VERY Hi-Res robot mode pics from Bay himself...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
trilobitepictures
Protoform

VERY Hi-Res robot mode pics from Bay himself...

Post by trilobitepictures »

Some old pics (like Jazz and Bumblebee), some new (like Starscream, Ironhide and Frenzy). EXTREMELY Hi-Res.

http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/newsblog.html
http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/files/d5 ... 54-74.html (post)

Enjoy.
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Pretty good lookin stuff,
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

A bit busy, but I'm getting a little more used to them. I can definitely see them being great, while moving on the screen, and I like the scraped-up look that Iron Hide has going on. It definitely fits with the G1 depiction of him, as a crusty veteran. Make no mistake.

Announcer: Cross that line and he'll **** you up!
IH: Oooooooh!
Announcer: Nobody ****s you up like Iron Hide!
IH: Whispers You said a bad word.

And now we know why Megatron refused to smile in his yearbook photo. :p

Starscream's doing pelvic thrusts again . . . :wtf:
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

First clear image that I have seen of Movie Blackout. Looks fantastic, definitely one of my favorite designs thus far. Love the battle stance.

Ironhide......the top half looks okay. His legs are a complicated and tangled mess of parts, kind of difficult to make out what is what. A little too complicated, actually. Almost appears that it would be phyically impossible for it (same goes for the Megatron model) to transform into...well, anything. Still, lovely renderings.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They're better than the publicity shots. Megatron in particular looks better there.

Don't like the peeled/splayed metal over-complication or the toes.

Starscream makes an interesting goat demon:

http://www.michaelbay.com/images/tf/png/starscream.png

Again, massively too complicated for the mechanics to be even slightly credible.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
Again, massively too complicated for the mechanics to be even slightly credible.

I've got an amoeba here who has much the same view about your circulatory and nervous systems.

Snyarf.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Didn't Frenzy go after Tommy Monaghan at one point?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Starscream makes an interesting goat demon:

http://www.michaelbay.com/images/tf/png/starscream.png

When you add the fact that his toy makes him look like a chicken, poor Starscream get get away without people accusing him of being a furry, can he?
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Don't like the peeled/splayed metal over-complication or the toes.

Me neither, but I suspect it was a solution they had to adopt in some manner for them to actually be able to walk. The calf-and-foot-fused-together-chunk seen in the cartoons and comics clearly wouldn't work.

Seeing them in actual movement will make or break them, but these shots are pretty encouraging.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Brendocon
I've got an amoeba here who has much the same view about your circulatory and nervous systems.
We're not that complicated (hands/neurology aside) -- a lot of us is still made up of calcium-reinforced struts, with piston type arrangements to push and pull them around, jacketed with a flexible top layer.

It's the "flexible top layer" bit that doesn't translate well to metal. For starters, none of the old TF designs we're familiar with could move like humans. (Though there's no reason they should; in some respects mobility is more limited, but transformation architectures create other fields of movement.)

I'm a bit disappointed that the creative team have set out to reverse engineer humans, including "skin" made up of so many individual parts. It makes for Hollywood aliens and recognisable ways of moving backed with loud sounds for shock-and-awe factor... rather than, say, the surprise of realising a car hood has a head above it.

Show me the process in extreme slow motion and I'd probably be happier with that, but I don't think we're going to get much of that sort of effect because it could easily undermine the designs. Would be glad to be wrong.
Originally posted by Cliffy
Didn't Frenzy go after Tommy Monaghan at one point?
Yeessss...

Frenzy is ridiculous, the pipes and struts thing taken to daft extremes.
Originally posted by Zisteau
The calf-and-foot-fused-together-chunk seen in the cartoons and comics clearly wouldn't work.
The old designs, certainly. The mecha-type designs of recent would be more feasible, as those aren't block limbs. They still wouldn't move in a way you'd describe as "alien animal" -- which is the aesthetic the film-makers have gone with, trying to distance themselves from everything that's gone before.

I'd prefer a more halfway house, and I think we'll see a fair number of mainstream reviews writing the designs off as too busy.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Megatron is going to give me nightmares.:eek:

Seriously. He's ether operating on the bear minimum or he's a failed micromaster design.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Yep, I think maybe the designers have been playing a bit too much Warcraft.

http://www.michaelbay.com/images/tf/png/frenzy.png
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/warcraft/w ... owbc50.jpg
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

These are mean looking robots. I'm so lovin this and and can't wait for the movie.

Oddly enough I saw these on the Lunchables website first.
Come on and wind me up.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I dunno... I was looking at some of the movie CGI images the other day (not these, mind you), and it occured to me that the metal-thrown-in-a-blender designs make infinite more sense when you consider that they don't have an Ark or some other piece of equipment to wave a magic wand to give them alternate modes. The movie robots have to be able to reconfigure their bodies' alternate modes at will and without any assistance from other equipment, so being composed of many tiny parts instead of blocky pieces is far more feasible.

Conversely, the relatively blocky appearence of Binaltechs/Alternators also works since the chassis are, according to the booklets, built by human-run car companies. Those are static and can't be reformatted at will according to the little Binaltech canon, which is a great contrast to the self-contained, self-reformatting movie characters.

EDIT: Frenzy is terrible, though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Clay
they don't have an Ark or some other piece of equipment to wave a magic wand to give them alternate modes. The movie robots have to be able to reconfigure their bodies' alternate modes at will and without any assistance from other equipment, so being composed of many tiny parts instead of blocky pieces is far more feasible.

Which is more feasible -- some form of reformatting/retooling process they can work on each other by traditional engineering means, or being magically able to turn into, say, a steam train / grocery truck / car by scanning it and moving those many tiny parts around to mimic its shape and colour scheme?

The only reason there isn't an ship or other engineering facility is purely down to (dumb) choices made in the script. In which TFs are a race of morphers.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Then there's that whole load of cobblers about the Allspark/Matrix/Macguffin bringing inanimate human devices to life, which is far more tied up in magic than science fiction. Unless they've dropped that now, which'd be a start...
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by another tf fan
Oddly enough I saw these on the Lunchables website first.

wait, what?

so the director was beat to the punch by crappy children's lunch items?

and why were you on the lunchables website, pray tell?
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Which is more feasible -- some form of reformatting/retooling process they can work on each other by traditional engineering means, or being magically able to turn into, say, a steam train / grocery truck / car by scanning it and moving those many tiny parts around to mimic its shape and colour scheme?

It depends. If it's a human-tech affair, I'd say the former. For a race self-sustaining alien robot fellows, I'd assume the latter.

Wasn't it Arthur C. Clarke that said any technology, suitably advanced (from the realm of general knowledge), is indistinguishable from magic?

The bit you mentioned in the spoiler would make this reasoning fall apart if the film makers have kept it, though.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

As mentioned earlier, here are those Lunchable wallpaper images, all seem to be new(er), of Prime, Ironhide, Blackout, and finally, Ratchet. As seen at tformers.cm.

Mirrored
ImageImageImageImage
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Originally posted by redman prime
wait, what?

so the director was beat to the punch by crappy children's lunch items?

and why were you on the lunchables website, pray tell?

What YOU DON'T go to lunchables.com for all your transformers related news?

Actually I bought a lunchable in Safeway simply because it had a movie tie in, and went to the website to unlock my secret code....

the lunchable made a nice snack with beer.
Come on and wind me up.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I eat lunchables. Good stuff when you want something quick, but can't be bothered to buy a full pack of lunchmeat, a loaf of bread and a pack of cheese.

Afew questions about the new pics. What exactly is Blackout doing, and what are those things, growing out of Prime's forearms. :eyebrow: