically possible and nonspiritual.

So yeah, be happy. There is a logical explanation, given by Jetfire, for their being cloaked.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

"only organic life can withstand the plasma energy chamber."
Yawn. Trandformers that have Organic armor to shield their bodies.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
inflatable dalek

Well, this rocked didn't it? We criticise the Furman for not being able to do endings so much we tend to forget he can start stories brilliantly when he puts his mind to it. I found it a little odd that Soundwave was in amoungst the greatest Scientific minds on Cybertron (and apart from Perceptor who were the others) and Jetfire puting his battlemask on off camera would probably have confused peeps who haven't read any DW stuff as it looks as if he suddenly changers his appearence halfway through the issue.

Still, two very small niggles is a good sign, so roll on issue two!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

(and apart from Perceptor who were the others)

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin ... 82;p=20001
The other two are Mixmaster and Swerve. Due credit to Ben Yee for shaking loose the scientists from the TF pack of cards.

--Simon F
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Oh, and is that only the second time we've seen Thundey outside of his Pretender shell?
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

and Jetfire puting his battlemask on off camera would probably have confused peeps who haven't read any DW stuff as it looks as if he suddenly changers his appearence halfway through the issue.

They'd probably also notice all the red armor hes wearing suddenly and put 2 and 2 together. At least I hope they would.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Zisteau
They'd probably also notice all the red armor hes wearing suddenly and put 2 and 2 together. At least I hope they would.

Well, it took me a few seconds and I've read The Dark Ages. But then I'm thick.