Evolutions: Hearts of Steel #1-4/TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Talkback for Evolutions: Hearts of Steel #1-4

Post by Denyer »

The first issue is expected on July 5th.

Previews here: http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/preview ... rtsofsteel

If you're wondering what 'Hearts of Steel' (often shortened to 'HoS') or Evolutions are, check out: http://idwpublishing.com/titles/transformers/hos.shtml

And if anyone's interested in writing reviews for the site, feel free to volunteer.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

June 5th you say...wow they're really serious about the whole set in the past thing[/snarkvark]
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'll volenter for reviews, though as more people are likely to be reading this than the three enjoying The Art of Whores you might have a larger selection than one to choose from.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, Aardvark's also interested -- you're both likely to pick up on different things, so multiple reviews is good.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Denyer
Yeah, Aardvark's also interested --

And you're going to let him after he pointed out your date mistake in the first post? I'd have thought an "accident" would have been arranged by now.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Got it. Read it. Liked it.

Don't know why. But I liked it.

Actually, I think I do know. It's because it really took me back to the days of the Marvel run and the cartoon. At the same time, it's just different enough to avoid the "been there, done that" feeling.

It's seems to be a story that doesn't take itself too seriously, and thats the way you have to approach it.

It's a fun read, and even the pencilling by Guido is reminiscent of an episode from the cartoon.

Overall I give it a "B+", along the same lines of enjoyment as Infiltration's first two issues.
inflatable dalek

Generally it was good, the art was faberoney, and it managed not to be what I feared most, exactly the same origin as usual but with different alt modes- The idea that the Transformers were Earths original inhabitants (though it's careful not to say outright they evolved here) is enough of a different Sillurianesque take to make it worthwhile.

There isn't really much of a sense of menace yet, though I'm asuming Shockwaves plans are bigger than helping a guy inspire 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea (Incidently, did Shockers sink the experimental sub? The square speech buble "HA HA HA!" would suggest a TF involvement, but it looks as if it's the sinking that woke the cons (or at least Thundercracker) up...

Does anyone else think they reprinted Plight of the Bumblebee soley to remind readers Bumblebee's allways ben a bit of a imature c**t who'll ignore orders and commen sense if he thinks he can make a friend?
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Yeah I got it today, having read over it I'd say it’s a pretty adequate opener just so long as the plot progresses in the next issue. I did enjoy reading it and it certainly has a subtle charm but I also felt that there was little to muse over; Sure I’m interested in what Shockwave is up to but in terms of the actual content there was nothing really to ponder.

I thought the artwork was fantastic; the dark, almost muddy, sketchy style works well, the ice age modes are superb and furthermore the humans are done rather well. The dark, subtle colours and the way in which the humans are rendered almost gives the impression we’re watching an old film. I found that quite pleasing to look at and furthermore it complements the story’s setting.

My only reservation regarding the art department is that I would have liked to see larger, somewhat more focused scenes of the Transformers.

I'm not too keen on the idea of having famous characters from throughout the ages in it; Tobias Muldoon is a sponge however Twain "ROXX" The dialogue is again adequate, not a bad, not good. Helped to move the plot along. There were a few moments were the script didn't seem to click, particularly when Bumblebee opened his mouth. "Spikes Laid, John Henry" (there's a first in Transformers w00t) harked back to the days of the Marvel comics ("Indeed Minibot Bumblebee" and whatnot) rather than adding period charm to the piece.

I can't say I appreciated the "What is man" jive. It seemed rather silly and just didn't gel with the Transformers otherwise everyday English.

Bumblebee found it remarkably easy to reformat his alt mode didn't he...

The Shockwave cliffhanger did leave me yearning for more however the big Transformer reveal at the end of the issue is a tad tired.

All in all the artwork was where my interest lay even before I got the issue and for the most part, it lived up to my expectations. The story was fine and I'm certainly interested in where it’s going. A nice little opener.
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Generally it was good, the art was faberoney, and it managed not to be what I feared most, exactly the same origin as usual but with different alt modes- The idea that the Transformers were Earths original inhabitants (though it's careful not to say outright they evolved here) is enough of a different Sillurianesque take to

"Machine against machine on a distant planet":o
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Aardvark
I'm not too keen on the idea of having famous characters from throughout the ages in it;

I gennerally hate SF that has either Mark Twain, Jules Vern or H. G. Wells in it. Here we get two out of three. I don't like it because they usually "pay tribute" to tallented writters by saying they were unimagentive hacks who only got lucky by actually traveling through time/meeting aliens/becoming a claymation puppet in a advert of the Rock Lords video and writing down what they saw. Tobias is a real person then is he?

EDIT: Though calling Twain's boat Enterprise was a nice nod at his guest appearence in the Next Generation two parter Times Arrow that gave Furman the idea for the displacement thing seen in The Gathering [Yes- I know Furman said it ws The Next Phase that gave him the idea but he's wrong, Times Arrow is a much better fit...]
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

At least the nods/in-jokes are subtle unlike Infiltration; Binaltech! Shockwave on a mug! They're so bloody obvious!

