Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Wildrider

Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by Wildrider »

There's too much bashing of our beloved minibot, sure he's small and orange, but there is more to him than his 'percieved' annoyance. The little man has recieved no detailed charactersation beyond the fact he speaks like a nursery rhyme, is friends with a small boy (social skillz!), and carries a much underestimated catapult.

He is plagued by the misconceptions and hate crimes of a community who should know better.

So let's examine the evidence, wheel (lol) start wth his original G1 tech specs!

Strength '5' - He's harder than Cliffjumper! (4)

Intelligence '6' - He's more intelligent than fanboy favourite Target Master Hot Rod (5)

Speed '8' - Wow he's quicker than Sideswipe, Sunstreaker AND Target Master Blurr!

Endurance '9' - He's got as much staying power as Metroplex AND
Fortress Maximus!(9) More than Jetfire! (4) WowzorRz!

Rank '5' - He's as valued in the Autobot chain of command as Brawn! (Dead OR Alive).

Courage '9' - This kid's got just as much balls as Ultra Magnus, Springer, Kup and most of the Dinobots(9)!!!

Firepower '7' - This slingshot has more firepower than Prowl and Jazz (5) Packing just as much heat as Computron! (7)OMFG!

Skill '8' - This minibot has more skillz than Omega Supreme (6) and Superion (7)

Plus in TFTM he owned Grimlock and made him his bitch with one hit on the nose from his mighty slingshot! This kid is a talisman to the Autobot cause and feared and respected by his adversaries.

So just think twice before you jump on the 'Wheelie suxXorRz lol' bandwagon, he's an under developed character with alot to offer and he in fact owns alot of your fan boy favourites!

Lets look at his universe profile and look at a few key phrases that only re-inforce his value to us, the community. The only way to change prejudice is education.

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
FUNCTION: SURVIVALIST
FIRST APPEARANCE: THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE # 3

"Only the fierce shall live."

Profile: Wheelie is the "wild boy" of Quintesson - an Autobot-like youth lost when his ship went down, the only survivor of his party, staying alive by cunning and stealth and fearlessness. He speaks in odd, rhyming sentences and despises the Sharkticons and Quintessons, who are his mortal enemies. He is a staunch friend to the Dinobots, who take to him immediately, and a reliable ally in difficulties for Hot Rod and Kup when they take on the Sharkticons.

Abilities: He fights only when he's under attack and has to defend himself. He uses a three-bladed knife(WOW!) and a sling which hurls fire stones when he must attack his enemies or defend himself.

So to conclude, Wheelie rocks! So all of you, yes you at the back, STFU!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tech specs are relative to size categories, so I'd assume they're relative to build categories as well... a comparison with other minibots may be fair, but citybots or even regular Autobot warriors would kick his ass. Plus Grimlock was clearly suffering from some sort of neural degenerative disorder by the end of Season Two, probably due to Wheeljack's shoddy workmanship...

It probably depends on which Wheelie we're talking about too... the Japanese series one was a bit more punkish, and then there's this alt-continuity, produced when the movie characters were being touted to publishers with a deliberately vague backstory so as not to spoil events of the film:

http://members.fortunecity.com/pam_smit ... eelie.html
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Yeah but dude the point is we never see that side to him! he just wanders around getting into trouble with Daniel, he's Bumblebee Mark II but even more annoying!!!! if he didn't rhyme then yeah, no problem at all, he could even have a battle-cry but until that day he shall always dampen my spirit whenever i encounter him in cartoon or comicbook format

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
MirageHoundFan
Protoform

Post by MirageHoundFan »

Not to mention Wheelie was the one who came up with a on-the-spot idea to defeat Trypticon in the Headmasters opening three-parter

"So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave" - Captain Mal Reynolds
Alligatorcon
Protoform

Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by Alligatorcon »

Originally posted by Wildrider

Skill '8' - This minibot has more skillz than Omega Supreme (6) and Superion (7)

But alas, poor wheelie got killed by superion in TROOP (he never showed up again after that, in the US cartoon atleast:D )
Ba weep granna weep ninny bang, it's a universal greeting-Illidan Stormrage
Draghignazzo
Protoform

Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by Draghignazzo »

He fights only when he's under attack and has to defend himself. He uses a three-bladed knife(WOW!) and a sling which hurls fire stones when he must attack his enemies or defend himself.

Oh yeah, I forgot Wheelie was never under attack during the entire movie, 3rd Season, Rebirth or the Headmasters Series. This sheds a whole new light on things.
Skylynx delivers!

Just pretend the avatar is Skywarp ^^
Wildrider

Re: Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by Draghignazzo
Oh yeah, I forgot Wheelie was never under attack during the entire movie, 3rd Season, Rebirth or the Headmasters Series. This sheds a whole new light on things.

The point is his inherent nobility and ethics, core virtues in the Autobot code! Did I say he was never attacked? In an ideal world he would react as the bio suggest in a non aggressive way, in war he would probably react differently. Would Grapple stop and build a hospital in the middle of an Autobot assault, just because his bio said he was an architect?

I think a comparison, to some bots in categories such as skill, intelligence and courage is relevant. Size is irrelevant to these qualities, in fact I think an individual who is smaller in size , who posesses these traits is all the more admirable.

Sure I think comparing his strength to a city bot would be futile, as is firepower, the Computron comparison is meant to be tongue in cheek. Although in relation to other mini-bots and generic bots of medium size, he's still pretty nifty.

The point is although, he's often the whipping boy of every TF fan in the land, but in comparison with known favourites he comes out favourably andwell abover average. Certainly in the mini-bot category/medium class, he's not to be under-estimated.

As for which Wheelie we're talking about? The Western G1 interpretation of Wheelie is who I'm familiar with, I just think he hasn't been portrayed in various medias with the respect his tech specs/bio deserve!

Respect the Wheelie, he'll kick your ass!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

i only really like his alt-mode...

Hunter S.Thompson
inflatable dalek

Re: Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Alligatorcon
But alas, poor wheelie got killed by superion in TROOP (he never showed up again after that, in the US cartoon atleast:D )

What actually happened is the Quintesson rebuilt Wheelie into an exact double of Blaster. No, really... Wheelie is with the Autobots who get shoot down, Blaster is suddenly in his place when they wake up. Don't ask me why he did it, but considering he also made Bumbleebee into an exact lookalike of a Throttlebot I'm thinking Kup should thank his lucky stars he didn't wake up with Longtoth's face...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Draghignazzo
Protoform

Re: Re: Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by Draghignazzo »

The point is his inherent nobility and ethics, core virtues in the Autobot code! Did I say he was never attacked? In an ideal world he would react as the bio suggest in a non aggressive way, in war he would probably react differently. Would Grapple stop and build a hospital in the middle of an Autobot assault, just because his bio said he was an architect?

I dunno, you aren't making much sense. If the world(s) were at peace, Wheelie would stand and fight (brave lad) but since the world(s) are at war he just tucks his tail when the going gets tough? Hell, even Daniel is braver! He tricked one of the Gestalts (cant remember which) to fall down a chasm early in the Headmasters show. And he's like, 8 years old during Headmasters. While wheelie urged him to run away. Ugh.
Skylynx delivers!

Just pretend the avatar is Skywarp ^^
inflatable dalek

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Hell, even Daniel is braver! He tricked one of the Gestalts (cant remember which) to fall down a chasm early in the Headmasters show. And he's like, 8 years old during Headmasters. While wheelie urged him to run away. Ugh.

It was actualy Wheelie who tricked Trypsey into the chasm whilst Daniel wanted to run away.
Wildrider

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wheelie a case for the defence, where is the love?

Post by Wildrider »

I dunno, you aren't making much sense. .

I'm sorry you're referencing the 'Headmasters' cartoon ? Where Chromedome rules supreme?! You seem to have missed the point of this entire thread.

My point, try to stay with me, is as follows.

That given his tech specs and universe profile, Wheelie has been mis-represented in the TF medias in the past. He is actually a tough, courageous and intelligent little fellow, but despite this he is constantly berated by the TF community based on his idiotic portrayal in various formats i.e. cartoon.

We, as a community, realise how crap and flawed the cartoon is, especially 'Headmasters' and it's various dubs, yet we treat it's portrayal of Wheelie as fact.

Which would mean we should all accept Grimlock as the big doofus he is in Season 3, because you know, it was in the cartoon and TV never lies.

Hence Wheelie has not recieved appropriate character development in line with his original bio/tech specs, mainly because of the prejudice levelled at this character and the subsequent 'Wheelie sux lol' fanboy chants.
Skywarp the Seeker
Protoform

Post by Skywarp the Seeker »

Not to derail the thread, but going back to that site full of the old storybooks revealed the wierdest thing I have ever seen--Megatron driving a black Cadillac.

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Wildrider, I want your babies.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon
Wildrider, I want your babies.

Why does no one ever want my babies? My babies would be beutiful, happy children...
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Why does no one ever want my babies? My babies would be beautiful, happy children...
Well that depends on who you breed with...

Hunter S.Thompson
Bouncelot
Protoform

Post by Bouncelot »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Why does no one ever want my babies? My babies would be beutiful, happy children...

Surely you mean beautiful, happy, horribly mutated descendants of the Kaleds? :p
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by Bouncelot
Surely you mean beautiful, happy, horribly mutated descendants of the Kaleds? :p

who are the Kaleds...?:wtf:

Hunter S.Thompson
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I think Bouncealot meant Daleks.
Destruction is my specialty
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »