Don Murphy movie news!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Don Murphy movie news!

Post by Nevermore »

From Don's message board.
Some thoughts after returning from holiday and catching up on reading every post.

1- Core characters- when I indicated that there would have to be a core team of Autos and Decepticons it was just common sense. The audience needs to care for the characters. Of course we will need a human way in- but when you think about it, the X-MEN films featured Wolverine FIRST, then Professor X and Magneto and then Cyclops and Jean and then.... petering out. I never said that there would be only 7 on either side. Just seven that are fully prominent and fleshed out. And hell, it might be 6 or 8.
2- Delays on news- we've spent the last 6 weeks since the announcemnt negotiating Paramount into the Dreamworks deal. Boring stuff but it needed to be done. Now we will have a writer IMMEDIATELY and more news will follow.
3- Simon Furman has contacted me directly offering to consult. What do you fans think of this?
4- Drew "Moriarty" McWeeney at Ain't it Old News has officially been declared an enemy of Hollywood by the Steering Committee. He seems to lack taste, morals, purpose, talent and a belt. What he lacks in respect he makes up for in blind arrogance. Friends of this site will send him unsolicted opinions about his dearth of knowledge and his girth of flesh when they have a minute. Thanks in advance.

Remember- we are listening to you. Kinda like Big Brother and Dick Cheney, but you know, more benign.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

4- Drew "Moriarty" McWeeney at Ain't it Old News has officially been declared an enemy of Hollywood by the Steering Committee. He seems to lack taste, morals, purpose, talent and a belt. What he lacks in respect he makes up for in blind arrogance. Friends of this site will send him unsolicted opinions about his dearth of knowledge and his girth of flesh when they have a minute. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, that's mature.:rolleyes:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm beginning to warm to this guy. Belligerence gets things done.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

So it sounds like there will be alot of news coming soon. What qaulity I don't know!

If they're still doing negotiations [which I hope is just a cover up], I'm hoping they're further ahead than this. I can't imagine them building all the sets, sorting all the casting and of course creating our bots. Before they even start animating them, they will spend months arguing over style and colour. So I wonder if this film will be out by 2006.

What's he going on about in the last paragaph. Am I correct, is he cussing someone in the industry, I'm rubbish at all actors & producers names. If so it seems very unprofessional!

I bet we won't see a glimpse of this film right until the last minute. Rockstar are being very hush hush about san andreas, it's out in days and all we have is a very uniformative trailer.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

I have read simon furman's stuff, but that was when I was young, I have the titan books but I'm waiting to I have the complete comic set before I start.

Who is the best person to give advice on the story of Tfs to Don?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by davetherave
Am I correct, is he cussing someone in the industry
Nah, web-journo...

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17882
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Personally, I like Furman's stuff. He works with DreamWave now, too. I think he's an excellent person to consult. He knows the cartoons, he worked on the first comics, he works on the second comics. He's pretty much had his hands in all G1 knowledge (except maybe the UK stories...I'm not sure as I've not ever seen those).

Anyway, even if he didn't work on those, I'm sure he knows about them and their stories. It's an excellent idea.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

Yeah I think he did right some if not all the UK stories he is from the UK isn't he, allthough that doesn't mean he wrote them [I'm being really lazy here and not checking]. He also did the ultimate guide which recently came out, it has the story behind primus. Again I have it but have not got round to reading it, it does look very interesting though and the bits I have read seem good to me.

Just wanted to see if any one had any objections or could think of anybody better.

I'm will read the ultimate guide tonight, because I bet Simon Furman has sent a copy to Don. It might be a basis for his research so it might give an insight to whats instore.

A huge fight between unicron and primus would be good, but maybe if they do a trilogy, they could have it as the climax. As a twist the transformers would have to sacrafice there powers to transform to reactivate primus, then cybertron could transform and stop unicron, to save the universe.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I think him blasting Moriarty (or anyone else associated with aint-it-cool-news) is one of the best parts. Pulling Furman in for consulting would be great if only to ensure the writer(s) would have a handle on the characters. Wouldn't want him getting too involved though as I'm interested in something new (other than the robots transforming into stuff aspect).
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Yeah, I'm really hoping that we don't get Unicron. I think an origin story, or a movie of the MTMTE/Whatever-it-was-called-in-the-comics story would be the best.