Mind you, if this was an arc in the Infiltration universe I doubt we'd be hearing this many positive reviews.

Modern edit: Well, looks like my fears came true -- after a passable introduction to the series, it went completely off the rails.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Mind you, if this was an arc in the Infiltration universe I doubt we'd be hearing this many positive reviews.

What... three?!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'd call it 100%:o

But seriously I haven't read a negative review of it yet.
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
And you're going to let him after he pointed out your date mistake in the first post? I'd have thought an "accident" would have been arranged by now.

I still function...
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

I'd call it 100%:o

And 87% of people know you can use statistics to prove anything.

My main worry is that next issue really needs to introduce a plot bigger than "Bumblebee want fwiends" or "Shockwave helps guy pay dinner bill"...
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

That's basically how I'm feeling; it's a fine introduction just as long as we've been introduced to something. The pace will need to maintain a steady acceleration as the story progresses. I'm still a little peeved that we're still getting the likes of Bumblebee and Shockwave. It’s time to branch out (though “Stormbringer” has a few oddballs whether they’ll be fodder/grunts is another question). Many of the characters I once loved have become tired bugbears.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Many of the characters I once loved have become tired bugbears.

For a "Elseworld/What If?/Unbound/Infinities style story I don't mind so much because having the more recognisable charecters amoung the redesigns helps Joe Blogs who hasn't read a TF comic since he was 8 but can kinda remember the one where Prime's girlfreind shows up keep track of things. Even as trains planes and automobiles people will recognise the little yellow one and the big purple one eyed monster from across the comic book store in a way they probably wouldn't if it were Skids on there. Poor Skids.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Yeah for "HOS" I don't actually want extremely obscure characters. I'm thinking more the layer below the "Celebs" of Transformers. Frankly I just can't take anymore Bumblebee but I'm always up for a fresh/good Shockwave tale and he certainly has grabbed my interest.
-Alex???
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't know what comic the rest of you were reading, but that was diabolical. I despise "historical celebrities" stories, and it doesn't help when they have the personality of a fence. Did we really need that many pages saying Muldoon's a down-on-his luck inventor? Maybe if Dixon could write dialogue that's worth reading, this wouldn't be a problem. Is there some sort of plot reason for those two rail f*ckheads to say "John Henry" at the end of practically every sentence? We know his ****ing name from the first time, you pinheaded, worthless hack.

The art was "meh". Most of it was covering fascinating 19th-century types who all looked exactly the same - I mean, just about any artist worth their salt can drawn brownsuited humans with comedy moustaches.

Not worth it for one page of Shockwave transforming, and one page where his robot form's desperately trying to squeeze into frame
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I agree the dialogue was far from perfect (To say the least) and there was little to the story however for a first issue I think it did a pretty good job in introducing the series.

I won't think too highly of #1 if the story doesn't progress in the subsequently issues and furthermore if the quality of the scripting doesn't improve (We've had the obligatory introductory lingo etc, etc)

Anyone who doesn't like the artwork probably won’t like this at all. I personally like the style; my main complaint being that I would have liked to see some larger, somewhat more focused scenes of the Transformers. The artwork is where my interest lies and it appealed to my personal taste. I still think a profile book would have been a much more radical/better format for this. Even if this shapes up into a great story I’ll still view it as an inconsequential mini.

I thought it did its job, it wasn’t that enjoyable but it has a subtle charm I can’t quite put my finger on.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

The bit with the dishes could well be the worst bit of forced comedy in a TF comic since the "Here's one for the little guys!" gag in Armada 5...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Re: the way John Henry's addressed, the others are in awe of his abilities, which very likely net the company (the group of workers) a nice few contracts -- and which is also why, as a black guy at the time, he has a lot of respect and rather servile deference from the working men.

Weird psychology thing: the issue feels longer without a letters page.

Also, getting to the Stormbringer preview -- the text seems bloody large, doesn't it? And it is -- comparing with the same preview pages from the back of Infiltration #5, it's wider type and some of the text actually rewraps.

Page breakdown seems fine (11 of Transformers focus, 11 of human focus) and the history's sharp enough. Characters are set up to be easy to engage with, without needing much background TF knowledge. The tinted colours -- I think -- reflect the plot: when Bumblebee observes the railroad laying team, they're working through twilight to finish off the fifth mile.

What's up with Bumblebee's instant reconfiguration? If they can do that -- and on very little energy -- transforming becomes more magic/morphing than mechanical.

Liked the rhythm of the dialogue, Twain with the drink, Henry's "somethin' to take our jobs", the realities of the period of history -- which is also why I hate historical fiction as a rule, so a light touch that skirts around the detail of the suffering is welcome.

Would've preferred Bumblebee on the front cover (I got the sketch one) to be gold and shaded like the train is on the back. Yellow/grey seems a bit flat without highlights, as John Rauch has at times made clear.

Now... question is how much (and what kind of) story can be packed into another three issues. Without some jumps in the timeframe, the arc will extend to a small local plot of Shockwave's being foiled and the TFs going back into hibernation.

But I think I'm in... it's likeable and standalone.