Marvel G1 "The Transformers" (UK) Chronological Reading Order

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Agamus

Marvel G1 "The Transformers" (UK) Chronological Reading Order

Post by Agamus »

Hi. New here, somebody pointed me to this site from TFW2005 as a good place to find individuals knowledgeable on old Transformers comics. Long story short, I've been reading US G1 since I was little, but I've only recently gotten into the vastly superior fiction from across the pond in anticipation of Classics UK Vol. 6's release. I'm just about to hit Time Wars as of this posting, but everything aside from Mind Games and The Two Megatrons seems to be in order. Tell me what you think!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Again, new.)
"JUST DO IT" -Spike Witwicky, The Transformers (1984) Issue #51
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Looks solid to me - and thanks, I had no idea that Christmas story even existed!

Going to punt this into the TF media forum but it's not a problem :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

List looks generally sound to me, very nicely put together.

From your footnotes at the bottom: My ongoing website project talks about the various changes to US issues along the way, remind me when I've got a sec to put a list together. The big ones are in Gone But Not Forgotten though: http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/transformers-uk107.html

[And I think I'm forgiven the shameless self-promotion after Cliffy has forgotten he read all about the US Christmas story in the book of the site!]
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Think I vaguely remember this from 5+ years ago -- looks decent, although to some extent reading stuff out of order and piecing it together could be considered part of the UK weekly/fortnightly comic experience and helps paper over the cracks.

Welcome. :)
Agamus

Post by Agamus »

inflatable dalek wrote:List looks generally sound to me, very nicely put together.

From your footnotes at the bottom: My ongoing website project talks about the various changes to US issues along the way, remind me when I've got a sec to put a list together. The big ones are in Gone But Not Forgotten though: http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/transformers-uk107.html

[And I think I'm forgiven the shameless self-promotion after Cliffy has forgotten he read all about the US Christmas story in the book of the site!]
There's already a link down there!:D
Agamus

Post by Agamus »

Denyer wrote:Think I vaguely remember this from 5+ years ago -- looks decent, although to some extent reading stuff out of order and piecing it together could be considered part of the UK weekly/fortnightly comic experience and helps paper over the cracks.

Welcome. :)
I see what you mean, but this is mostly my personal cheat-sheet haha. Hopefully anybody else crazy enough to want to try this would also be crazy enough to criticize the hell out of somebody else's attempt.
inflatable dalek

Ha, well I can't catch everything...

It looks as if Classics UK 6 has been delayed again (It's supposed to be out next week, but it hasn't appeared in Previews yet), but hopefully it won't be knocked back too far.
Agamus

Post by Agamus »

According to TFWiki it's been pushed back to late June, although I'm not sure where they got that from.
inflatable dalek

On some of the out of continuity stuff, Raiders of the Last Ark is specifically mentioned during the Wrath of... 2 parter (they remember Windcharger can twat Guardian), so that one definately "Happened". As Enemy Within leads into Raiders that probably extends back to that one as well.

Part of the fun of Marvel continuity is it allows lots of discussion and alternate takes.
Agamus

Post by Agamus »

inflatable dalek wrote:On some of the out of continuity stuff, Raiders of the Last Ark is specifically mentioned during the Wrath of... 2 parter (they remember Windcharger can twat Guardian), so that one definately "Happened". As Enemy Within leads into Raiders that probably extends back to that one as well.

Part of the fun of Marvel continuity is it allows lots of discussion and alternate takes.
Yeah, I'm having another pass at those because they're definitely worth reading regardless. It seems there's some debate on whether the early UK stories take place in Prisoners of War or The Last Stand though, depending on whether you buy into Robot Wars or TFWiki's placement, which is a bit of a hangup.
Agamus

Post by Agamus »

inflatable dalek wrote:remind me when I've got a sec to put a list together.
About that. I did a quick read through of every single caption on Transformation and came up with the following:

#22, #68, #70, #107, #108, #109, #139, #180, #191, #192, #194,and #196.

Correct me if I missed any

You said #129 removed the next-issue blurb on the last page and #157 localized the spelling of armor/armour, but those alterations were weren't very significant and I'm assuming not unique either.

A few of your links are kind of broken after Target:2006 too. Almost forgot.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Just found this thread. Good work! Couple of corrections...

"The Gift" should be set after "Decepticon Graffiti", because the former is a Christmas story and the latter is set during the summer holidays (the cheque that Donny writes in the coda scene is dated to October).

"A Small War" is set several months in the past (I don't have the comics to hand), which dates that story to around the time of "Club Con".

"Two Megatrons" takes place before "Interplanetary Wrestling", as the Decepticon Micromasters are working for the real Megatron in that story.
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
inflatable dalek

Whoops on those broken links, I'll fix them first chance I get. Thanks for the heads up.
Agamus

Post by Agamus »

Ryan F wrote:Just found this thread. Good work! Couple of corrections...

"The Gift" should be set after "Decepticon Graffiti", because the former is a Christmas story and the latter is set during the summer holidays (the cheque that Donny writes in the coda scene is dated to October).

"A Small War" is set several months in the past (I don't have the comics to hand), which dates that story to around the time of "Club Con".

"Two Megatrons" takes place before "Interplanetary Wrestling", as the Decepticon Micromasters are working for the real Megatron in that story.
For some reason I didn't see this until now... But yeah "The Gift" definitely should be placed after that group of summer issues.

"A Small War" being set in the past is a part of it's narrative though, so reading it where it actually took place makes it seem like it took place a year prior to that point, plus it's only relevant right before "The Interplanetary Wrestling Championship".

I dunno what I'm going to do with "Mind Games" and "Two Megatrons!" now though.. I guess I'll have to re-read the relevant issues. My general idea was that both Megatrons were making their own independent actions at the same time, and that it's ambiguous as to which one was commanding who and when (especially with Dreadwind and Darkwing).