-Ss
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
Yeah, I'm really hoping that we don't get Unicron. I think an origin story, or a movie of the MTMTE/Whatever-it-was-called-in-the-comics story would be the best.

-Ss

even with today's technolegy in movies,i doubt they could create a beliveble unicron.
im betting a safe bet here:new continuety.yes,another.
as for forman,i like his stuff but we've been getting some overdose with him doing some armada,some energon and some g1 for dreamwave.so if he gets involved,i hope its just minor touches
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

If a transformer can be made to look realistic then unicron is just on a larger scale, there is no difference. Materials like flesh, hair & dust are much more dificult than metal. It's the transformation that would be complicated to work out but not impossible. Everything can be made realistic to a dgree, it just depends how much time or how many people you throw at it.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

If a transformer can be made to look realistic then unicron is just on a larger scale, there is no difference.
Sure there is...the biggest problem is to give it mass. That's one of the biggest problems with the Star Wars films (although it's much better in Ep. II)...it is hard to give CGI mass and make them look like they're there. And the bigger they are...the harder it is to pull off.

2D animation, it doesn't matter because everything is in focus, and nothing gets lense skewed (don't think that's the right term). But in 3D animation...audiences are not as forgiving.

Does that make sense?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Devil Z

Post by Devil Z »

They won't touch Unicron till the sequel. Cramming him and his backstory into two hours along with everybody else seems like a recipie for disaster.

I like the idea of Furman. AS A CONSULTANT. The guy knows Transformers, and has been at both ends of the fan spectrum. But I'd like to see a fresh writing team work on it.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

When I suggested Unicron, it was within a trilogy. I read something Don said a while ago, as he maybe doing this as a trilogy, it was something to those words. he also said he wanted to encompass everything from the true tf universe, as unicron has featured in G1, beastwars, armarda & energon, it's a sure bet that he may not appear in the first movie as it would shadow the fact that their is an already amazing story to be told without unicron stealing the show, but he would grace us with his presence eventually. Not to have him would be such a shame, he would be the biggest villian every to appear on the silver screen.

There are so many vast storylines that make Transformers have such a solid universe. If this film does well we are bound to see a trilogy.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

As for the rendering of the mass of unicron, as long as you have the model of unicron, as I said it's still not a problem I've seen loads of rendered space scenes and they look very realistic all the planets looked like they were huge.
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

Originally posted by Brimstone
Personally, I like Furman's stuff. He works with DreamWave now, too. I think he's an excellent person to consult. He knows the cartoons, he worked on the first comics, he works on the second comics. He's pretty much had his hands in all G1 knowledge (except maybe the UK stories...I'm not sure as I've not ever seen those).

Anyway, even if he didn't work on those, I'm sure he knows about them and their stories. It's an excellent idea.

furman pretty much wrote all of the tf uk material apart from man of iron chain of command and dry run if i am correct ( wich i might not be )
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

There are so many vast storylines that make Transformers have such a solid universe.

If that's true, then why bother with Unicron at all? I'm really rather sick of seeing him. That's one thing I loved about Beast Wars: THERE WAS NO UNICRON (except in Neo, but hey...).

And before you start trying to argue the point, I am fully aware of the Vok manifestation and the appearance in the Starscream flashback. However, those don't count, as one wasn't even really him, and the other was just a throwback.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

I'm sick of seeing Prime, in nausiating molds but it's still part of the universe that makes tfs.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

When I suggested Unicron, it was within a trilogy. I read something Don said a while ago, as he maybe doing this as a trilogy

What usualy happens is that they plan thses things as one off's, and then when they're a success claim they always had a trilogy in mind and the sequels aren't just quick cash ins (paging Mr. Lucas...)

After reading Energon 27 I'd almost rather have Jose Delbo working on the film than Furman ;)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!