BotCon 2008 registration / details and images of convention toy exclusives as they're revealed

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

BotCon 2008 registration / details and images of convention toy exclusives as they're revealed

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.botcon.com/

Confirmed exclusives (name-wise) are:

Optimus Prime (evil)
Autobot Jazz (evil)
Goldbug (evil)
Grimlock (evil)
Starscream (good)
Mini-Con Razorclaw (unknown faction)

edit: Direct to pics -- http://www.botcon.com/BotCon08/08figures.cfm
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Any word on whether the remoulds have beards?

They're not going to top Beast Wars / seekers for a while, are they?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Well, the "Mirror universe" idea sounded awesome when it was first suggested two years ago.

Sadly, it's being undermined by the characters sporting the same names as their "regular universe" counterparts (except for Goldbug, which is a shame considering the first time the name is officially reused in 21 years is on a bad guy), and seriously, why the HELL would "good guys" call themselves "Deceptions"?

Unfortunately, I also fear the characters will get boring personality swaps (as in, Optimus Prime <=> Megatron), instead of giving us more original approaches (e.g. good Megatron = "Beast Wars Silverbolt" over-the-top heroic, evil Optimus Prime = "G1 Straxus"-indifferent about anyone else but himself etc.).

But then again, if there's ONE thing you will NEVER evaaaar find in this club, it's originality.
Sades

Post by Sades »

April?!?

Dammit. Has it always been so early in the year?

The one year I know it's absolutely feasible for me to make a convention, and it's in ****ing APRIL.

Ah well. There will probably be more.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Optimus Prime (evil)-Done up in Nemesis colors, I bet. Been wondering when that usage would show up, until I saw the preview.
Autobot Jazz (evil)-I'm down with that. Target Exclusive Movie Jazz is my Classics Jazz stand-in. Glad to see more exposure for this name.
Goldbug (evil)-Hmmm . . . they've all ready used the Classics BB mold (they also used the 'Screamer mold, too), but I wouldn't mind one more time if they give him a Goldbug head.
Grimlock (evil)-He certainly has a habit of joining the decepticons in a lot of stories . . . I can see him joining the good guys, a la BW Dinobot. :eyebrow: Think about it.
Starscream (good)-Well, according to the descriptions, he's supposed to be loyal to Megs (wonder if they'll make Megs an exclusive, too).
Mini-Con Razorclaw (unknown faction)-Most likely a Decepticon, given his G1 namesake. Also, he's lumped in with Starscream in this statement:
from the brochure
and good guys Starscream and Minicon
Razorclaw
Not a bad set, per se. I'll probably pick it up for the bad guys, mainly. Though a loyal, virtuous Starscream sounds appealing, too.

EDIT: Can't wait for previews.
Ackula

A Megatron Figure to be a BotCon 2008 Exclusive

Post by Ackula »

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ve-164119/

Reported at TFW2005....
2005 Boards member Peaugh has received his new Transformers Club newsletter, in which Brian Savage reveals in his intro letter that a "benevolent Megatron" will be featured as an exclusive at BotCon 2008 as part of the Shattered Glass storyline. This figure will join the other exclusives, some of which we've reported supposed confirmations/rumors of.
So far only Megs and Starscream would interest me, and I'm sure I'll never be able to afford them.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Ooo, so are they going to mix up the oh so famous tech spec quotes as well for each character?
You know, "Peace through good intentions" or "Freedom is for hippies"
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So, '05 and '07, we get awesome sets, '06 we get a good set(I'd give them awesome, but I don't actually want any of the figures in it), and '08 we get..... M'eh.

Now, if they tie in "Timelines" and "Games of Deception" with "Shattered Mirrors"(or whatever they're calling it), that might not be too bad, storywise.

Of course, they'd also need more than one issue........ Maybe a book.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

So?

(Digs out the old link to the Mirrorverse site...)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I figured they'd do Megs. Probably won't go out of my way to snag him, if it's the gun mold. It's a nifty toy, but not worth club exclusive prices.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Preordered my set.

After last year's set, I'm excited, especially since this set is potentially six separate molds (guessing four deluxes (Jazz, Goldbug, Grimlock and Starscream), one voyager (Prime) and a minicon (Razorclaw)), as opposed to three and two thirds (since Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust share basically the same core, I'm counting Thundercracker as one (since he uses the original seeker mold), and approximating the other two as only about a third different (I'm probably off, but whatevs), so they only add a third to the total number of different molds, each).

I'm hoping that the molds breakdown as follows:
-Classics Prime-Prime. Duh. Hoping for "Nemesis" colors.
-Cybertron Hot Shot-Jazz (they really only have to add a visor to the eye portion for a perfect Jazz head). I'd like to see him done like Ricochet, seeing as he's evil or with reversed colors. Blue with white stripes would look good.
-Cybertron Crosswise-Goldbug (Like Jazz, this head only needs a slight remold to make a decent Goldbug). This is hard. On the one hand, he's gold. On the other hand, that's hardly traditional TF badguy colors.
-Classics Grimlock-Evil Grimlock. Maybe done in BW Dinobot colors to allude to him switching sides? I'm really going to be surprized if they don't play that element with him, since he has a habit of doing just that.
-Classics Starscream-Good guy Starscream. Kinda hard. TBH, he uses blue and red, all ready, which are traditional autobot colors. Maybe something more akin to the movie colors?
-Razorclaw-I'm assuming they're going to use the tiger minicon? We'll see how he turns out. Not going to speculate on colors.

All in all, it'll be fun to get my hands on these figures.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

with so many altermate tf universes i wonders how they never came arcross an "evil' one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It was usually an idea reserved for bad fanfic.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost. ... ostcount=1

Details of more toys being made in China for the Botcon 2008 convention later in the year have been made available thanks to a poster at TFW2005. The new figures are......

1. Energon Megatron repainted silver and black with blue wings and a new head.
2. Classics Rodimus painted black with a beard.

The figures will be bundled together (like the Alphatrion / Weridwolf set) along with a Minicon
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

The En Megs that came in a 2-pack with prime? The larger version's a bit big for a Botcon exclusive.
Nevermore

BotCon 2008 toy previews, inc. evil Prime

Post by Nevermore »

Starting off with evil Optimus Prime:
http://www.botcon.com/08figures.cfm
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

The colors are cool, I won't deny it, but why are there autobot symbols on his chest, isn't he a Nemesis?
Come on and wind me up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I like it more than the Classics Prime and Magnus releases, although that's damning with faint praise somewhat...
Civ

Post by Civ »

It's a mirrorverse where the Autobots are bad guys and the Decepticons are good guys.

As for Prime...meh. Not crazy about it. I'll wait and see what the others look like before passing judgement on whether or not I'll get them.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up: