[FICTION] Another Time and Place

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
AndrewDTurnbull

[FICTION] Another Time and Place

Post by AndrewDTurnbull »

A while ago I started adapting Simon Furman's final Marvel UK Transformers story into comic form.

AndrewDTurnbull

AndrewDTurnbull

AndrewDTurnbull

AndrewDTurnbull

AndrewDTurnbull

I collected this in print form and tweaked the lettering a bit. It was available from me at this year's Auto Assembly. I've put it up as a free to download PDF from the below link:

https://gumroad.com/l/WhCwU
AndrewDTurnbull

Part Two

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Great stuff.
AndrewDTurnbull

Thanks.

Should hopefully have the next page done in the next couple days (seeing as how I am off work).
AndrewDTurnbull

AndrewDTurnbull

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Are you going to have them at next AA?
AndrewDTurnbull

I will indeed be bringing along Book 1 and all going well Book 2 as well.

If my current schedule keeps up I will be finished with plenty of time.
AndrewDTurnbull

COMMENTARY

Panel 2 - Fortress Maximus, I've used his toy-based form for two reasons. One, I thought if he repaired himself after his tussle with Galvatron then he might have made some alterations. Two - I just purchased the smaller scale Grand Maximus from Toyworld and fancied drawing him that way.

Panel 3 - This is the first time I have made an alteration to the text, in the text Simon Furman refers to Ratchet sending the Ark to Earth as the second time that he had defeated Megatron, when in fact it was the third. I opted to not use any panel borders and let the trans-dimensional portal that Megatron had act as a frame between the three images.

Panel 4 - the last time I get to draw Ratchet in this tale. Keen eyed readers will see that there are footsteps leading to his apparently dead form. If you want them to they can be Spike's, but I have...other ideas.
AndrewDTurnbull

When Dreadwind was mentioned I wanted to harken back to his portrayal within the Marvel UK comic, where he was something of a loser, so rather than have him electrocuting poor scientist chaps in the facility I thought it would be a nice callback to just having him trip the scientist up, unpleasant as opposed to downright evil.

And yes, the poor person being electrocuted on the gantry is in fact Dr Zoidberg from Futurama.
AndrewDTurnbull

AndrewDTurnbull

We are back on track after last week’s slight hiccup.

COMMENTARY

Bit of a near splash page on this one, I have tried not to do too many for Another Time and Place as I wanted it to feel like an older comic, and back in the day a splash page was earned. It had to be something a bit special.

I thought Swoop’s plight deserved that, it’s a nice tradition in the UK Comics that Swoop gets in over his head and bad things happen to him. There’s been some slight tweaks to his Action Master mode necessitated by the script as it does mention his wings, which in keeping with the AM theme didn’t really extrude far from his arms (I took my cue from Action Master Thundercracker/Starscream) so I have enlarged them here. It just means when I do the single volume collected edition (and yes I am doing this, I will edit his appearances in part 1 to match.

I thought that Bludgeon being somewhat cruel if he was going to string the Dinobots in line, rather than having them all face in the same direction he would have them face about, that way it would be easier for all them to see each other and how badly damaged they are and demoralise them further.

This one was drawn entirely in Photoshop using some of the inking brushes from Kyle T Webster. Well worth splashing the cash on.
AndrewDTurnbull

Time for a wee festive break, so next one should be up in about three weeks.

Andy
AndrewDTurnbull

COMMENTARY

Panel 1 - a reference to the art accompanying the original text story by Stewart "Staz" Johnson.

COMMENTARY

Panel 4 - yes that little technician is the same type of mechanoid that Grimlock originally met when he was on Hydrus Four searching for Nucleon. and yes he is in a white coat.

This page was again, done digitally this time in Manga Studio 4 ex. I think I may upgrade to 5 soon, but it was pretty useful.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

We should get a 'Like' button. Nothing to add apart from: cool stuff.